Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pizza Delivery

Options
  • 20-05-2009 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

So, say I order 8 large pizzas from Dominos and a garlic bread. I pay online for this. The order comes to the door 40 mins later. The garlic bread is missing.

Am I allowed to ask for a refund and refuse delivery of the pizzas?

Is it then reasonable to make a counter-offer on the pizzas they're going to no doubt throw out and offer a few euro less for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Don't pay for them online, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Simple as what? It doesn't answer my question.

(The same mistakes can be made if you pay with a card over the phone too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I think that u should pay for the pizza as u recieved it minus the garlic bread ask them for a voucher as a gesture of goodwill:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Call them and demand the bread, they should then deliver this seperatly and not charge you for delivery

If however they have not provided you with the bread you could also call them and request a refund for this part of your order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd say yes to the first one. If something is missing from your order and you don't want to take the full order without it, it should be reasonable to get a refund.

The second one, I think may be a bit cheeky... but if you have the balls for it, go for it. You'd have to ring the pizza place though because I'm sure the delivery driver wouldn't have the power to make that decision and if you want to stand around waiting for the pizza to go cold then that's cool too.

• Advertisement

Right .. maybe the garlic bread is a bad example?

Say it's Garlic dips are missing. And I don't like pizza without garlic dips. What's the use in them being delivered separately 30 mins later when the pizza will be either eaten or cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Talk about a blowing something up out of all proportion. What you do is ring the shop, ask for the manager and he will get them out to you priority or issue you with a credit. Man, I know it could be just a hypothetical situation, but you dont need to be so panicked about it.

Talk about a blowing something up out of all proportion. What you do is ring the shop, ask for the manager and he will get them out to you priority or issue you with a credit. Man, I know it could be just a hypothetical situation, but you dont need to be so panicked about it.
    I'm not panicked about it and I don't know what gave you that idea.

Yes, it is a hypothetical situation in this case.. but it has happened numerous times and I guess we all just except it because .. well.. who cares? The way things are now though .. if I pay 25EUR for a pizza to my door and all the things that go with it, why should I not expect it to be what I ordered? After all, isn't that what I've paid for?

I'm discussing here I guess the legalities and practicalities of it.

As for "get them out to you priority" - waiting even 10 mins for dips for a pizza is too long, the pizza will be gone cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

But the pizza is going cold.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

people only pay for pizza online to avoid giving the delivery driver a tip !
    he probably ate your garlic bread on the way ;)

• Advertisement

delllat wrote: »

So that is why I said don't pay for it online, its stingey (sp?) and you can be sure you'll get a rep for being that and be at the end of any run a delivery driver makes as they defo look after the good customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The last time my order was wrong, I rang dominoes in tallaght and was told to keep it and the whole bill was credited to my phone number for use again.

I was eating pizza for weeks. LOL

So that is why I said don't pay for it online, its stingey (sp?) and you can be sure you'll get a rep for being that and be at the end of any run a delivery driver makes as they defo look after the good customers

This isn't relevant to this thread IMO for my reasons above.

Yes it is, you want to know what to do if you paid for an item in advance then it wasn't delivered, with Pizza you have to option of paying at the door without extra charge and if you do it this way them you avoid paying for the non delivered items. You can cherry pick the answers if you like but they are still relevant... Enjoy your now chilly pizza ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Random wrote: »
    Yes, it is a hypothetical situation in this case.. but it has happened numerous times and I guess we all just except it because .. well.. who cares? The way things are now though .. if I pay 25EUR for a pizza to my door and all the things that go with it, why should I not expect it to be what I ordered? After all, isn't that what I've paid for?

Then why keep on ordering from them if you're not happy with the service? Order from somewhere else. If this always happens would you know by now to expect it and maybe not order the items that are not getting delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I see where you are coming from, I love to get a delivery now and then and 2 seperate itmes I choose I will not eat without sauce so not to receive the sauce is a biggy for me. When it does happen often they add a credit to my account as a gesture of goodwill.

I worked in Dominos years ago, the driver does not have the ability to make the decision or even take any less than what he is due, u would need to call dominos while he is standing there, however I thin it is reasonable that they would send the missing part around and at the end of the day you always have to allow for some human error as irritating as it may be. I dont think they would go for any counter offer, most times they are way to busy to entertain anything like this but would be willing to credit your next order possibly.

Yes it is, you want to know what to do if you paid for an item in advance then it wasn't delivered, with Pizza you have to option of paying at the door without extra charge and if you do it this way them you avoid paying for the non delivered items. You can cherry pick the answers if you like but they are still relevant... Enjoy your now chilly pizza ;)

I appreciate you taking the time to respond with your thoughts but the reason I feel your answer isn't relevant is because it changes the scenario - when I want to discuss this particular scenario.
    matchthis wrote: »
    Then why keep on ordering from them if you're not happy with the service? Order from somewhere else. If this always happens would you know by now to expect it and maybe not order the items that are not getting delivered?

Again, that's a fair point but not relevant IMO. I'm talking about dealing with the situation rather than prevention etc. I really shouldn't have thrown in the bit about it happening all the time but I've experienced it with pretty much every delivery service in the area (and I live in Dublin so that's a lot).
    I see where you are coming from, I love to get a delivery now and then and 2 seperate itmes I choose I will not eat without sauce so not to receive the sauce is a biggy for me. When it does happen often they add a credit to my account as a gesture of goodwill.

I worked in Dominos years ago, the driver does not have the ability to make the decision or even take any less than what he is due, u would need to call dominos while he is standing there, however I thin it is reasonable that they would send the missing part around and at the end of the day you always have to allow for some human error as irritating as it may be. I dont think they would go for any counter offer, most times they are way to busy to entertain anything like this but would be willing to credit your next order possibly.

Let's leave the counter offer out of it .. that's me trying to be smart and then milk a situation more than anything else. Taking the p!ss I guess that would be.

Do you really think it's reasonable for you to lose out (you don't have the meal you ordered) as a result of the pizza places error? The driver isn't the issue here and the discussion about refunds etc would be had with the place on the phone while the drivers at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

a while ago i ordered pizza and a bottle of coke which was not delivered so i refused delivery which i was paying for at the door,

the delivery guy wanted me to take the pizza and he would drop up the coke later but i wouldnt accept that as it could take 30minutes

then he wanted me to do without the coke and only pay for the pizza but i couldnt accept that either,

i rang the shop to let them know why i was returning the pizza and the manager dropped up a fresh pizza and coke himself

i would say refuse the whole order if there is an item missing that you cant do without but if say one topping was missing or the free dips they sometimes give for the pizza crust then i would accept that.

slightly off topic but does anyone else think the amount of toppings on dominos and godfathers pizzas is being reduced? they used to be piled high with toppings but these days they are looking bland and scarce of meaty toppings.

If you order the pizza and you dont get your chicken dippers then why can't you just ask them if they'll take the pizza back with them to re-heat it whilst they fetch your dippers.

It's a pain that you'll have to wait a little longer, but that's the easiest, best way in my view.

Eitehr that, or just buy a pizza for €3 in a supermarket that will taste just as good (if not nicer) than one you'll order. But that's for a whole different topic. :p

Random wrote: »
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond with your thoughts but the reason I feel your answer isn't relevant is because it changes the scenario - when I want to discuss this particular scenario.

Again, that's a fair point but not relevant IMO. I'm talking about dealing with the situation rather than prevention etc. I really shouldn't have thrown in the bit about it happening all the time but I've experienced it with pretty much every delivery service in the area (and I live in Dublin so that's a lot).

Let's leave the counter offer out of it .. that's me trying to be smart and then milk a situation more than anything else. Taking the p!ss I guess that would be.

