Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The secret of monkey island SE for the 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Sweet! My friend had his Monday Musing published on xbox live about a month ago about this game. Wonder if it got the message across. hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

How appropriate. You fight like a cow!

Brilliant.

Brilliant.

Brilliant.

Can you imagine playing Secret of Monkey Island with the graphics the next gen consoles can produce? However, I hope they stick to the same style of animation, if not using the same as #3. I didn't particularly like the graphich in #4.

Secret of Monkey Island
    Monkey%201.JPG

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    monkey2c.JPG

Curse of Monkey Island
    miyellowbeardsrestaurant_2.jpg

Escape from Monkey Island
    escape-from-monkey-island-44.jpg

Ah- a walk down memory lane. But I still rather the graphics in #3. To be completely honest, I would rather see a completely new Monkey Island 5 than a remake of Monkey Island 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Fremen wrote: »
    How appropriate. You fight like a cow!

Look behind you! Three headed monkey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I'm selling these fine leather jackets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ah, Murray the demonic skull, how gaming has missed thee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Vyse wrote: »
    http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/the_secret_of_monkey_island_co.php

Would be great news if this came to fruition. This game ranks in my top 5 of all time, an absolute classic. Played it on the Amiga all those years ago (although I did need to upgrade my memory to 1MB).

HAHA. 1meg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

docentore wrote: »
    Look behind you! Three headed monkey!
    Im Rubber you are Glue
    chrislad wrote: »
    Ah, Murray the demonic skull, how gaming has missed thee!

Ye i read apparntley if you type SKULL in #4 a full body murrary appears..Youtubed it and couldnt find anything..Theres a similar one in Grim Fandango where Manny explodes...strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

To be completely honest, I would rather see a completely new Monkey Island 5 than a remake of Monkey Island 1.

Yeah but only if the original makers were doing i.e Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert... Ron has been quoted as saying that he had originally planned a trilogy and the Secret of Monkey Island would have been revealed in the third game. His involvement stopped after Le Chucks Revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

1 & 2 are the quintessential monkey island. i'd love to see this on the 360. i even watched a walkthrough on youtube a few months ago. it brought back many 16 bit memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I remember fondly dueling with insults on the pirate ship what a class set of games I cant wait to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You never actually duelled on the ship...

Making up the recipe on the ship had me stumped for such a long time though! Still one of my favourite games, but as said, 1 and 2 were the best, after that they were simply poor imitations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I think they should leave the graphics alone. Those screenshots posted here with the filtering on them even look awful. It makes the characters look all blurry and plastic-y I could live with it I guess..

They would totally and utterly rape the game and my childhood if they added voices though. That would just totally ruin it for me :P

I hated how Guybrush sounded in the 3rd one, was nothing like the voice I had created for him in my head when I was a kid.

Edit: I do find it funny how crap the 4th game looks in comparison to the 3rd. Worse graphics and moving from nice and easy mouse control to keyboard was a step FORWARD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Making up the recipe on the ship had me stumped for such a long time though!

Christ, yes! Think that took me a few months to crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I only played Curse of Monkey Island, fell in love with it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I really hope they don't add voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Haven't played the fourth one - I didn't even know it existed until recently. But, the first three are classics. The Animation style in the third one was outstanding - I don't much like the look of the fourth one, it looks like they were just reusing the Grim Fandango engine and it didn't work out as well.

As for adding voices, I don't think it would ruin the experience (and it's going to happen anyway - they're hardly going to release the VGA version, with SoundBlaster 16 MIDI soundtrack on a next-gen console. Ooooh, they probably should as an Extra :pac:). Besides, the voice of Murray in the third one was Spot-on :D

Could this be the start of something new (not just LucasArts broadening out from miling the cash cow that is Star Wars), but will we get classic games like Day of the Tentacle coming out as well. Excellent if it happens ...

But the kids won't want to READ in a game will they?
    Won't someone think of the children?

I agree that there should be no voices... while the voice acting in 3+4 was well enough done, I think that they went a bit overboard with making Guybrush sound a bit pathetic. That should simply be shown through his actions and peoples reactions to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

There should be an option to turn voices off if they do add them. Replayed Indy Jones and the Search for Atlantis recently and I had to turn the voices off. And leave the graphics alone. Monky 2 is still the best looking game of all time in my opinion.

• Advertisement

The vivid green of the loogies in the contest is unsurpassed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHojfwdLucI

At the end it just says Wii and PC.

Or are we talking about a different game here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHojfwdLucI

At the end it just says Wii and PC.

Or are we talking about a different game here?

Can't watch that in work but I presume thats the new episodic games that Telltale Games (Sam & Max) are doing called Tales of Monkey Island.

The remake of Secret on Live and PC is just that, a full on remake with new voices, graphics and music.

Quite like the look of the Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition, and particularly like that they haven't changed it at all, beyond the spit and polish graphics and the audio. And that you can at the press of a button, switch between the old graphics and the new ones!

And that you can at the press of a button, switch between the old graphics and the new ones!

Thats what I've been waiting to hear.

The new games might actually be good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pics up on Kotaku compare some old screens with the new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Built in hints!? :eek:

Looks good though in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Built in hints!? :eek:

Looks good though in fairness!
    You've got to keep the so-called casuals interested. Back in the days before the Internet was so accessible, you could be stuck for months on the one puzzle :D It's just like having GameFAQs built in. You don't have to look at the hints... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm sure theyll make an achievement for not using any hints which will encourage players to figure it out for themselves..

ppl seem addicted to gamer points :P

Advertisement