Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd rw

Options
  • 20-05-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

sata dvd rw
    i got my hands on a dvd rw but it's a sata and i've only got ide. now should i buy a sata pci card or buy ide driven dvd rw. i got the other free.
    (anyone fancy a swap):D:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Any post containing "i've only got ide" should be serenaded with everyone else laughing and shouting "YOU NEED A NEW PC!!1!" lol.gif

Seriously, why get a converter when a replacement drive is probably cheaper? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Thanks for that........................... you can stop laughing now :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

wex96, a nice Sony (made by NEC\Optiarc) or LG with lightscribe, PATA, will clock in at about 25-30 euro over-the-counter in Dublin.

Online, about 18-25 euro, excluding delivery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What mobo do you have anyway?

Or is the problem just an old OEM PSU that lacks SATA power connectors? (because that is fixable. Cheaply.)

> Mainboard : HP d530 SFF (DC578AV)
    > Chipset : Intel i865G
    > Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
    > Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR-SDRAM )
    > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Microsoft Corporation)
    > Hard Disk : ST340015A (40 GB)
    > Hard Disk : WDC (120 GB)
    > External hard ddik : 500 GB
    > CD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-212B
    > DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616F
    > Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E197FP - 19 inches
    > Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
    > Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
    > DirectX : Version 9.0c (November 2006)

where do you start with upgrading:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Looking at that list I suggest you start from the ground up!

Looking at that list I suggest you start from the ground up!

Why..? If the person is not a gamer and\or the PC suits his or her needs at the moment, there is no need to upgrade.

25 euro on a nice double layer DVD burner with Lightscribe should do the trick, PATA drives are still readily available. LG or Sony(NEC).

anyone got a match :P:P:P:P:)

Amalgam wrote: »
    Why..? If the person is not a gamer and\or the PC suits his or her needs at the moment, there is no need to upgrade.

25 euro on a nice double layer DVD burner with Lightscribe should do the trick, PATA drives are still readily available. LG or Sony(NEC).

i'm not a gamer and it suits me

Glad to hear it, this post brought to you thanks to a Barton 2500.. but the motherboard supports SATA, so, there's a mix of the old (Barton) and the fairly new (WD Raptor). :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lickarse2

Or you can go with the other suggestion and add a SATA PCI card. Not exactly going to break the bank either.

Advertisement