Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon Virgin

• 20-05-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Can't believe that I've actually gone and done it.... Yes I've registered for the Dublin City Marathon in October which means that there's only 158 training days left........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm currently on Week 3 of an 8-week programme (with aim of 10 miles at the end of it).... Not doing too badly I must say - managed 5 miles last night quite comfortably. I really enjoy running but I've had to totally change my running style.... Normally I like to run 5km in 25 mins (which is fast for me - I know plenty of you can do so much better!!) so what I've had to do is completely change my thinking towards my training. From all I've read online - it's gotta be about the pace!!! So instead of running an 8 minute mile, for my marathon training I'm running a very comfortable 10 minute mile to build my stamina. And instead of getting daunted by increasing my mileage, instead I just tell myself that today I've got a 40 minute (4 mile) or 50 minute (5 mile) training session. It seems to be working so far.:)

I'm not allowing myself to think too far ahead because to be honest... if I do - I feel physically sick at the thoughts of 26.2 miles :(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Hi Irisheyes - congrats on your decision to run the DCM and well done for starting a log! I was also (not so long ago even) a marathon virgin and what a feeling it was! Like you I also trained at a 10min/mile pace and so I know where you're coming from; I too did the calculations with regards minutes running but I found as the weeks of training went on I thought more about the miles covered than the time...(I suppose when it came to the LSRs I didn't want to think about being out plodding for almost 4 hours!):) and it's more of an achievement when you start running over 18 miles...

But all said I did actually enjoy my training - the feeling of achievement is brilliant, even after the training, so you can imagine that it's like on the day of the race itself...! But for the moment stick to your training plan - it's amazing how quickly time goes by when you're looking forward to a big race...non runners just never understand when you say something like 'I've only 5 months left...:eek:'...so, my humble advice (very humble, as I'm not a good runner like some of the people on here) is try to keep enjoying the running and if you find things getting tough, just try to imagine what crossing the finish line will be like on the day; also keep reading the logs here, they really all inspired me so much that at one stage during my 26.2 miles, when I was trying to think of something else other than actually running, I gave myself the mental task of trying to recite in my head the names of as many posters on the site as I could...(yes, strange, I know...but the mind has a strange way of working when you're running for over 4 hours!!)

Anyway, well done again on making the decision and enjoy the training and on the day, enjoy the race - you never get a second chance to run your very first marathon.....best of luck, I look forward to hearing about your progress... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

:

I'm currently on Week 3 of an 8-week programme (with aim of 10 miles at the end of it).... Not doing too badly I must say - managed 5 miles last night quite comfortably. I really enjoy running but I've had to totally change my running style.... Normally I like to run 5km in 25 mins (which is fast for me - I know plenty of you can do so much better!!) so what I've had to do is completely change my thinking towards my training. From all I've read online - it's gotta be about the pace!!! So instead of running an 8 minute mile, for my marathon training I'm running a very comfortable 10 minute mile to build my stamina. And instead of getting daunted by increasing my mileage, instead I just tell myself that today I've got a 40 minute (4 mile) or 50 minute (5 mile) training session. It seems to be working so far.:)

hi irisheyes thats a very sensible approach and it will deffinitely stand to you and make your training much easier to keep up without becoming disillusioned.
    all i can say is consistency is the key...if you put in the effort you will improve.
    best of luck with your training and log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irisheyes753

Thanks for the last two posts guys ..... Have to say actually seeing it in print in front of me is making it all very real - and your right I'm never going to run my first marathon again, so now I'm trying to savour every moment of it.

Today finishes week three of my programme - tomorrow is a rest day (thank God) and I've got the additional benefit of it being my son's First Holy Communion so we've lots of excitement to look forward to.

So what have I been up to since my last post???? Well Ive finally got my ass off the artifical-ness of the treadmill and back out onto the road.... And Ive realised what I've been missing.... Yesterday's programme had 2 miles/some core conditioning training on it and into the glorious sunshine I stepped out and after putting one foot in front of the other, the heavens opened and I got soaked :p:p:p hahahaha Murphy's law!!! But I loved it - the run was amazing and I know that I could have done so much more, but I want to rigidly stick to my programme - because even on days when I feel like doing more, I don't - because it would make it so much easier for me to stop on days that I'm not doing so good.

