Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen the Fianna Fail logo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Having to look at those pr1cks' ugly mugs on the road is an impertinence. How fukcing dare they!

The insidious subconscious psychological effect of it is more evil though. All advertising affects us, whether we like it or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Having to look at those pr1cks' ugly mugs on the road is an impertinence. How fukcing dare they!

The insidious subconscious psychological effect of it is more evil though. All advertising affects us, whether we like it or not.

What exactly are these "pr1cks" doing wrong? They are election candidates, so they have the right to put up their election posters. It doesn't mean you have to vote for them!:confused:

Has anyone seen the size of the Fianna Fail logo on their posters???? Size really does matter. Check out the pictures below

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/may/17/no-hiding-behind-logo-for-todays-ff-hopefuls/

I think it doesn't really matter tbh...the media have picked up on the small logo as have the people and we are all aware of what party each candidate is aligned to (the majority of us anyway!)

brolly wrote: »
    What exactly are these "pr1cks" doing wrong? They are election candidates, so they have the right to put up their election posters. It doesn't mean you have to vote for them!:confused:

It shouldn't mean we have to look at them. They're pretty hard to ignore, impossible really. It's a disgrace that they visually pollute our highways. If it was so acceptable, why not have posters up all the time? They only get away with it because they make the rules. It's idiotic to think it's ok.

You're probably a canvasser or similar yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It shouldn't mean we have to look at them. They're pretty hard to ignore, impossible really. It's a disgrace that they visually pollute our highways. If it was so acceptable, why not have posters up all the time? They only get away with it because they make the rules. It's idiotic to think it's ok.

And as everybody knows, canvassers aren't entitled to opinions.

• Advertisement

You should never make assumptions. As you can see from my sig, I support a candidate for the EU Elections, but it doesn't mean I am out canvassing. As for them putting up posters being a disgrace, how would you propose we run elections? Put up no posters and let people guess who is running in the elections? The posters are up for a few weeks...its hardly the end of the world!

:D Down with that sort of thing!:pac:

Because canvassers are totally unbiased and objective. Almost as objective as economists, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Because canvassers are totally unbiased and objective.
    Of course they're biased, but it remains their opinion which is as valid as the next person's. It's a matter of taste, not of scientific inquiry.

It's absolute nonsense to disparage someone's opinions on the efficacy of election posters simply because they strongly favour one candidate. It's almost as childish as dismissing their opinion on account of their profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

To be fair, if you can take a Fianna Failure one home with you, they make great dartboards/knife throwing practice boards! :D

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    To be fair, if you can take a Fine Gaeler one home with you, they make great dartboards/knife throwing practice boards! :D

Oh Christ...SR! on politics! (Back to pro wrestling with you!;)):pac:

By the way, fixed your post for you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

What exactly are these "pr1cks" doing wrong?

Or more to the point what exactly are these "pr1cks" doing right?

Or more to the point what exactly are these "pr1cks" doing right?

I was referring to the election campaign!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I was referring to the election campaign!:rolleyes:

Surley my question is relevant to the election campaign all the same though?:)

Of course they're biased, but it remains their opinion which is as valid as the next person's. It's a matter of taste, not of scientific inquiry.

It's absolute nonsense to disparage someone's opinions on the efficacy of election posters simply because they strongly favour one candidate. It's almost as childish as dismissing their opinion on account of their profession.

Layperson: "Mr Economist, what's going to happen in the next few years?"

Mr Economist: "Um, we don't know. But here's lots of graphs going in all directions to cover all possibilities. Then no matter what happens, we can say we predicted it."

Surley my question is relevant to the election campaign all the same though?:)

Not really...I said whats wrong with them putting up election posters (it is an election after all)...how are your comments relevant to that?!:rolleyes:

Layperson: "Mr Economist, what's going to happen in the next few years?"

Mr Economist: "Um, we don't know. But here's lots of graphs going in all directions to cover all possibilities. Then no matter what happens, we can say we predicted it."

:confused:

You have nothing constructive to say on the actual topic, so you just have a go at others...genius!:rolleyes: The Economist was spot on with his comments ...we all have our own opinions...just because someone doesn't have the same opinion as you, doesn't mean his/her opinion counts any less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Has anyone seen the size of the Fianna Fail logo on their posters???? Size really does matter. Check out the pictures below

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/may/17/no-hiding-behind-logo-for-todays-ff-hopefuls/

It's interesting and entirely understandable. The article says it all, and it's true; the logos on Fianna Fail candidate posters in this campaign are, by and large, so small as to be barely noticeable. That incurs a cost of itself, because usually they re-use old campaign posters. This time, it's more cost effective to not be seen aligning oneself too strongly with Fianna Fail.

I've heard (and it's entirely anecdotal) that many Fianna Fail candidates are distancing themselves from the party while on the doorsteps, or making a plea to not hold feelings about the government against them as candidates. Effectively, the same as reducing the logo size on the poster, but in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I got a foldover flyer in the post this morning.

Outside = white with a green and yellow swoop and a star : absolutely no logo on the outside!

I had an inkling who it might be from.....election-literature-style address, no logo ? Who else could it be, really ?

But wasn't 100% certain so I did open it - before spotting the logo and the mug-shot of Crowley on the inside and landing it in the recycling bin, unread.

So I guess this approach works, up to a point. It got me to open it before binning it.

But it p'd me off too, because I wasted at least 10 seconds of my life opening something I didn't want because of their sneaky tactics.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Off-topic for this forum, and it's been done on the main Politics forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement