Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook Head PP for C&C

Options
  • 20-05-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi there, would love some C&C on these before and after shots of Hook Head. The two images are the same shot, the first straight from the Camera and the second one after Photoshop.
    Any suggestions on how to further improve the shot from a PP perspective would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

P.S... Does the light look realistic? Its my first time doing anything like that in Photoshop.

Straight from Camera:
    BD5780B33AD14CF8A008E37B86893250-800.jpg

After PS:
    30281A8EC7364ABE9CA6CAD607A56EFB-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I'm not mad on the tone mapping effect (slightly overdone?), but that's a personal preference. The verticals need correcting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

TJM wrote: »
    I'm not mad on the tone mapping effect (slightly overdone?), but that's a personal preference. The verticals need correcting though.

Thanks for the reply, now excuse my ignorance but I'm still pretty new to this, but what does "Tone Mapping" mean?
    Is it the overall colours in the image?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Forgive my remarks, as I'm brand new to PP, and having a bloody hard time :)

But, I like the light flare, but think the sky is too bright to have the light on, so it's a bit confusing! Also, I don't know what you did to the rocks in the foreground, but they look too bright to be from the same picture as the light house.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Thanks for the reply, now excuse my ignorance but I'm still pretty new to this, but what does "Tone Mapping" mean?
    Is it the overall colours in the image?

Thanks.
    I was being a bit lazy in talking about tone mapping - I should really have said that there's a slightly flat look you get when the tonal range ends up being compressed so that the highlights and shadows get squashed together into the midrange. This seems to have happened particularly noticeably in relation to the rock immediately below the lighthouse. It makes an otherwise good image look like a run of the mill HDR. A more subtle lightening of the rock and other items in the foreground would IMO work well.

mrmac wrote: »
    Forgive my remarks, as I'm brand new to PP, and having a bloody hard time :)

But, I like the light flare, but think the sky is too bright to have the light on, so it's a bit confusing! Also, I don't know what you did to the rocks in the foreground, but they look too bright to be from the same picture as the light house.

HTH.

Thanks man, I'm not sure about the lighthouse light either thats why I was looking for some C&C. I've never done anything like that in Photoshop before.

• Advertisement

TJM wrote: »
    I was being a bit lazy in talking about tone mapping - I should really have said that there's a slightly flat look you get when the tonal range ends up being compressed so that the highlights and shadows get squashed together into the midrange. This seems to have happened particularly noticeably in relation to the rock immediately below the lighthouse. It makes an otherwise good image look like a run of the mill HDR. A more subtle lightening of the rock and other items in the foreground would IMO work well.

Ah, I see, thanks. I read the article, it looks like its back to the drawing board with this one!! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I like the reflections in the water, they look good,

I'd like to see the colours in the sky abit more vivid though personally.ala

ED67EE45DED24E0CAB436F6EA960E4D3-800.jpg

Given how popular this spot is might be no harm getting a few people together to visit it some day :)

Thanks Cabaal, thats a great shot and taken from almost the very same spot as mine.

Advertisement