Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare in season

Options
  • 20-05-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi guys was out in the field with my mare last 2 days,bloody arena is flooded:mad:, but thing is she keeps peeing or spraying something from her you know whats haha.And all the boys are getting lets say excited by this and stamping a leg,is this my mare telling the boys im in season who wants some:o:o???????????? And how long does this last??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

A few days, it differs from one to the next - this is a good page with info... http://www.greyabbeyvets.ie/Breeding%20Foals2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The length of time a mare is in season depends on each individual mare. Some stay in season for a few days, for others it could be a few weeks. In extreme cases mares could show signs of being in season for all but a few days of her cycle.

While symptoms can be improved by feeding a correct balance of vitamins and minerals, in extreme cases some people choose to have a marble put in so as to get rid of the symptoms.

Depends on the mare, though, and what you're doing with her.

A friend of mine opted for the last option for his filly (who showed signs of being in season for 3 wks each cycle) because nothing else worked and it was impossible to do any work with her, and she was getting bad habits. She improved greatly after that.

If you've any questions/worries have a chat with your vet. They'll advise you on what's best for you and your mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Work away unless you want to cover her.
    Is she going doing anything serious anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Thanks for the input guys,i got her in march to do a bit of everything an bring on my riding,she was nice & calm first 6wks but of late she is becoming hard work,as its my first horse i know it will take lots of time & effort on my part to gain her trust & for her to want to be with me.But she is a very vocal mare & seems more interested in been out in the field with her new mates. Of course i was told she was great in everyway but im starting to find out this is not the case:( Once in the arena its all go she cant stand still for 2seconds its as if she thinks quicker i go quicker he's off my back & i can get back to the field.She is always lookin to the field or get to the gate. When i jump her its charge down the fence or just knock it down altogether. Now my instructor got so fed up with me because i was getting so pee d off i was starting to take it out on my mare,which is just not the answer i know this,she told me to take a break from lessons as she was at nothing in are lessons:o Now im pretty laid back as a person but once she starts to mess around an not listen my riding goes out the bloody window:mad::mad: sorry about the rant guys but any tips or advice please feel free. And be honest is it me at fault here??

ecaf wrote: »
    A few days, it differs from one to the next - this is a good page with info... http://www.greyabbeyvets.ie/Breeding%20Foals2.pdf
    Thanks for that i can see subtle changes alrite as in harder to catch and been harder to ride:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Maybe you are giving her too much feeding Lester. Just give her hay or silage for a few weeks and she might calm down a bit.
    Mares can be that way sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

lester76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys,i got her in march to do a bit of everything an bring on my riding,she was nice & calm first 6wks but of late she is becoming hard work,as its my first horse i know it will take lots of time & effort on my part to gain her trust & for her to want to be with me.But she is a very vocal mare & seems more interested in been out in the field with her new mates. Of course i was told she was great in everyway but im starting to find out this is not the case:( Once in the arena its all go she cant stand still for 2seconds its as if she thinks quicker i go quicker he's off my back & i can get back to the field.She is always lookin to the field or get to the gate. When i jump her its charge down the fence or just knock it down altogether. Now my instructor got so fed up with me because i was getting so pee d off i was starting to take it out on my mare,which is just not the answer i know this,she told me to take a break from lessons as she was at nothing in are lessons:o Now im pretty laid back as a person but once she starts to mess around an not listen my riding goes out the bloody window:mad::mad: sorry about the rant guys but any tips or advice please feel free. And be honest is it me at fault here??

Probably.

It sounds like your instructor was on to something. There is no room for a bad temper or frustration around horses. Absolutely none.

Now you have a new horse and its an all new experience for both you and your mare. Of course there are going to be teething problems. You need to take baby steps together rather than expecting too much too soon. Find a comfort zone where you can get the mare to work calmly with her attention on you (even if its just five minutes doing ground exercises or lunging) and then move on from there. Push the boundaries slowly every day until you get where you want to be. Your mare is obviously stressed out at being separated from her fieldmates and you need to find a way to get around that. You could even just get her used to coming in for a lovely feed and a groom once a day where she will associate being taken out with nice things rather than just with work.

You will need to work on this every day. You will need to have patience and you'll need to take baby steps.

Welcome to the world of horse ownership :D

Oh and btw, listen as much as you can to the experienced people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

oh and using slightly more scientific language about your mares oestrus would be a good thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I have a mare that is forever in season, It would usually last around two weeks for her, and then roughly 2 more weeks before she goes back into season.

But it does depend, another mare, that we are actually trying to get covered only goes into season for like 4 days every month, which means that it has been missed a lot.

don't worry about it though, some mares get narky, but generally if my mare is very narky I will just lunge instead of riding, your point gets accross better I personally think.

I have a mare that is forever in season, It would usually last around two weeks for her, and then roughly 2 more weeks before she goes back into season.

But it does depend, another mare, that we are actually trying to get covered only goes into season for like 4 days every month, which means that it has been missed a lot.

don't worry about it though, some mares get narky, but generally if my mare is very narky I will just lunge instead of riding, your point gets accross better I personally think.
    Thanks jenny ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Ugh, wimmins and the time of the month:pac:

Someone mentioned the marble, it's worth asking your veterinary surgeon but I've had mixed experience with it. The big benefit is that it's low maintenance. Regumate... is great (it's a progestagen drug) but my god is it labour intensive... so I guess it's a question of how much trouble this is causing for you and what's best for your mare. Ask a good equine vet for a consultation or a chat.

I had a great ex point to pointer who died a few months ago and she turned into Mariah Carey on Acid for five days a month, at which point she was duly shipped out to the crazy paddock for the duration. I wasn't giving her any veterinary products because it just wasn't suitable in her case, and like your own mare, her behaviour was totally unacceptable. I'm afraid mareish behaviour is just a fact of life sometimes and the battle with the ovaries is not easily won - but do keep trying and like I said talk to your vet about treatment if the symptoms persis and your mare is still misbehaving in this way.

Good luck with everything

Advertisement