Do you really think it's reasonable for you to lose out (you don't have the meal you ordered) as a result of the pizza places error? The driver isn't the issue here and the discussion about refunds etc would be had with the place on the phone while the drivers at the door.

are you seriously on a forum asking people how you can "milk the situation" ?

the entire sorry episode could have been prevented by not being a tight cnut paying cash like a normal person

you wont wont get compensation because you dont deserve it ,end of

• Advertisement

are you seriously on a forum asking people how you can "milk the situation" ?

the entire sorry episode could have been prevented by not being a tight cnut paying cash like a normal person

you wont wont get compensation because you dont deserve it ,end of
    I've phrased it poorly or you've misread me.
    • Firstly as pointed out this is hypothetical.
    • Secondly, that bit in bold should read "Let's leave the counter offer out of it .. that would be me trying to milk a situation more than anything else and doesn't belong here".
    • Thirdly, I didn't mention that I (would) want compensation?

Hope that clears that up for you.

I think it is reasonable for them to send the missing item out to you or credit you for it or even deduct the amount of that item.

At the end of the day it is human error and as simple a job as it looks to be a delivery driver it is often quite hard to figure out what goes with what order and sometimes the extras are not made clear to them. Human error happens, we all make mistakes and at the end of the day you would be compensated in some form for it but you wouldnt be getting a free pizza!

I think it is reasonable for them to send the missing item out to you or credit you for it or even deduct the amount of that item.

At the end of the day it is human error and as simple a job as it looks to be a delivery driver it is often quite hard to figure out what goes with what order and sometimes the extras are not made clear to them. Human error happens, we all make mistakes and at the end of the day you would be compensated in some form for it but you wouldnt be getting a free pizza!
    I'm not suggesting a free pizza. I'm suggesting a refund for an incorrect order.

Like I said credit or deduct from the bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Yes, crediting you back seems to be normal I don't order pizza in I buy it in the shop or else go to pizza shop and eat it there.

I guess if you go by the Sales and Services act, goods (dip) were not as described (ordered), so you would be in-titled to refund or replacement.

The money should be refunded to your credit card.

Then they may give you vouchers ect for the mistake that was made.

If you want to make a complaint then call the store, as for the manager, personally I would not call over a dip (provided I did get my money back) unless the mistake became a regular occasion.

Ps Im no layer.

Good luck with future orders! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I fully understand your points but I do think that refusing to accept the whole order due to a small missing component is a bit much. I would seek credit from the store for the missing part.

Of course, it's a whole different story if an integral part of the order is missing, i.e. you get the rice, but not the curry.

dudara wrote: »
    I fully understand your points but I do think that refusing to accept the whole order due to a small missing component is a bit much. I would seek credit from the store for the missing part.

Of course, it's a whole different story if an integral part of the order is missing, i.e. you get the rice, but not the curry.

If you chose a refund I think that you should be able to send back the whole order, unless it says other wise in the T&C.

Of course if you keep the pizza you will only get refunded for the dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Getting a refund for 8 pizzas because they missed garlic bread, no. That'd be like buying two items in a shop, one of which goes faulty and then demanding a refund for both. The garlic bread is separate to the pizza so you'd only be entitled to the refund on that

If it was the garlic dips though that's a bit different because that's supposed to come with the pizza. In that case I'd say you'd be entitled to some credit (to the value of the dips, not the pizza) or for the driver to go and get them.

But if I made the driver go back and get a few measly garlic dips I'd never order from that place again for fear of what'd be in the pizza :D

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Getting a refund for 8 pizzas because they missed garlic bread, no. That'd be like buying two items in a shop, one of which goes faulty and then demanding a refund for both. The garlic bread is separate to the pizza so you'd only be entitled to the refund on that

If it was the garlic dips though that's a bit different because that's supposed to come with the pizza. In that case I'd say you'd be entitled to some credit (to the value of the dips, not the pizza) or for the driver to go and get them.

But if I made the driver go back and get a few measly garlic dips I'd never order from that place again for fear of what'd be in the pizza :D

exactly -i dont complain or give anyone a hard time who handles my food when im not around

it the food/service is bad i pay the bill and leave ,never to spend a dime there again

I dont bitch about the service to the manager so the staff get a bollicking and make my order "extra special" next time :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If it became a regular occurrence I would complain!
    If they don't get complaints if will just keep on happening.
    If they find customers complaining then they will probably improve!

Advertisement