Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificially high student rent prices.

• 20-05-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that rent prices on the NUIM housing list for students are a lot higher than prices on sites such as daft.ie?
    And most of the houses on the housing list are twin rooms etc. It's possible to find a really nice house for way cheaper on other sites, but they usually don't rent to students...
    Prices are meant to be falling, but it seems, the prices are exactly the same as last year when they shouldn't be!
    The way i see it, landlords are all keeping the prices high for students cuz they know that there are so many of us looking for accom and we'll take anything we can get.
    I think people in the SU should be in touch with the residence office to do something about this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I know people that are in Galway and the like that have gotten their landlord to lower the rent. Obviously the same can't be done for on-campus accommodation but it's definitely worth a try talking to landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

In fairness to most landlords having students living in their house can cost them more than having normal people in it.

Students only pay rent for 8.5 months of the year, landlords take a greater risk with unpaid rent with students(i know a good few) and of course there are the cleaning costs too :(

Saying that however my aim in terms of rent for next year is to get an "ok" single room for around €60-€65 a week.

Well that's the aim anyway.

I think i might actually start a new thread on this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

That's what the deposit is for, so that if there are damages or cleaning cost, we act pay for it, instead of the landlord taking the cost.

If you have a look at the housing list on the college website, i don't think you'll find any single rooms for that kind of price, on the other hand a quick search on daft.ie will bring up several results, all single and all within that price range. I've rang a few ppl who have listings on daft and they all seem to say the same thing, that they don't rent to students..

http://daftwatch.atspace.com/

Rents should be coming down but then again with NAMA and the banks rolling over debt on developers then we wont really see the actual rates reduce as much as they should going on the graphs in that link. However other places are showing signs of large drops in rent:
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewforum.php?f=26

and

http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/index.php

some excellent sites there for renters!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What price are they on the residence office thing?

I think a lot of the sharing ads on daft are people who have signed up to a lease with a landlord and are looking to get an extra person for one of the rooms.

I imagine the people going to the residence office are landlords with whole houses to rent out willing to take in students.

Since there is more competition for the sharing, people are maybe more willing to reduce prices and take the extra 5 euro hit each on rent than landlords being willing to accept the reduction in rent of 10 euro a month or so.

Just an idea. I know that will be the situation in the house I'm renting. lease is in my name and looking for one person for a single room so taking the hit myself to try to get someone for the room or else rent will be expensive afterwards. Know someone else who was doing the same with the place he has taken on the lease on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement