Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Basketball Courts Limerick/Surrounding Areas

• 20-05-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any that are in a usable state? Im willing to travel a bit but not too far.. i know there are some in tipp town which are first class but its a bit far to go all the time..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Isn't there one across from the Absolute Hotel, beside the car park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are (were) some outdoor courts at Salesian Secondary School. AFAIK some basketball clubs used to train there. Well up to 15 years ago anyway.

Salesian Secondary School
    Fernbank
    North Circular Road
    Limerick City
    Co. Limerick

Tel: +353 61 454 093
    fax: +353 61 454 608

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Baldie wrote: »
    Isn't there one across from the Absolute Hotel, beside the car park?

can anyone confirm this? if not i will have a look today is it behind the car park?

YFlyer wrote: »
    There are (were) some outdoor courts at Salesian Secondary School. AFAIK some basketball clubs used to train there. Well up to 15 years ago anyway.

Salesian Secondary School
    Fernbank
    North Circular Road
    Limerick City
    Co. Limerick

Tel: +353 61 454 093
    fax: +353 61 454 608

Ya used to play there every summer years ago.. but judging from driving past i dont think the hoops are there anymore.. not for public use anyway..

Thanks though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Scoil Ide in Corbally has a good outdoor court, only problem is that it tends to be a spot that the local teens hang out.

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    can anyone confirm this? if not i will have a look today is it behind the car park?

Walk across the bridge by the Absolute Hotel. Keep on the left, going towards St Mary's Park. It's before the car park on your left. It's on the N7 between Sir Harry's Mall and Sheep Street somewhere.

Map Sorry, I can't get Google maps to link to Boards....

thanks guys gonna go check both scoil ide and the absolute tonight fingers crossed.. whats the problem with the teenagers at scoil ide do they play there or just hang out? i wonder if the scoil ide one is 10ft hoops doubt it for a primary school.. but will drive by anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

thanks guys gonna go check both scoil ide and the absolute tonight fingers crossed.. whats the problem with the teenagers at scoil ide do they play there or just hang out? i wonder if the scoil ide one is 10ft hoops doubt it for a primary school.. but will drive by anyway..

They tend to hang out there, cos they can't be seen from the road, the usual problems of drinking and such later in the evenings.but with the long evenings i don't think it'd be an issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

One of the yards in Ardscoil Rís used to be a basketball court. They removed the hoops in case anybody got hurt playing there at break times :rolleyes: :mad:

Update:

Me and my 13 yr old took a drive round limerick tonight..

The court across from absolute hotel is a private court for the gaelscoil round the corner and is sealed off.. not really an adults court as its more of a p.e. area.

The court at scoil ide is there and accessible but the hoops have been ripped off the backboards..

the court at saleisans is lookin pretty decent but again is private and not accessible.

Ard Scoil has a few decent backboards but no hoops..

my 13 yr old said try castletroy college and yes they have two excellent courts but surrounded by a nine foot fence with padlocked gates so again non public.. which is a real pity..

So i still have not found a proper court to play on anybody got any more suggestions or ideas?

Again thanks for all the help..

Who would i contact regarding the lack of 1 decent public court in this so called "city"? In the UK they are everywhere and after just returning from paris they are all over the place there too..

i was also in the basketball forum here at boards and it seems the same situation all over the country.. guys in dublin say they are even scarce..

I know basketball aint as popular as say football, rugby or gaa but come on one court for the population of limerick is not much to ask for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I know if your a member of UL you can use the courts but that ain`t much good unless your a member, surely there`s an outdoor court in UL.

I know if your a member of UL you can use the courts but that ain`t much good unless your a member, surely there`s an outdoor court in UL.

None in UL badboy.. only decent ones so far in castletroy college but they are fenced off..

but when i do find one badboy can we drag ya away from the decks/out of retirement for a pick up game?!?

Let us know if you find one, I wouldn't mind going for a few games myself.

None in UL badboy..quote]

Don't UL hire out the courts? I played indoor soccer there a few years back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

St Munchin's College in Corbally had an outdoor court. Might be worth phoning to see if they would let you use it.

Kess73 wrote: »
    St Munchin's College in Corbally had an outdoor court. Might be worth phoning to see if they would let you use it.

Thanks i will try have a look this evening.. ya baldie sure ill let you know..

if your ever out the tipp town direction and the urge to shoot a few hoops gets to ya they have an awesome court out there (all weather, public, 4 baskets, new backboards and hoops).. i think as soon as we get a decent hot day ill head our there for a few hours.. but thats about as far as id go id say..

yes i think ul do hire out the courts but it could prove a bit expensive for just a shoot around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

061-348 922 / 348 963 is the tel number for St Munchin's. Forgot to put it in my earlier post.

Thanks i will try have a look this evening.. ya baldie sure ill let you know..

if your ever out the tipp town direction and the urge to shoot a few hoops gets to ya they have an awesome court out there (all weather, public, 4 baskets, new backboards and hoops).. i think as soon as we get a decent hot day ill head our there for a few hours.. but thats about as far as id go id say..

yes i think ul do hire out the courts but it could prove a bit expensive for just a shoot around..

Well if you get 10 people together for a scrummage game it would cost too much per person

Baldie wrote: »
    Well if you get 10 people together for a scrummage game it would cost too much per person

true but i was also looking for somewhere to just go and practise my shooting before next season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Complain and ask why to limerick co-ordination office and to local election candidates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

CBS primary have 2 courts but they're a bit in from the road. You could try asking the principal or St. Colm's basketball club.

CBS primary have 2 courts but they're a bit in from the road. You could try asking the principal or St. Colm's basketball club.

Thanks i might just do that seeing as though its my old school..

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

Roxborough NS in Ballysheedy have a good court! Used to spend my summer days out there when I didnt have to work!
    Also Donoughmore NS in Drombanna!

Roxborough NS in Ballysheedy have a good court! Used to spend my summer days out there when I didnt have to work!
    Also Donoughmore NS in Drombanna!

Thanks ciara.. only thing is i was at these courts before and the donoughmore one has only like 8ft rims.. and i think ballysheedy the same..

Thanks i might just do that seeing as though its my old school..

Me too.... What year did you finish up? We're you in CDS secondary as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Another cbs survivor here. Finished in 99 and played on the basketball team all the way through.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Another cbs survivor here. Finished in 99 and played on the basketball team all the way through.

Snap!! I played up until 2nd year...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

sorru i know this is an old post but im wondering if anyone managed to source somewhere for a shootaround? i love playing basketball but cant deny i am now a little out of practice as nowhere to play in limerick.

would love to find somewhere even just to shoot around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

None in UL badboy.. only decent ones so far in castletroy college but they are fenced off..

but when i do find one badboy can we drag ya away from the decks/out of retirement for a pick up game?!?

Do of course, if you got ten or so lads together we might be able to do an hour somewhere like Groove island for a game,! make sure and have an ambulance waiting!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do of course, if you got ten or so lads together we might be able to do an hour somewhere like Groove island for a game,! make sure and have an ambulance waiting!

Between the basketball and the tennis meet-ups, we'll have the fittest regional forum on Boards by the end of the year! :D

Advertisement