Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doorframes

Options
  • 20-05-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi....my door frames are in but doors are not yet...my brother reckons we can hang the doors but some of the frames aren't quite square...how easy is it to fix and how do you do it..also is it easy to turn a frame around so the door opens the other way...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I think that if uve never done it before and dont have the tools you should probably get a carpenter in to do them. Doors can be a git if u dont know what your doing, you can spend ages on them trying to get them to swing and shut right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

dmpc wrote: »
    Hi....my door frames are in but doors are not yet...my brother reckons we can hang the doors but some of the frames aren't quite square...how easy is it to fix and how do you do it..also is it easy to turn a frame around so the door opens the other way...thanks

like everything

tis east if ya know how.

frames can be tricky and really need to be set in perfectly . Unless ye want to powerplane the hell out of your new doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

if you havent done this before its time to get the golden pages. no offence but this is tricky. its too hard to explain really because every dorr and frame is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Carpenter09

hi i'm a carpenter and can help you with your door frames and with hanging your doors if you want.if you want to give me a call my no. is 087 6399205.thanks stephen

in today climate. You should get it done very cheaply. labour for new frame and locked door I would price at 60euro if there was more than two frames to set.

use that as a cheap guide line when getting it done.

the day of 100 a door set has passed (for now anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dmpc

Thanks for replies...It's just that most of the tradesmen I got to work on the house were crap...and they all came recommended..I've had to knock block work and rebuild..have had to replace windows..have had to correct some of the slabbing and finish work the dry liners were supposed to do...had to level floors after the screeder and he came the most recommended...I just don't trust anyone any more..I haven't done doors before but I am handy so any tips would be appreciated...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Sometimes I find it very handy if you have a neighbours house who has had work done recently to use as an example. Had the doors/skirting/frames/floors etc changed down stairs last year and very happy with the finish. The same lad gave me a quote for up upstairs but think he might be a bit heavy as everyone’s situation has changed. While the cheapest quote will not always be the best especially with a finish for wood. Anyone else I bring in to quote I will just ask them up front this is the type of finish I am looking for can you do it and save both of us the time and hassle.
    Cannot say 100% but I am sure the chippys on here might confirm you are really looking for a finishing carpenter who hangs doors/lays floors all day. The lad I had in was using a router to etch out the hinge beds and have to say it really is a neat finish compared to chiseling out
    At the end of the day I suppose it all depends what your expectations are.

cubix wrote: »
    Sometimes I find it very handy if you have a neighbours house who has had work done recently to use as an example. Had the doors/skirting/frames/floors etc changed down stairs last year and very happy with the finish. The same lad gave me a quote for up upstairs but think he might be a bit heavy as everyone’s situation has changed. While the cheapest quote will not always be the best especially with a finish for wood. Anyone else I bring in to quote I will just ask them up front this is the type of finish I am looking for can you do it and save both of us the time and hassle.
    Cannot say 100% but I am sure the chippys on here might confirm you are really looking for a finishing carpenter who hangs doors/lays floors all day. The lad I had in was using a router to etch out the hinge beds and have to say it really is a neat finish compared to chiseling out
    At the end of the day I suppose it all depends what your expectations are.
    true. I hardly ever use a chisel for hinged any more. You just cant beat a machined finish that a router leaves

Advertisement