Today saw a 4 mile run - and I procrastinated about starting it from the minute I woke up this morning. I had a day off work and spent most of the morning sitting on my ass staring at my newborn neice who's only six days old. But managed to haul myself up off the sofa (with the help of the scent of a very dirty nappy :):)) and went down to the gym. Ive decided that I'm going to park in the gym and start all my runs from there - it means that I can just pop back inside for my weight training and blissfully powerful shower afterwards!

I thoroughly enjoyed my run - every single step of it. Ive noticed how much fitter I am lately - my breathing is constantly in sync and I don't struggle with breathlessness anymore (I'd say loosing 58lbs in the last 18 months has contributed to this!!). I really didn't want to stop today - I felt like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump - like I could run for years without stopping. Made sure to do some good stretches to loosen out the calves and hamstrings. Im finding that I've given up kickboxing to concentrate on running, that Ive lost a lot of flexibility already.

Miles today: 4
    Miles in total this week: (I'll check my diary and enter later)
    Miles in total since Week One: (ditto :o)

Just spent 20 mins updating my log and the damn thing hasn't saved!!!! Havent got the heart to do it again today!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Saturday 23rd May 2009
    Well today saw a welcomed rest day and the end of Week 3 of my programme. Had my son's first Holy Communion so it was a busy enough day!

Total Miles Today: 0
    Total Miles This Week: 14
    Total Miles on prog: 37 (59.2km)

Week 4 - Sunday 24th May 2009
    Had a nice early run this morning. Weather was glorious and running conditions were pleasant, with a nice cool breeze on my face. Absolutely breezed through these four miles today and felt like I didn't want to stop. Ran back up to the gym and did some core conditioning training. Finished off with a hot power shower and 20 minutes "chilling" in the sauna. I really find the sauna very relaxing for unwinding and meditating after a run. It absolutely emphasis' how good I'm feeling - so think I'll continue with them whenever I can.

Total Miles Today: 4
    Total Miles This Week: 4
    Total Miles on prog: 41 (65.6km)

Monday 25th May 2009
    Dropped the kids to school and did my 5 mile run today. First mile wasn't as nice as usual as the aul legs were a little stiff and felt heavy. Although after the first mile, they began to feel like they belonged to my body!! I chose a route today that I absolutely hated when i first started running last year. I was training for the Women's MM and this was the first time I had ever run 5 miles and I was in pain and struggled on this route. There is one particular stretch of the road which is a killer :mad::mad: it's probably only 1.3miles long but jeez, it feels like the longest road in the world. I decided to do this route so that I could get the better of the road - hahaha using reverse psychology on myself!!! Once I stepped the first foot onto this godforsaken road, I kept telling myself "I love this road, it is beautiful to run on - we are friends!!!". Mad - I know!! But it worked :):):) Before I knew it, all the waffling to myself paid off and I was at the end of the road. Anyway, ended the run with a nice shower and headed off to have an Indian Head Massage. I believe in treating yourself with the holistic approach (or otherwise I'm just a pampered princess!!!).

Total Miles Today: 5
    Total Miles This Week: 9
    Total Miles on prog: 46 (73.6km)

Tuesday 26th May 2009
    Heavenly - a rest day today!!!! Although I'm starting to feel lazy if I have a rest day :eek:. Although I know not to cheat the prog and I'm sticking rigidly to what I'm told to do each day. Have to say that I'm struggling with my eating-habits lately. I feel hungry all the time and I'm starting to eat crappy foods again. I know I should really be starting to eat more carbs, but having being strictly watching carbs for the past year - it feels wrong. I need to re-educate my brain around my eating patterns I think. I'm still doing pretty good with my protein intake - lots of egg white omlettes and chicken!!

