Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

The SL65 will automatically pick up PIDs for new channels when you scan the TP...

but

My problem is that my Dad has one (SL65) and the frequency changes on some of the channels on its own, and when I rescan for, lets say, the BBC streams it brings them back in but changes the frequency of other channels...it really has me puzzled as I have 3 older versions of the SL65 from 2 years back and have no problems like this...The next thing I am going to try is, either to delete all channels and do a complete re-scan, or if possible reset to virgin mode!
    Any help would be much appreciated lads and lasses...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

That might work, but if you know the frequency, Video PID, Audio PID and PCR PID you could add each one manually following my directions above. Tes doing a TP scan is easier, but I too have found that occassionally scans don't pick some channels up every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Got one of these recently and, thanks to the good information given on this forum, managed to install it and find Astra 2 without too much trouble. I have one connection to the sl 65 I got with the kit and one to an older sl 55. I just can't seem to get the quality right on the sl 55 and it doesn't seem to make sense. I have 59% on ITV2 and it is breaking up yet I have wildly fluctuating quality, between 35% and 65%, on some of the music channels and the reception is perfect. The signal strength is about 85%. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

You could try swapping the boxes. If the problem doesn't move with the box, check the wiring, and how it is routed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Tried swapping the boxes at the weekend. I actually reset the default channel list on the SL 55 and this brought in more BBC and ITV regions some of which have a stronger signal quality than the ones I had, but the signal quality still fluctuates a lot. By the way can anyone tell me what the graduations are on the LNB , are they 1 degree, 5 degrees....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

bmaxi wrote: »
    Tried swapping the boxes at the weekend. I actually reset the default channel list on the SL 55 and this brought in more BBC and ITV regions some of which have a stronger signal quality than the ones I had, but the signal quality still fluctuates a lot. By the way can anyone tell me what the graduations are on the LNB , are they 1 degree, 5 degrees....?
    Also check the quality of the cable f connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stooge_dude

Hi There,

Is it possible to replace the sky lnb with the lidl silvercrest dual lnb so that i can feed the signal into the kitchen which has the silvercrest settop box, (the living room has an existing sky digital settop box.)

Is this at all possible???

Thanks
    Eugene

Thanks Tony... and if I buy the quad LNB specifically for sky - the silvercrest digital settop box will receive the signal corectly?

Does anyone know if you upgrade to Sky+ do they send the quas LBN out with the settop box?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

Looks like Lidl are selling the same silvercrest system again next Monday 7/7/08.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080707.p.SilvercrestDigitalHomeSatelliteSystem

€79.99

Ready the stampede!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Tony wrote: »
    No you need a quad lnb specifically made for the sky minidish
    Tony, just wondering why the Lidl LNB is not compatible with a sky dish...is it the supporting arm ( which I could modify) or is it the shape of the dish or something more technical...I too was hoping to replace my single Sky LNB with the Silvercrest double LNB to feed my existing sky and the lidl box in seperate rooms....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The focal point and the actual fittings are incorrect, you will get some signal but first rain shower you will get picture breakup. Quad lnbs for sky dihes are relatively inexpensive, save yourself the hassle :)

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Tony, just wondering why the Lidl LNB is not compatible with a sky dish...is it the supporting arm ( which I could modify) or is it the shape of the dish or something more technical...I too was hoping to replace my single Sky LNB with the Silvercrest double LNB to feed my existing sky and the lidl box in seperate rooms....

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thanks Tony....has anybody any experience with the new Lidl dish...would it be crazy to replace my existing Sky dish and single LNB with the Lidl dish and dual LNB....will the first storm of summer send it crashing to the ground????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The bracket that comes with those is very flimsy, cost of a decent bracket would nearly pay for a quad lnb

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Thanks Tony....has anybody any experience with the new Lidl dish...would it be crazy to replace my existing Sky dish and single LNB with the Lidl dish and dual LNB....will the first storm of summer send it crashing to the ground????

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

okay now i am going to sound like a real dumb idiot....but is there any way that the digital tuner on a lcd tv can be used in conjunction with a satelite dish to recieve any channels???

PS i am nowhere near a footprint for ftv channels by ariel...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Hi,

What reasons are there not to get the current €80 dish & receiver from Lidl?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Mark

I have a Lidl dish & receiver from one of their previous offers. Reasonably happy with it but it's only a 60cm dish so can lose signal when it rains & I don't get some Eurobird channels properly like Bubble Hits which I presumably would do with a wider dish. Perhaps someone could confirm?

With Channel 4 & E4 FTA now these sets do the job just fine I think.

Anyone know if it's possible to pick up an 80cm dish for one of these Lidl sets on it's own (without buying the whole thing again!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Seamu$ wrote: »
    I have a Lidl dish & receiver from one of their previous offers. Reasonably happy with it but it's only a 60cm dish so can lose signal when it rains & I don't get some Eurobird channels properly like Bubble Hits which I presumably would do with a wider dish. Perhaps someone could confirm?

With Channel 4 & E4 FTA now these sets do the job just fine I think.

Anyone know if it's possible to pick up an 80cm dish for one of these Lidl sets on it's own (without buying the whole thing again!)?
    on sale again today in lidl,only this time with 80cm dish,79.99euro but if you just want a dish on its own go to any satellite dealer and you should have no problem getting one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

is it just as simple as plugging it into the tv or how do they work??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oneeyedman

There are three types of digital TV broadcasts and each have a different receiver box.

