Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed in dealing with woo

• 20-05-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

a work colleague of mine is spending a huge amount of his time and money on acupuncture for various things from sinus problems to asthma.

I want to help him as I have good time for him, but I find it really hard to talk to him about it as he is so convinced of it (he particularily thinks the acupuncturist herself is amazingly perceptive - i.e "... she can tell if i was drinking at the weekend").

Should I let him keep on with this placebo or should I put him straight?

I would hate to see him become reliant on it totally (he is going a few times a week now).

Its sometimes tough being a skeptic

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Difficult to know what to do here.

As long as he's not really sick, then spending money on useless treatments isn't going to do him much harm long-term. Telling him, or implying to him, that he's wrong is just going to annoy him.

On the offchance that he does eventually get sick from something that acupuncture can't help him with (pretty much everything really), then you can always recommend he goes to a real doctor. Ultimately, whom your friend chooses to acquire medical advice from is up to your friend and there's little point in getting upset about it.

But sheesh! An actupuncturist telling somebody that they'd been drinking over the weekend? Really! She should be ashamed of herself for using such a corny line.

BTW, would I be right in suspecting that the actupuncturist is a PYT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Danowar

cheers mate. yeah i suppose, as long as he just goes there to "treat" the kind of stuff that isn't life threatening its not too bad (the wallet is the only caualty).

I tried to tell him my dad gave acupuncture a shot one lent in an effort to get off the fags (true), but that it was a failure (also true) and eventually will-power did it for him. But it didn't even slightly dent his belief.

Must find out if the practitioner is a fine thing .. its very possible thats a BIG part of it.

yeah, the drinking line is hilarious .... i'm surprised she didn't tell him "mmmmm, were you sleeping last night?"

Thanks for the reply. I'll leave well-enough alone for now anyway

Advertisement