Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get on bball team in dublin?

• 20-05-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hey folks.

I used to play alot in my younger days but that was a good few years ago. Id love to get back playing again. Im based in Rathcoole, is there any teams near me. Would like to get on a div 4/5 team. Any suggestions on who to contact? When does the season start or am i too late already?

Thanks in advance.

Vinnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i'm thinking about setting up my own team
    would be interested in hitting maybe div 4 and work our way up
    PM me if interested
    same applies to other possible recruits out there
    i'm thinking about setting up a summer camp as well
    could be used to dust off those cobwebs before the season kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Heres the best place to find contacts in dublin for teams as all mens clubs are listed along with contact info and addresses

http://dmbb.net/homepage.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sean_r

Conno, I'm in. Where are you based?

i was thinking about setting up a weekend camp on the courts just north of gardner street
    i'll hold some trials to ensure we recruit the right type of player
    looks like it might be more complicated than expected re registering the team though - but leave that to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

We started playing in the indoor basketball league and now we're in the summer league

http://www.dublinindoorsports.ie/

have ye any spare players?

We started playing in the indoor basketball league and now we're in the summer league

http://www.dublinindoorsports.ie/

If your looking for players let me know im getting on but can still ball a bit and need something to keep me active this summer

trials for my new team on both this saturday and next saturday on the gardner street courts at 11:00
    bring a packed lunch and some liquids to rehydrate

the team will be set up in the superleague for next season
    so the plan is to get training and i've got some challenge games set up over july / august

conno16 wrote: »
    trials for my new team on both this saturday and next saturday on the gardner street courts at 11:00
    bring a packed lunch and some liquids to rehydrate

the team will be set up in the superleague for next season
    so the plan is to get training and i've got some challenge games set up over july / august

Have you been smoking crack??? :D

You cant just put a team into the superleague, you need sponsorship as it takes lots of money and to have been around longer than 3-4 months (the length of time ye would of been around come the start of the next season) have to have competed in a some sort of league.

Or are you affliating yourself with a club already in existence and is your daddy minted ha

i have secured some sponsorship and will be financing up to 25% myself
    once i have assembled a team, we'll play some exhibitions (have a dunking / shooting contest) and i'm sure i'll secure the rest of the cash

its not a problem registering once you can put cash on the table
    basketball ireland are actively recruiting teams!
    and season one will just be about survival

deora marsh will be attending on saturday week to help me evaluate players

this is happening

Glad to hear it, and best of luck with it what will your team be called and where will ye be playing out of, might come catch a game as my years of superleague are far behind me id say at this stage.

25% man thats a lot to put up yourself like 15-25 grand depending on how you go about it, any chance of a loan ha ha ;)

i'm not expecting miracles in year one
    deora might even get a few games
    i think we'll be respectable but prob whipped in a few games by the stronger squads
    this is a long term project

at the minute we're called Subway Blizzards but I expect my current primary sponsor to be blown out of the financial water within the next 2/3 weeks

Sorry to tell you D is well past it one of my mates has played with him for as long as i can remember and he has bearly played in the last while so i hope you have 2 strong americans in line and at least one bosman.

Ill fly to the states for you if you need a scout just buy me a few tickets ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

This is the best thing I've heard of in a while. I'd love to see this team play. Sound like fantasy football, no disrespect intended.

I've been looking to join a team over the last 2 seasons but found the door shut to outside players. Nothing happening over in the south side Dundrum area.

Best of luck boys, but superleague player I aint.

come along to the trial and deora and I will determine if we can find a role for you
    most of the players coming are 30 + but have good experience
    i've raided a past team from killester - average age is 32 but i reckon we'll take up to three of their players
    at this stage i cant say what that standard will be like so would encourage everyone even 50% interested to come along and have a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat the Patriot

Try Div 1 dublin 1st b4 moving onto superleague......crawl b4 you walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

u dreamin man

I still reckon money is the key......

Here are a few things you may need to go superleague from my experience, off the top of my head, hope these help you out as the first year is the hardest.

1) Between 60 and 100 k to run the club (spending on the things below).
    2) A perminant homecourt (with good seating for paying fans) which is willing to give you all of its saturday evening and night or a sunday every second weekend and will be flexible as the dates always change.
    3) Outside that a decent training facility for 2 to 3 trainings a week (court and gym).
    4) 2 skilled americans capable of giving 25 points plus a game.
    5) 1 bosman (generally a point gaurd) able to gel the team and run it on the court for you.
    6) A place for these guys to live, with everything they will need.
    7) A good coach who knows the game and is willing to work with your americans to keep them fit and game ready (as they have alot of down time), and who can develop Irish talent and treat them with the same respect shown the paid americans.
    8) Game transportation and in some case hotels for 2 game road trips.
    9) Qualified table officials i.e score keeper, time clock opperator etc.
    10) First aider and first aid facilities for home games.
    11) A group of 5-6 people willing to become the backbone of the club as in management.
    12) The a bench of about 10 irish/nationalised irish players 4 of them good enough to play good minutes and contribute then the rest willing to play 2-8 mins a game just as time fillers either up and comers, or veterines.

if i think of anything more ill send it your way, and best of luck as the irish league needs some WELL RUN teams as some of them are a bit of a farce.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Subway Blizzards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

^ Thats funny because one of the local teams (Moycullen) will be competing in the SuperLeague for the first time in it's history and I reckon they only have half of the factors that you listed.

Ah but Moycullen has been around for ever i played against them way back when, when we got relegated from superleague for losing funding and a few other things.

Hope they survive the first year in superleague, wouldnt mind seeing Titans go superleague in the next few seasons too.

next saturdays trial will take place in belfield
    same approach - 11.00 am to 14:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

This all seems very short-sighted, but hey, best of luck next year with it!

My advice would be to take on Dublin D1 first (the standard of basketball there is pretty high, there's plenty of players there who could/should be playing superleague)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 QuinnyC

Hmm, Is tis really true. Interested in coming along and having a look, dont really think I would be NL standard but in case you guys are playing D1 dublin I am looking for a club for next season and need some options. Is it on in the gym in belfield campus?

I might drop out to UCD next Sat for a look at the trials........I'm intrigued about what players might show up.

if ye're coming along lads bring gear - i'm not interested in having blokes looking on from the sidelines
    me and deora will determine if ye're up to it or not

belfield gym
    booking under "Subway Blizzards"

The deadline for the National Cup is tomorrow....check out - http://www.basketballireland.ie/splash.jsp This is the biggest exposure event for Basketball in Ireland.......it'd be a pity for your potential team to miss out?

......crawl b4 you walk.

you said it pat... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Got sorted. Training with a team 2 nights a week, will see how ive progressed by start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Lads, i can't believe you can even listen to the bull**** coming out of that troll. He's a disillusioned child!