Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase 6

Options
  • 20-05-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

hey, just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the questions you would typically get on the electrical science paper,
    Things you would most need to go over for the exam
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Im not sure TBH.

I would suggest that you look over past papers. If you have any questions post them here and someone will help you out. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 backspace1987

thanks for the reply!
    they dont really give out past exam papers!

with reference to transformers explain what it is meant by "star point" ????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

3 phase transformers and motors can either be connected in "star" or "delta". The windings (below) on the left are connected in star and on the right in delta (there is no star point with a delta connection). The "start point" is the point that all 3 windings have in common. This is where the neutral is connected.

350px-Phasewinding.jpg

I think you are wrong! Ask your lecturer/instructor for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

2011 wrote: »

Would that not be more of a phase 4 question?

2011 wrote: »
    I think you are wrong! Ask your lecturer/instructor for them.

They are not meant to have them or copy them out but they do.

• Advertisement

I have no idea
    Good enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Your lecturer shoul give you out some. Or GMIT have them on their libarys website under exam papers.If you know someone whos a student there as you need a pin code to view/print them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Davy wrote: »

No its a phase 2 question.

superg wrote: »
    No its a phase 2 question.

Well not a phase 6 one then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 backspace1987

WOW phase 2 must have changed big time since i went,
    tick the box :D

anyone know about this one?
    tests on a power transformer gave
    short circuit test 60KW on full load
    open circuit test 40KW on full supply voltage
    if the traffo has a rating of 500kVA , calculate it efficiency if it is on half load at unity power factor?

• Advertisement

if the traffo has a rating of 500kVA , calculate it efficiency if it is on half load at unity power factor?

Short circuit = Copper/ I^2R losses - vary with the load
    Open circuit = iron losses/eddy currents - these are constant unless primary voltage changes.

Copper losses @ half load = 15kw
    Iron losses = 40kw
    Total losses = 55kw

Eff= output X 100
    (output + losses) 1

500Kva @ half load = 250 kva output.

250 .
    250 + 55

250 100
    305 X 1 = 81.96% efficient

Well answered Davy!
    I dont think this matters. If someone has a question they should ask it.

Sometimes any of us can forget basic stuff or by mistake it may not have been covered in college when it should have been.

I have seen too many sparks/apprentices/engineers/DIYers that would love to ask something but are afraid to expose the fact that they are not sure of the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Theres been some changes in recent years alright.

Best of luck with the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Is there any books that you have to buy when you go to college or do they just give you notes? I will be going on to phase 2 soon and just would like something to look over

m.j.w wrote: »
    Is there any books that you have to buy when you go to college or do they just give you notes? I will be going on to phase 2 soon and just would like something to look over

Electrical Craft Principles: vol.1 and vol.2 by John Whitfield. If you know these two books you would be well ahead of phase 2. Obviously these are only a side to the notes but they would be a good resource to have.

Vol 1

Vol.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sean5690

Does anyone have exam papers from phase 4

Sean5690 wrote: »
    Does anyone have exam papers from phase 4

Someone was emailing examples on another thread lately, i cant remember who it was, but it was very recently. If you use the search function you should find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

OP I have loads of phase 6 past papers in PDF file type,pm me your email address if you wish and il send them onto you,20 papers in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

just came from phase 6 in gmit were given all papers online. have ect and elec sc including one i just sat. can send them onto you sned me a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deanob

hey if its possible could u please forward them to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kingden2006

hi lads just wondering if any of you have any phase 6 past notes on e.c.t and e.s and some on plcs.
    any notes would do at all and i would really appreciate it,or if you have any past phase questions with the model answer on them,i have past papers on both,but with no answers on them.
    any help would be much appreciated.
    and if anyone is looking for past phase 4 papers i have both of them with the model answers thanks very much lads.

hi davy was just wondering how you got have load for that question as 15kw?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

hi davy was just wondering how you got have load for that question as 15kw?

Since it was on half load its 60 x (•5 squared)

If it was on 3/4 full load then it would be 60 x (•75 squared)

oh!yes cheers sparcocars....loads of those type of questions on some of the past papers i have for phase 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ecoangel

Hi,

I am looking for past papers for phase 6 please
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

ecoangel if you pm me your e-mail address ill send you some past papers for phase 6.

does anyone know where i could get phase 6 past notes on science craft practice and plcs?
    cheers lads any help would be well appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 apt111d1

hi could you send me on those papers. Im half way through phase 4 in Carlow at the moment. Would you possibly have papers for that. Thanks a mil

Advertisement