Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you Pro-Choice or Pro-Life

Options
  • 20-05-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

anti-abortion personally but abortion should be 100% legal in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm Anti-Abortion, but not Pro-Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

100% pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

There's a massive thread on this in After Hours already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm anti-arguments-about-abortion-on-the-internets.

They might start out a civilised debate, but always end badly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Im personally pro-choice even though im not sure its an option id use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I'm pro-making-my-own-mind-up, and anti-making-anyone-else's-mind-up-for-them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Pro-choice. Especially in the cases of rape or the child being brought into a home where it would be maltreated.

Abortion is incredibly misunderstood, especially over here. I see no problem with it if it's done in the incredibly early stages of pregnancy.

By the same logic each time a woman ovulates or a man ejaculates it's wasting a child's life because it has "potential" to be a "life."

All a bit silly, really. It's not a sentient being, you're not going to hurt it by getting out out of your system, it's the same as anything else. Occurs naturally sometimes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why isn't the expression "pro abortion" used? Tiptoe-ing?

I'm in favour of early stage termination when the woman's circumstances are not ideal for raising a child, therefore I am pro abortion.

Abortion is incredibly misunderstood, especially over here. I see no problem with it if it's done in the incredibly early stages of pregnancy.
    Thats your perogative, but its a very patronising statement to say that others just don't 'understand' abortion.
    By the same logic each time a woman ovulates or a man ejaculates it's wasting a child's life because it has "potential" to be a "life."
    While a fertilised egg may or may not be a human being, its not the same thing as ejaculate and an ovum.
    All a bit silly, really. It's not a sentient being, you're not going to hurt it by getting out out of your system, it's the same as anything else. Occurs naturally sometimes anyway.
    Sorry, but people aren't being silly because they don't think its the same as anything else. And a natural occurance is just that, natural. Seeking an abortion is, I'm sure, one of the most difficult things a woman can do, and demeaning the impact of that decision by referring to it as the 'same as anything else' is just naive and patronising.

I'm not particularly anti-abortion, but I won't shoot down people who don't share the same views as being somehow incapable of understanding it, or making a big deal about nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

1. I think it should be in a window of 12 weeks.
    2. I think there should be every option available made crystal clear to the person before hand.
    3. I think counselling should be compulsary before and after and be freely available..IE no charge.

Women dont choose abortion because it's the easy route. They choose it because they feel they have to, for what ever reason that is. If my best friend came to me tomorrow and said she wanted support to go for one, then i would support her... because i am her friend. I just wish they would redeuce the time limit / cut it in half.

Part of me says all life is sacred, but, part of me knows the mental anguish of being pregnant and feeling trapped. People should have some sort of choice before twelve weeks. Why twelve weeks? i dont know, maybe it should be ten.. but the longer the pregnancy goes.. the more developed the foetus gets.. and then it's more a tiny person than a bundle of growing cells.

Probably made no sense :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pro-choice. I believe that the provision of safe, legal abortion services is a necessary part of providing a good reproductive health service.

themadchef wrote: »

Women dont choose abortion because it's the easy route.

Some do.

A third of all abortions in the UK are repeat abortions, and its fair to assume its just another form of contraception to some of those women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1942614/Repeat-abortions-rise-to-record-levels.html

I've mixed feelings about abortion being used this way, but I think its a bit rose-tinted to say that all women find abortion hard.

But I do believe the vast majority would find the decision itself difficult, even if ultimately they were glad they'd done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Dudess wrote: »
    Why isn't the expression "pro abortion" used? Tiptoe-ing?

Probably because it implies that the person is in favour of a woman having an abortion, when that's not necessarily the case.

Pro-choice just implies that the woman should be allowed to have the choice, whatever their decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

pro-choice.

I believe that a child should always be wanted by their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dinner wrote: »
    Probably because it implies that the person is in favour of a woman having an abortion, when that's not necessarily the case.

Pro-choice just implies that the woman should be allowed to have the choice, whatever their decision.
    Oh I know "pro choice" is applicable to those who wouldn't want their child aborted but believe every other woman should have the right to choose... yet there are people who are pro abortion but the phrase is never uttered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cuckoo wrote: »
    I'm anti-arguments-about-abortion-on-the-internets.

They might start out a civilised debate, but always end badly...
    Funny I would agree on both counts, especially when the OP has just jumped in and not left a comment of their own. Smells too much like stirring to me, especially given your other recent thread in this forum. You want to do a survey? Take it elsewhere. Closed.

PS tolteq start another thread of that kind in this forum and you will be banned. One and only warning

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

tolteq, following further discussion and taking into account this isn't your first time being called up for trolling on this forum you are banned from tLL for a year.

*sigh* Trolling. It really is the saddest method of attention seeking out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement