Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a good book?

Options
  • 20-05-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good book for my daily commute? Something not too heavy, maybe fiction - thriller/crime, or even non-fiction like a good true story, even historical or biographical? Not really into fantasy,horror or sci fi. Books I'd recommend by the way - 'Sail' and 'Judge and Jury' by James Patterson (fiction, thriller), 'Miracle in the Andes' (brilliant true story, Nando Parrado) 'The Damage Done - Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison' (true story, Warren Fellows).

Might even be a good idea to start a book recommendation or book review thread?

**sorry I accidentally posted this in 'reading logs' please feel free to move it to the general 'literature' forum**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 toffeesfan

catch 22 by joseph keller, read the synopsis on wikipedia,this book will cheer you up on your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Porkpie wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good book for my daily commute? Something not too heavy, maybe fiction - thriller/crime, or even non-fiction like a good true story, even historical or biographical?*

TRY
    Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem
    (if you can get a copy of this its well worth a read)

Both of these books are top notch Historical novels,easy to read,informative with great stories and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Thanks guys. I've read some awful books lately, good to get some recommendations. Will put these on my 'to read' list! Just saw a book on Amazon (fiction, thriller) that's getting brilliant reviews - 'One Second After' by William R. Forstchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

The Poet by Michael Connelly
    a brilliant book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Roberto Saviano's Gommorrah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

you should read
    the five people you meet in heaven - you won't get off the bus once you start it.
    also the kite runner - faNTASTIC.

also "boys in the river" - funny and short.

lastly - time traveller's wife - not a girly book - do your self a favour and get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

"time travellers wife" is most unusual - the writer is only beginning to write her second book now after 5 years gap."boys in the river" was god. funny too.i can also recommend joseph o'connor's "the salesman" and also "just one more day" by mitch albom.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

hey nostradamus by douglas coupland was the last book i read that i really enjoyed. it's a real page turner. there's almost elements of crime novel and mystery to it.
    it's about the aftermath of a high school shooting told from 4 different view points

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

How about a work of faction? I just finished reading The Damned United by David Peace. It's a work of fiction based on Brian Clough's 44 days at Leeds United in 1974. I'm not even a football fan but it's truly excellent and a fairly easy read with a unique style.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

also the kite runner - faNTASTIC.

Reading it at the moment. Very good so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

if you like the survival against the odds type books I'd recomment In Harms Way by Doug Stanton. It's about the sinking of the USS Indiannopolis in WW2, which Quint refers to in his speech in Jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Try Papillon by Henri Charriere. Good true story.

Film is nowhere near as good but isn't that always the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's about the Colombian drug baron Pablo Escobar among other things. Don't be put off by Marquez's reputation. Not only a great (if bleak) story but also elegantly and simply written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

a thousand splendid suns , same author of the kite runner , another fantastic novel , unputdownable .

Advertisement