I'm heading on hols on Friday morning and I'm planning on bringing my running gear with me. I honestly have the best of intentions to do my absolute utmost to stick to my training but with 17 miles to run on my first week of hols and 22 miles on the 2nd week - I'm not sure how realistic this will be??? As a single parent with 2 children abroad, I'm not sure I'll manage to find the time - but I will try and I've promised myself not to get disheartened if I don't :cool::cool: (<---- me with my shades on at the pool!!!)

Signing off to read my Irish Runner now and have a cuppa (must stay away from the biccies though!!!)

Total Miles This Week: 9
    Total Miles on prog: 46 (73.6km)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 27th May 2009
    I knew it had to happen eventually..... I hated my run today!!! Well, not exactly true, I hated the first 2 miles and the 5th mile of my run today!!! I had been at a training course this morning and then headed straight to a client and then collected the kids from school, so it meant that I didn't get out on the road til late afternoon. The weather was a bit colder and the sky was grey but the wind was my enemy #1 today! Started off very slow because my legs were heavy and then just as they loosened up and I started enjoying the run - I got a gale force wind in my mush for about 2 miles!!!! So I kept the head down and kept breathing through the nose and managed not to suffer from oxygen deprivation too much!! Mentally made myself change my thinking and my doing, which I knew would change my feelings and my physiology and instead of concentrating on running, I focused on the ipod and got into the "groove" listening to Britney's Blackout album.... Then I hit the home straight - the last mile and not only had I got gale force winds (ok, I might be exagerating slightly here!) in my face, but got lashed out of it by cross-winds too!! A double whammy!!! Anyway enough complaining from me - I finished the run and I was actually dreading looking at the time but I hadn't done too bad at all - 47:26 so I was pleasantly surprised with this and it made the effort seem worthwhile.

Headed home to a nice long soak in the bath and applied some Deep Heat to my achilles on my right leg and to my calf muscles...

2 more sleeps til my hols :cool::cool::cool:

Total Miles Today:
    Total Miles This Week: 14
    Total Miles on prog: 51 (81.6km)

Friday 28th May 2009
    Today is the end of week four of the programme. Only had a 2 mile run to do, but just ended up doing 2.5 instead. Didn't really feel up to it as it was only 12 hours since my last run but managed to trundle on through. Finished off training today with a swim and a sauna. Just looking at my total miles so far, which is 53.5 miles - jeez you don't see them adding up!!!

Heading on hols - hoping to get at least 2 miles done per day depending on the heat and whether I can park the kids off at kidsclubs!!!

Total Miles Today: 2.5
    Total Miles This Week: 16.5
    Total Miles on prog: 53.5 (84.6km)

Well here I am in sunny Salou for the past week. I brought my training gear with me, together with my program..... and they haven´t seen any sunlight at all, in fact it would appear to be very dark at the end of my suitcase where they currently reside :o:o

I´m feeling guilty about not training, but it´s so damn hot.... And by the time the evening comes, I´m shattered.... I´m being a really good mammy and bringing the kids on lots of day tours - so surely I can offset the guilt about the lack of time on the feet, with the pleasure that I´m giving the kids??????? :p:p:p:p:p well thats how I´m justifying it to myself anyway!!!

Another thing.... what the hell about the sun makes you want to smoke like a trouper???? I haven´t stopped smoking since I came over... Sure you need a smoke to accompany that nice cold pint of Bud..... Not that I¨m over indulging mind.... Just the occasional pint or four every night!!! And don´t start me on the Milka chocolate.....

Oh dear Lord, I´ve a lot of work to undo the bad habits I´ve managed to develop this last week.... and worse, I´ve still another decadent week to go :D:D:D Happy Days!!!

I´m struggling a bit now with being lazy.... I know I´m on hols but I feel like I´m piling on weight (about 5lbs so far!) and feeling kinda bloated and crap about myself. Lack all motivation at the moment to do anything
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

Kick up the arse time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I´m struggling a bit now with being lazy.... I know I´m on hols but I feel like I´m piling on weight (about 5lbs so far!) and feeling kinda bloated and crap about myself. Lack all motivation at the moment to do anything
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hi Irisheyes753 dont be to hard on yourself. We all lose motivation and over indulge from time to time. Im going to do the DCM myself for the first time this year and I still have so many bad habits. The thing to remember is how great you were getting on before your holiday. I bet you will be right back on track once you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Irisheyes, we all have offdays. If you are realistic about the DCM this year you'll have to fight any bad days motivation-wise. Many times its the getting the gear on and getting out thats the problem. Once you're into the run the motivation returns, so fight the feeling and good luck with the training.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Thanks guys!!! I know it´s just being on holidays that has me de-motivated at the moment. I´m home on Friday afternoon and first thing Sat morning I´ll be back out pounding the pavements.....

Just a little question though for any experienced runners out there: I had just finished week four of my program when I came away, so by this Sunday I should have been starting week 7. Now obviously it´s unrealistic for me to think I can just have skipped ahead by 2 wks and slot in there when I go home. But should I start at week 5 where I left off, or should I repeat week 4 to ease myself back into it????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i was out injured for 2 weeks,,so when i came back i finished my week but added an extra day,,and i added an extra day for the following weeks programme also,,that way it didnt kill me :pac:

Saturday 13th June 2009
    First day back from the hols. Arrived home last night. Really thought I could just slot back in easily to my programme :o:o how bloody wrong was I? Absolutely struggled to complete 2.5 miles - literally thought I was going to die. Couldn't get my breath in sync with my body, so I had absolutely no rhythm at all. felt really ****ty after this run - I hate it when I don't reach my target. Was probably still dehydrated from the hols - so need to take on much more fluids over the next couple of days.

Total Miles Today: 2.5
    Total Miles This Week: 2.5
    Total Miles on prog: 56 (88.6km)

Sunday 14th June 2009
    Did absolutely nothing today. Felt like my body and mind were in protest, after yesterday's disastrous attempt back. Stuffed my face with a very tasty fresh cod, chips and garlic sauce. Promise that the diet starts again tomorrow!!!

Monday 15th June 2009
    Aaahhhhhhhh....... back to normal. Did a 4.5 miler and absolutely loved everystep of it. Amazing to feel this good again! Went to the gym afterwards and did some conditioning work on my arms and my stomach, abs & obliques. Going to book an appointment with one of the trainers in the gym to get demonstration on how to do my "core conditioning" work properly.

Weighed myself after the hols and I've put on 10lbs!!!! Hahaha most of that probably came from the fish & chips last night! However, won't let it get me down. Back keeping a food diary, to ensure that I'm taking in some carbs with every meal and getting enough protein.

Total Miles Today: 4.5
    Total Miles This Week: 7
    Total Miles on prog: 58 (91.8km)

Tuesday 16th June 2009
    Was looking forward to training today. Decided to do a 5 miler while my son was in kicboxing. I couldn't wait to try out my new gadget "Addidas/Samsung MiCoach phone"...... It drove me bonkers!!! Hahahaha I had programmed it for an "endurance run" but obviouslsy that was a lower pace run than I usually do and my "coach" kept shouting at me to slow down that I was "above the zone".... I slowed down that I felt like I was running in reverse!! (handy practice for the Backwards Race in the kids' school sports day I suppose!! :o).

Anyway, apart from the heart rate monitor (which blisted me under my boobs!!) and my feckin socks that moved just enough to allow me to get blisters on my heel, I had a nice run :D:D:D.

Total Miles This Week: 13
    Total Miles on prog: 63 (99.8km)

Thursday 18th June 2009
    Rested off my legs yesterday. Just went to the gym and did some core-conditioning work. Made an appointment with a personal trainer down there for next Monday, just to make sure that I'm doing the exercises correctly.

Did 2 miles of speed work today. It's been so long since I've rain for speed, that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Managed to run the 2 miles in 15.34 which was a personal best for me. Mind you, I was totally out of breath afterwards!!!

Total Miles Today: 2
    Total Miles This Week: 15
    Total Miles on prog: 65 (101.8km) :P:P:P Happy Days!!! First 100km clocked up on the feet.

Advertisement