Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Sharpening in Galway?

Options
  • 20-05-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

(just in time for the local elections, heh heh)

Seriously though... my cook's knife is in need of a professional sharpening. My steel can't get it right anymore. I don't know the first place to look for this service since I used a mobile one in Canada. (It was just like an ice cream truck, complete with music, except instead of children, middle aged housewives chased after it with knives. I'm not even joking.)

So, anyone got any recommendations? Preferably cheap enough as well...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Sweet talk a butcher to do it for free.... That's what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We need a serrated edged knife sharpened, don't think a butcher can do that/

I assume, butchers also use serrated edged knives, so I don't see why they couldn't.

Never know unless you ask... will take all of 2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

One day when at the Charcoal Grill a guy arrived outside in a van... he had a whole workshop setup in the back, took all their knives and did them there and then! No idea who he was but maybe ask the guys in Charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sweet talk a butcher to do it for free.... That's what I'd do.

No butcher near me so I don't have a prior customer relationship with one :(

Excellent idea, but I'd feel very scabby asking a butcher to whom I've never paid a red cent for a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

I got this "Kitchen Devils" sharpener for 6 euro in a hardware store.

Very safe and easy to use. Just insert the knife and pull it towards you three or four times, applying slight downward pressure.

It gives great results and it's handy to have around to keep the knives sharp.

602011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Thanks elyod, but that works as a steel - it doesn't actually sharpen so much as realign the edge of the blade. Useful for sure! But after a while you'll need to "remake" the edge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah definitely ask the butcher.

I only have my first set of proper knives for a year so haven't had to bother any butchers just yet!

As far as I remember butchers don't use serrated knives though galwayrush.

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd feel very scabby asking a butcher to whom I've never paid a red cent for a favour.

I can understand the apprehension. Just use your magical Canadian charm on him. All Irish butchers are powerless to resist....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement