Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruit a Friend - 100 mounts achievment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Pffft get in line pal :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

how much are you missing so far?

argent tournament mounts/sarth/blue proto drake/blue drake/raptor/midnight? / baron ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Best of luck man thats a great achievement to have, I'd say that was a bit of effort.

Just remember you have to wait about 5 months for zebra mount, as a RAF gets 3 months free off the games themselves, so its like, when their 2 month sub kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

awesome going getting 95 !

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Ah nuts,
    I tought that if the RAF person got their account that they could upgrade right away.
    Was hopeing to get the Zebra soon... Pity about the two months wait.

At the moment I have 95 mounts, this includes all 5, (400gold + 5 Argent Tokens), and 1, (100 Argent Tokens), mounts.
    This leaves me with 4 more, (100 Argent Token mounts), and 1 (150 Argent Token mount flyier).
    In total it'll take me another 102 days to get the rest of the tokens needed.
    I was thinking of buying the SoH 8k mount to knock off the 150 mount, (30 days).
    So if I don't get any of the other lucky drops I'm really looking at 72 more days.

Anyway, thanks Doc for clarifying that for me...
    Back to grinding the 1% drop rate mounts.

PS:
    Over 410 runs so far on the Baron and no drop....
    "Urge to kill...... Rising !!!"

• Advertisement

PS:
    Over 410 runs so far on the Baron and no drop....
    "Urge to kill...... Rising !!!"

I feel your pain, i have been rallying strat on my DK since he dinged 80. No where near as much as you but yeah annoying when someone in guilds links the drop and says something like "wow on my 5th run and all" makes my blood boil >=(

However reviewing your required mounts i think your best fastest option would be to grind engineering for the engineering mounts. I'm guessing you have alot of recipes though for your current professions and dont want to drop them :(

I myself wouldnt stress myself about it, the reward isnt worth it. Busting your balls to get 100 mounts just so you can sit on top of an old TBC mob graphic? For a feat like that they should actually reward you.. Give ya a frostwyrm or atleast put some armor on the dragonhawk to make it look different/cool :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

nix wrote: »
    I myself wouldnt stress myself about it, the reward isnt worth it. Busting your balls to get 100 mounts just so you can sit on top of an old TBC mob graphic? For a feat like that they should actually reward you.. Give ya a frostwyrm or atleast put some armor on the dragonhawk to make it look different/cool :D
    Thats exactly what i thought when i googled the achievement reward. It looks ****, and there are far better looking mounts out there (which you probably already have). But then i dont understand spending time collecting mounts in the first place, so what do i know.

I was once a Tailor and have the normal magic carpet, but I dropped Tailoring due to me been a hardcore raider.
    JC + Enchanting for raiding and I have a lot of the new rare recipes from raids.

Picking up tailoring and Engineering is an option but not worth it as I'd have to change profs back again to continue raiding.
    The expencive mounts, 8K - 12K - 16K are still there but I'll only buy them if they are to finish of my collection.

As for my reasons for collecting the mounts, I want to have something that no one else has.
    My server first mage achievment was nice but I want more rare things..
    Damn addictions.... :p

Picking up tailoring and Engineering is an option but not worth it as I'd have to change profs back again to continue raiding.
    The expencive mounts, 8K - 12K - 16K are still there but I'll only buy them if they are to finish of my collection.

Do you seriously think being without the very very small buffs the professions have to offer will drastically reduce your dps?

Id laugh at a GM if they made me grind a profession to raid, mainly because id still piss all over the dps ;P

with jc you get what ? an extra +39 spellpower? WoW Amazering ;)
    and enchanting you get +38 ?

77 spell power or super rare mount ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You forgot the fact that JC also has the JC only gems and there is still room for enchanting to be improved a fair bit. I'd keep JC and Enchant, they're pretty useful and always in demand.

I'd say just keep farming the 1% mounts, no matter how hard it is:(

• Advertisement

Ah no spectral mounts? You could always buy 1 of them... but i doubt they are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well kiith, I believe this mount is faster than all the others. 320% I think? That's well worth it :)

RMD wrote: »
    You forgot the fact that JC also has the JC only gems

No i didnt, thats what the post above you is about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Do you seriously think being without the very very small buffs the professions have to offer will drastically reduce your dps?
    Yes?

Id laugh at a GM if they made me grind a profession to raid, mainly because id still piss all over the dps ;P
    Then you have a bad guild. In TBC, if you didnt have leatherworking, you did less dps than a person of the same class of equal skill. End of story. Its slightly better in wotlk but if you arent Tailor+JC/Ench or BS/JC then you are doing less dps than you should be.

If an item dropped that had an extra 39 spell power on it, people would **** their pants. Why bother eating food that gives 40 spell power? Why bother flasking? its only 100 spell power.... you see where im going with this.

Thats not even getting into the Benefits of complimentary professions like bs/jc

To OP , as a mage you wont be losing anything by dropping one of the professions and taking Tailoring, that cloak enchant is the best in game by a long shot now.

The professions are a thing which I wont change since it took time, gold, and a lot of efford to get the patterns which I have.
    I also have some of the ones from Ulduar, I'm 1 in about 2-3 people on the server with some of the enchants.
    I dropped Tailoring back in Jan for JC, which I felt was a very good choice, due to the prismatic gems nullifying the meta gem requirements.
    Soon after the clock enchant was upgraded for Tailors.

Since making this post and the one on my guilds forums, I've gotten great responces, I now have a full team running instances for me to get the mounts.
    Settik Halls + ZG.... etc
    So if I'm lucky I'll be able to get one of them.

NB:
    The guild dosn't force me to spec a specific profession, it's my choice

Dustaz wrote: »

Then you have a bad guild. In TBC, if you didnt have leatherworking, you did less dps than a person of the same class of equal skill. End of story. Its slightly better in wotlk but if you arent Tailor+JC/Ench or BS/JC then you are doing less dps than you should be.

Sorry Dustaz but you couldnt be more wrong, it boosts your stats yes, doesnt make you dps better. Thats my ****in point, and i dont raid anymore hardcore but my old guild are #1 on server ;) If you **** up your rotation even once, then your gonna do less dps. A gem or chant aint gonna stop that ;)

My point is that the stats dont make a BIG difference, not enough to be forced to do it tbh.

GM: WHERE YER ****IN +10 ON CHEST!?!?!
    me: Dont know cant see it up here on top of dmg meter :P

New to wow then??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Sorry Dustaz but you couldnt be more wrong, it boosts your stats yes, doesnt make you dps better. Thats my ****in point, and i dont raid anymore hardcore but my old guild are #1 on server ;) If you **** up your rotation even once, then your gonna do less dps. A gem or chant aint gonna stop that ;)

My point is that the stats dont make a BIG difference, not enough to be forced to do it tbh.

me: Dont know cant see it up here on top of dmg meter :P

You would never find your self in most of the best guilds with that attitude. No enchants or sockets = epic failure. Regardless of how your dps is, or what you claim it is. Actually, you wouldn't find yourself in most half decent guilds.

The stats make a huge differance. If you take a raid with no enchants or gems then that raid has already failed. The amount of DPS healing and tanking abilities lost without enchants or gems is unreal.

Anyone with half a brain would know to take a complimentary profession. It helps a huge amount.

I want your broadband supplier....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I dropped Tailoring back in Jan for JC, which I felt was a very good choice, due to the prismatic gems nullifying the meta gem requirements.
    Soon after the clock enchant was upgraded for Tailors.

If im being totally honest, I agree with you about tailoring. I was on the verge of dropping it pre-3.1 and it was really only lazyness that kept me from going JC. Even now with the cloak enchant and the decent belt/boots patterns, I still wonder if i shouldnt go JC. Ill wait and see what the epic gems are like.
    Sorry Dustaz but you couldnt be more wrong, it boosts your stats yes, doesnt make you dps better.

0o

Re-read that. Re-read it again. Repeat "I am an Idiot" 10 times and go and stand in the back of the class.

I posted
    Then you have a bad guild. In TBC, if you didnt have leatherworking, you did less dps than a person of the same class of equal skill. End of story.

This isnt a l2p discussion. This is a discussion about stats and their effect on dps in an optimum playstyle. You take for granted that you are using optimum rotations, using the best pve talent build and are playing your class as well as the fight allows.

Raiding isnt rocket science. Its not hard to see what talent specs are best, what sort of gear you should be wearing and what spell/ability rotation you should be using. After that it comes down to learning the fights and stats.
    Stats = Dps.
    Thats my ****in point, and i dont raid anymore hardcore but my old guild are #1 on server If you **** up your rotation even once, then your gonna do less dps. A gem or chant aint gonna stop that
    Maybe they are now #1 on the server because they got rid of the scrubs with no enchants like you? You say you were top of the meter without the best gems and enchants available to you? Either you were the only member of one class on a gimmick fight or your guild was really really bad back then.

Of course your going to do less dps if you stuff up your rotation. I do it, everyone does it. The difference is, as long as I keep my rotation up and you keep your rotation up (lets pretend were both mages in the same guild), I will kick your ass in damage because i have the best gems/enchants i can get and you have green gems and tbc enchants. Its a simple equation. There is no denying it. When we started nax, you could SEE from the damage meters who had got gear last week. You could SEE the effect of more stats on a player.

me: Dont know cant see it up here on top of dmg meter

Last week, our gm did exactly that to 2 players. He sent them back to dalaran at the start of the raid because they had items with bad enchants and gems. One of them was actually a really good healer. Guess what? He was a BETTER healer when he got the updated enchant.

New to wow then??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You would never find your self in most of the best guilds with that attitude. No enchants or sockets = epic failure. Regardless of how your dps is, or what you claim it is. Actually, you wouldn't find yourself in most half decent guilds.

The stats make a huge differance. If you take a raid with no enchants or gems then that raid has already failed. The amount of DPS healing and tanking abilities lost without enchants or gems is unreal.

Anyone with half a brain would know to take a complimentary profession. It helps a huge amount.

Is anybody reading my posts? im not saying all enchants/sockets are crap, I'm stating the difference between say 3 +36spellpower JC gems and 3 +19spellpower standard gems isn't something to be anal about and i think it would be foolish to bench someone because he didnt wanna grind professions :P

EDIT: Yes pretty sure you havent been reading what ive been saying, i get the best enchants/gems i can get for my gear. But i wouldn't grind a profession itself just to get the bop bonuses unless i really wanted too.

Please refer to my first remark on it:

Sorry Dustaz but you couldnt be more wrong, it boosts your stats yes, doesnt make you dps better.

Yeah i made a balls of forming that sentence, silly me. in my defense im quite hungover and juggling work :P

• Advertisement

QFT!
    +1
    etc etc.

From mounts to stats..... nice leap...

The JC Gem you on about is +32 spell power and these gems are used in a blue sockets first, after which yellow is the next slot.
    The best Gem for a blue socket atm is +9SP + 8Spirit, Molten Armour 55% of spirit = crit points, and 46ish crit points = 1% crit
    The best Gem for a yellow socket atm is +9SP + 8Haste/8Crit, debatable.

3*32 = 96SP
    3*(9 - 8) = (27SP + 24spirit/haste/crit)
    Difference = 69SP - 0.25% spirit to crit / 0.66% haste / 0.45% crit

My Mage POV
    To anyone who raids these are big numbers and dropping them is not really a choice.

Note:
    I was hesitent on changing from Tailoring to JC, but when I had leveled JC up I felt it was much more then worth it.
    In total it cost me about 5k gold to level it up using the AH, I made most of my gold back as I sold my crafted items, at the end the total it cost me was about 1300 gold to level up to 400

Back on topic.

At the Time I dropped Tailoring I didn't think about going for the 100 mount achievment.
    However since I am now after it, I don't think I'll spec into a profession just for the mounts.

To get the last 5 mounts I need all I have to do is farm the Argent Tornement, this will take another 100 days of dailies to get the tokens I need.
    Any other mounts I get between now and then will knock a good few days of the grind.
    The 1st mount I get will knock 30 days of the total and each subsaquent mount will knock 20 days off.

Just wondering is anyone else interested in this achivement and how far along are you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The difference though between +8 stats to chest and +10 stats to chest, considering the costs of the mats involved (if your guild bank for example doesn't give out mats for free or a significant reduced cost compared to AH) - just not worth it unless you've nothing better to do with your gold.

Having NO gems or enchants is a different matter but I didn't think that was the point being made.

I payed 500g for mats to enchant my Mages staff with 81 SP, I already had 63 Sp enchant on the same staff, to me it was worth it but in the grander scheme of things when raiding - it makes very little difference unless I'm spot on 100% all the time with my rotations on fights. Which rarely anyone ever is.

J/C and Tailoring probably the best professions you can take to boost your stats as a caster but, it's not the be all and end all and the difference to most players between the best they can get with having those professions (Gems in particular) and without is mostly pointless to argue about unless you have the skill and ability to benefit the most from the improved stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

...and sorry for going off topic also. I commend you on your route to completing that achievment, great stuff :)

I am planning on getting the 50 mounts first, I will start that when I have about 20K gold, not to far away. I think you will have to be extremely lucky to get the 100 mounts. Most are possible to get by grinding over and over again, rep and gold. The difficult ones are the .01% or .1% drops. I have one mount that drops, the white bear. I have yet to get the turtle and any other instance mount (apart from the Culling of Stratholme one). Not an easy feat.

Also, for those that ask "why bother". Well why not?

Theres the original topic in here somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

Ah nuts,
    I tought that if the RAF person got their account that they could upgrade right away.
    Was hopeing to get the Zebra soon... Pity about the two months wait.

Wrong, i have done RAF. what you need to do is recruit the friend, they then buy the game with a free month on it..

I they use a credit card that is reoccuring payment, then it will take 3 months for you to get the mount, as with re-occuring payments it takes the money at the month, and updates your game time. Howver if you get the 60day prepaid cards and put it on the account straight after registering it, you can have the mount straight away.

so 60 day prepaid game card = mount

I'm currently going for the 100 mount achievement, have 77 mounts at the moment, farming both kureni and nether ray fractions at the moment, have the 400g argent mounts ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Grats man, keep letting us know how it goes :)

Advertisement