Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing in the rain

Options
  • 20-05-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

fly fishing in the rain, like todays weather. very showery. what do you lads think is it worth it or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Well I had six trout on the fly in 2 hours today most of them during rain.
    On one occasion I had a second fish take the dropper while playing a first fish on the tail fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Never found raina problem even a help on a river can get closer to the bank perhaps.
    Thunder is another thing always find thunder makes fishing useless and pack up after the first clap that and getting soaked no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I have never felt rain was a problem, It usually helped. Most other anglers stay at home. I find that the fish can be more agrresive in there takes just after a rain fall. I have to agree "thunder" pack up an go for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Fly fishing in the rain can be productive because a lot of flies get knocked to onto the water by the rain and there is more natural disturbance on the surface of the water as well so the fish may tend to be less cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Took the words out of my mouth Tiny:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Never found raina problem even a help on a river can get closer to the bank perhaps.
    Thunder is another thing always find thunder makes fishing useless and pack up after the first clap that and getting soaked no good.

I've been out on Mask on a humid day, catching feck all, great hatch but no rise, when a thunderstorm came over. Within minutes there were trout rising to fly all over the place, I'd say they would have been much easier to tempt to a fly but we were too scared to put up te lightning conductors (rods!) for a cast! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Actually i caught my biggest river trout in middle of a thunderstorm started lashing rain i was reeling in fast and foul hooked a 4 pound 1 ounce river suck trout in the fin under its belly made getting soaked to the skin worth it

Advertisement