Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vaccinations?

• 20-05-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

i'm planning to head to ecuador during the first half of August, just for 3 weeks, but am wondering what the requirements regarding vaccinations are. My searches seem to turn up some contradictions. Basically i'm wondering how far in advance i need to get the vaccinations, will early june be too late (am i too late now?). Yellow fever is essential to gain entry (i'll be going straght from ireland to there) and as i'll be in a rural and jungal area a few others are going to be needed too along with the usual.
    Any info' would be reallly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

quacks wrote: »
    i'm planning to head to ecuador during the first half of August, just for 3 weeks, but am wondering what the requirements regarding vaccinations are. My searches seem to turn up some contradictions. Basically i'm wondering how far in advance i need to get the vaccinations, will early june be too late (am i too late now?). Yellow fever is essential to gain entry (i'll be going straght from ireland to there) and as i'll be in a rural and jungal area a few others are going to be needed too along with the usual.
    Any info' would be reallly appreciated..
    http://www.tmb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 37 quacks

thanks, tis a handy site alright. I did check it but can't find on it how far in advance of travel you are meant to get the shots.
    Also it does not recommend a vaccination against diptheria whereas most other sources seem to. Is it generally safe to assume what tmb say goes?
    Normally i wouldn't ask and just eror on the side of caution but i did see one site say the diptheria vaccination is needed 3 months in advance of travelling which would mean i'm too late. Thanks again for any info..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

quacks wrote: »
    thanks, tis a handy site alright. I did check it but can't find on it how far in advance of travel you are meant to get the shots.
    Also it does not recommend a vaccination against diptheria whereas most other sources seem to. Is it generally safe to assume what tmb say goes?
    Normally i wouldn't ask and just eror on the side of caution but i did see one site say the diptheria vaccination is needed 3 months in advance of travelling which would mean i'm too late. Thanks again for any info..

Well the first time I got travel vaccines (which was at the tropical medical bureau), I was told to get them six weeks in advance of going. I got them pretty much exactly 6 weeks in advance (this included diptheria) and I'm still alive anyways.

I would generally assume that what TMB says goes, but anyway I actually noticed that diptheria doesn't appear in the list for the country I went to and they gave it to me anyway - presumably because it was in the same vaccine as tetanus and polio, which I did need, so you might get it anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Sorry to hijack the thread but is tmb.ie the cheapest for vaccines? What other choices are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Overblood wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but is tmb.ie the cheapest for vaccines? What other choices are there?

If you're a student it's probably cheaper to get them done in your college.

TMB are probably not the cheapest but I would consider them absolutely excellent in terms of the service they provide - they not only administer the travel vaccines, but go through the different types of risks in the country with you (including what food isn't safe to eat, etc), and also prescribe things that you might need in that country relevant to your medical history (i.e. on one occasion they gave me a prescription for tablets to take if I got an insect bite in a certain country as I have a history of reacting very badly to insect bites). Tbh I wouldn't go anywhere else. I have always found all their staff to be very friendly and knowledgeable and excellent at what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy

Some should make a vaccinations sticky

Advertisement