Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue over my request to make these posts easier to read....

Options
  • 19-05-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

seannash wrote: »
    ball is rolling already.
    i dont think any new members wanting to learn about dancemusic would pick the current MP forum to ask questions simply because theres far better options out there.
    as for why not a jazz forum etc.theres not a big enough interest to merit it where as with dancemusic there is.you might not think of it to based on the amount of topics regarding it on here but over on the dancemusic forum many have express a need for it and said that they dont post on here(hence why people dont think its needed)
    i dont think itll effect new member coming here because there are better options for them(hopefully the subforum would be one of them) whereas for more band type recording id imagine this is a great resource.
    again id like to point out this isnt solely my idea:D

Your posts are VERY hard to read. Please use capitals, a little punctuation and space bar after full stops to stop our brains aching!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

frobisher wrote: »
    Your posts are VERY hard to read. Please use capitals, a little punctuation and space bar after full stops to stop our brains aching!
    hmm bar a few capitals i think there alright.its the internet not school.
    maybe im wrong but you dont normally use the space bar after full stops as long as it is in keeping with the point your making.
    if you go on to make a different point you then start a new paragraph.
    i cold br wrong on that but i honestly dont care:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

maybe im wrong but you dont normally use the space bar after full stops as long as it is in keeping with the point your making.

Haha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

You honestly don't care? Then why are you explaining yourself? Your posts are genuinely difficult to read. My own written English ain't exactly perfect but this whole forum is based upon reading and writing. Please respect that.

If you really don't care like you say, then don't post. If you have a problem with this then post about it in the feedback forum so this thread can stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You honestly don't care? Then why are you explaining yourself? Your posts are genuinely difficult to read. My own written English ain't exactly perfect but this whole forum is based upon reading and writing. Please respect that.

If you really don't care like you say, then don't post. If you have a problem with this then post about it in the feedback forum so this thread can stay on topic.

You mean after you dragged it from a decent discussion into a petty dig at how he post's? Great modding Btw. :rolleyes:

[/SIZE]Listen fella,you brought it up.i was showing you that apart from lack of capital letters there was nothing wrong with my dictation.
    my not caring was in relation to you,meaning i dont give a toss what you think of my grammar,spelling etc.
    but you got you dig in,and what a pathetic one is was.now your accusing me of not keeping the thread on topic.a thread that i started.your the one who derailed me.
    whatever your problem is with me i suggest you get over it coz as far as im aware ive never done anything to you or addressed you with any disrespect up until this thread

• Advertisement

I've moved the above posts from this thread in Music Production: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567512

I wasn't taking a dig at you, I was asking you to make your posts easier to read.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OK.
    Not sure why this is here, but I'll make the following observation:

Your comments are difficult to read.
    You come across as a teenager because you do not appear to know how to use a capital letter at the start of a sentence. The fact that two spaces are left between each sentence would also seem to have passed you by.

The only thing we use to gauge a person is the text they have put in front of us.
    We will judge on that written word. This is human nature.

If you wish to be taken seriously, a bit of effort needs to be made.
    I'm not saying that to take a dig, it's a friendly bit of advice which you may take or leave.

Also, I would like to add that text speak makes most of us shudder and recoil in horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

My English teacher always said 1 space after a comma and 2 after a full stop.

He also said that a new paragraph should have a blank line between it and the one above.

Reading blocks of text on a screen is hard enough on the eyes, we should all try our best to make it easier for one another, but it isn't the sort of though people should get snippy about.

Seannash, I genuinely don't think Frobisher was having a dig, but making a comment as a mod that your posts aren't the easiest to read for all concerned.

The OP has said that they can't post here. Is that the norm? I'd like them to have their say.

The OP has said that they can't post here. Is that the norm? I'd like them to have their say.

The only people who can post in this forum are the following:
    Admins.
    The OP.
    I will grant him access.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    The only people who can post in this forum are the following:
    Admins.
    The OP.
    I will grant him access.

Thanks!

This a tiny molehill turning into an annoying mountain. I'd rather keep posts here so that we don't take a busy thread further off topic nd turn an already heated debate into a music production v dance music production issue.

In response too:
    wheres my apology for claiming i derailed this thread

You're demanding an apology off me for claiming that I accused you of derailing the thread? Please show me where I did that. What I said was that I wanted it to stay on topic which was related to my posts, your posts & Dave141. Not you in particular.
    absolutely pathetic.
    if you have an issue with me isnt it the mod stance to contact me through pm.
    now youve moved it to a thread where i cant post a reply.
    do you know the snobbish attitude that people are expressing about this forum in the subforum request thread.this is an example of it.
    your having a go at someone for less than perfect dictation.
    i dont use text speak,or much slang so whats the problem.
    then you accuse me of derailing the thread(id actually like an apology for that from you)when it was you that started it.
    and as im sure youll move this id like to say that beruthial comes across as an arrogant know it all.
    hes calling me a teenager,claiming i use text speak and lecturing like hes my father.
    you lads need to get over yourselves seriously

I have no snobbish attitude so it can't be an example of it. Didn't you read my last response that thread before all this happened? I'm favour of it as a sub-forum. I'm also very inclusive as a mod and have always encouraged the forum to not just be about the old pros in the game.

I've been cool with you and you've not been cool back. I'd appreciate if you start.

I will leave Beruthial to answer for herself.

there
    so if you quote me and ask me something i cant respond.if i do respond im accused of derailing.
    you created this molehill.ive been posting on here a long time and you have a problem with my writing now.
    as for the attitude. you guys are so uptight about stuff like this this is why your percieved as snobbish.

im sure youll move this id like to say that beruthial comes across as an arrogant know it all.

Well you have me pegged there.
    hes calling me a teenager,claiming i use text speak and lecturing like hes my father.

I've been called many things, but never a father. :D

As I said already, it wasn't a lecture, it was an observation which you could take or leave.

Also, I don't consider it snobby to ask someone to make it easier for the rest of us to read their text.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Well you have me pegged there.

I've been called many things, but never a father. :D

As I said already, it wasn't a lecture, it was an observation which you could take or leave.

Also, I don't consider it snobby to ask someone to make it easier for the rest of us to read their text.
    ah so let me get this straight.you can make assumptions based on my postings
    so im allowed make them about you based on yours.
    got it.
    and yes it is snobby to interject in a thread with a snide little dig about my posts.who cares if its not perfect.were not in school

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've only this thread to go on so my comments are based purely on that.

You're not in school. And obviously you're not striving for perfection. No-one's expecting you to.

However, the original comment appears to have arisen because your posts are difficult to read. And, without getting personal, they are. This may not be a problem for you.

But the only reason I'm commenting at all is because I'm assuming when you post on the Internet you'd like people to read what you've got to say and pay attention to what you've got to say. And your posts are difficult to read. What happens in that case is that people are more likely (far more likely) to just skip over them and pay little attention to you and no attention to what you've got to say.

When it comes down to it, it's entirely up to you. Its not like you're using textspeak, so your posts are at least possible to read. You can ignore me, or call me an arrogant know-it-all twit if you feel like it. But with a small bit of effort on your part, your posts will stand out a lot more, be far more readable and more people will read them. No-one else will gain much from you doing it but you'd gain a lot. I don't care whether you use paragraphs or capital letters at all (I just won't read them). But while it might be snobby, other people do and at the moment most of them are probably just skipping over your posts without reading them. I'm assuming you'd prefer them to read your posts.

What I've said isn't supposed to make you feel bad or be defensive, I'm actually saying it so you have a louder voice in what you're saying. So feel free to ignore it but you gain a lot if you don't ignore it.

sceptre wrote: »
    I've only this thread to go on so my comments are based purely on that.

You're not in school. And obviously you're not striving for perfection. No-one's expecting you to.

However, the original comment appears to have arisen because your posts are difficult to read. And, without getting personal, they are. This may not be a problem for you.

But the only reason I'm commenting at all is because I'm assuming when you post on the Internet you'd like people to read what you've got to say and pay attention to what you've got to say. And your posts are difficult to read. What happens in that case is that people are more likely (far more likely) to just skip over them and pay little attention to you and no attention to what you've got to say.

When it comes down to it, it's entirely up to you. Its not like you're using textspeak, so your posts are at least possible to read. You can ignore me, or call me an arrogant know-it-all twit if you feel like it. But with a small bit of effort on your part, your posts will stand out a lot more, be far more readable and more people will read them. No-one else will gain much from you doing it but you'd gain a lot. I don't care whether you use paragraphs or capital letters at all (I just won't read them). But while it might be snobby, other people do and at the moment most of them are probably just skipping over your posts without reading them. I'm assuming you'd prefer them to read your posts.

What I've said isn't supposed to make you feel bad or be defensive, I'm actually saying it so you have a louder voice in what you're saying. So feel free to ignore it but you gain a lot if you don't ignore it.
    fair enough but i have to disagree with you on the people arent reading my posts.
    recently i started a thread in mp(where this got moved from).it was 6 pages.i answered alot of peoples questions and conversed back and forth with alot of people on it.noone else had any problem with my posts,they all responded to my questions and answers directed to them.
    same can be said for my nearly 1300 posts all done in the same style.this is the first time its been brought up.i dont feel like people are skimming over my posts or ignoring them so ill continue to post in the same way.

and honestly does my posts need a new thread in this forum,talk about overreacting.

Advertisement