Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double decker toasted sambo

Options
  • 20-05-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was in a hotel over the weekend and ordered a toasted sambo. When it came out, it was bread, meat, bread, meat, bread, with all 3 bread sections toasted on both sides, aswell as the meat inside. I just can't fathom how this was done. I assume they used some sort of special toaster, but is there any easy to recreate it at home with a regular grill or toaster?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Use toaster to toast bread.
    Use grill to grill meat.
    Sandwich together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I use toast as the bread, make my double decker with whatever I fancy. Usually it's ham, cheese, tomato and onion and cook it @ medium/low heat in microwave for 5 minuets approx, turning it half way trough.

Leave to stand for a while before cutting and eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thought you meant a toasted sandwich with one of these in it:

choc_doubledecker-431x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

corblimey wrote: »
    I was in a hotel over the weekend and ordered a toasted sambo. When it came out, it was bread, meat, bread, meat, bread, with all 3 bread sections toasted on both sides, aswell as the meat inside. I just can't fathom how this was done. I assume they used some sort of special toaster, but is there any easy to recreate it at home with a regular grill or toaster?
    Eh? Just toast the bread and then put it together... Unless I'm missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

the 2 outer pieces toast on 1 side, butter the toasted side and put your filling on. middle slice toast on both sides. then place your sambo into a panini maker or sandwich grill and thts that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I think rocknchef's idea is the closest in theory. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I fry sandwiches like this. You can toast the bread beforehand, but you can dry fry 2 slices of bread on one side only, then make your sandwich with this toasted side inside, i.e. you put cheese & ham on the toasted side. Now I put mayo or butter on the outside of the sandwich, spread on the untoasted sides of the bread. Now fry it, the mayo has oil & egg so is sort of like a light french toast and goes golden and really crisp. The heat also melts the cheese & heats the ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

rubadub wrote: »
    I fry sandwiches like this. You can toast the bread beforehand, but you can dry fry 2 slices of bread on one side only, then make your sandwich with this toasted side inside, i.e. you put cheese & ham on the toasted side. Now I put mayo or butter on the outside of the sandwich, spread on the untoasted sides of the bread. Now fry it, the mayo has oil & egg so is sort of like a light french toast and goes golden and really crisp. The heat also melts the cheese & heats the ham.

That's a great idea! I fry toasted sandwiches too but have always fried them in olive oil. Definitely going to try the mayo thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

rubadub wrote: »
    +1 on the mayo thing, I love mayo, no idea how I never heard or thought of this before. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

taram wrote: »
    +1 on the mayo thing, I love mayo, no idea how I never heard or thought of this before. :O

Heinz have three new mayos out, tikka,carmelised onion and roasted garlic... they are delish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

MJOR wrote: »
    Heinz have three new mayos out, tikka,carmelised onion and roasted garlic... they are delish!

IMO the roasted garlic is the best ever.

Advertisement