Satellite, Cable and Terestrial.

You cannot use a terestrial receiver to decipher a satellite signal.

There is a terestrial receiver in your LCD.

I think i also saw on some of the sat channels the other night that Panasonic are introducing a new tele (viera??) with an integrated Freesat reciever.....might be worth looking in to if it suited you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

can somebody help me with this please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

dubman25 wrote: »
    can somebody help me with this please??

If you're talking about the satellite kit at Lidl, everything you need is included in the box for €80 (except the TV).

Connect the receiver to your TV (like you would a DVD player or VCR). Assemble the dish part as instructed in the supplied manual, and connect it to the receiver using the cable and connections provided. Point the dish at a satellite, and if you manage to point accurately enough, you might be able to get some of the preset channels. You can mess about with the dish on a swivel chair if it's your first time with this technology, get a handle on how the dish needs to be orientated to get the channels you want, before deciding where you want to bolt it to your wall.

If you are a technology-minded person, you shouldn't have any problems. There is tons of information available on the internet that will help you understand all you need to know. I had no experience with sat TV before I got the Lidl set last September, and I can say it's a great introduction for anyone whos interested to know about the technology, and expand their viewing horizons.

If you have loads of money to throw away, don't know an RF from a SCART connection, or have no interest in technology and need to plan your viewing habits using an EPG, then get someone to install their recommended setup, or get Sky instead.

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Mark

I'd be first to jump in and say that the Lidl kit is excellent value for money, but, I do have to admit that the wall bracket isn't the best if you're going to site the dish in a VERY EXPOSED location. My own one is fine, nice and sheltered, no problems. However, the January storms got the better of one installed at my parents house, which gets the full brunt of the North Atlantic sea. Luckily, the dish wasn't badly damaged, and I welded a strap along the back of the faceplate, and a couple of ribs to the tube/faceplate interface to strengthen it, and it's been fine since. The dish is still functioning perfectly fine with it's 3-LNB setup, signals intensity/quality not noticibly different to before the failure.

Still, the rest of the package is a great introduction to the technology, and even if you feel you're going to have to site it in an exposed location, getting a bracket from elsewhere isn't going to add much more to your investment. If you have the means/experience, make a bracket yourself - some of the ones I've seen in shops/online don't look much different to the one in the Lidl kit, so be careful if you go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

I’m getting the Lidl Silvercrest system and saw a lot of posts here about how the dish is a bit on the flimsy side. I have an old 1m analogue dish that’s been on the side of the house for years but redundant since I got Sky Digital.

My question is will the Silvercrest system work with my old analogue dish, I presume it will since I saw an earlier post saying it would work with a dust bin lid. :)

greatgoal wrote: »
    it will work with this dish,but you`ll have to turn it to 28 east as the old sky analogue dish would have been pointed at 19 east.

Maybe this is what he wants. He's already got Sky, so what would be the reason for pointing a second dish at 28E?

Anyway, to "Rigel", the dish isn't what I'd call "flimsy", it's well capable for the function it's designed for. If there is any part of the package that can be critisised, it's the wall bracket.

If the analogue dish you have up has been there for "years", maybe it's possible that the electronics in the LNB are knackered due to the elements. Unlikely that connecting a new receiver up to it would damage the new receiver, but it could be a possibility - someone with experience might be able to help more. If you have an old receiver, might be worth trying that on it first.

If you do decide to replace the 1m with the new 80cm one, you might be better to use the wall bracket already up there, after inspection of course. As long as it's not looking rusty or stress-marked, then chances are that if it was good enough for a 1m for years, it'll probably take your 80cm without any difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

Thanks GG and BL, you answered my main question, the dish will work. I plan on replacing the old analogue universal LNBs (they are working), diseq, and the cabling with current century equivalents.

As I’m hooking it up to a TV in different room to where I have Sky I want to point it at 28.2E and with the 1m dish and additional LNBs hope to get 19E and even 13E at a stretch and without a motor. What chance have I got?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

no problem mate,glad i was some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced installer to erect the dish in Dublin northside. And before you say it - no, I can't do it myself. Thanks.

I'm not sure if such information is allowed onlist. If it's not please PM me.

Thanks very much guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

can we put this dish on ground in the backyar?
    i already have a sLydish on wall
    not allowed to have one more sat dish

let me know if i can instal this on ground

• Advertisement

can we put this dish on ground in the backyar?
    i already have a sLydish on wall
    not allowed to have one more sat dish

let me know if i can instal this on ground

It can be installed anywhere, as long as you have line-of-sight to the satellite you want to receive signals from; it can be in a hole in the ground, propped up with sticks, or stapled to a dead horse*, as long as you have line of sight, and that the securing method is adequate.

Be aware that the lower it is, the more chance there is of the signal being blocked, such as kids or pets playing beside it, or someone parking a bin unstrategically, and also more chance of it being knocked out of alignment, again from kids or pets.

(* the dead horse is likely to rot and decay over time, so you may notice a decrease in signal intensity and quality as the alignment of the dish becomes worse)

EDIT: You may find some inspiration here:
    http://www.heyrick.co.uk/images/ricksworld/digibox/2007/rainy.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement