Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Has anybody managed to tune in Film4, More4 (and even find Channel 4) and still keep the BBC/ITV channels tuned in too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Near90fm

getcover wrote: »
    Has anybody managed to tune in Film4, More4 (and even find Channel 4) and still keep the BBC/ITV channels tuned in too?

try an autoscan. failing that read microtoyoto's advice on manual tuning above. that is spot on. also get frequencies from lyngsat.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

My dad can't find CH4 yet on his set.

I still haven't aligned mine properly. I used the in-ear doofer on Sunday morning and got the tone almost straight away. I had used the link to the google satellite map thing in an earlier post to point it pretty accurately in the direction the line on the map suggested.

Moving the dish, I arrived at the highest-frequency tone in the ear-piece, as per the manual, which resulted in this:

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

I got the intensity up to consistently between 74% & 82%, but the signal quality wouldn't go above 21%, where it jumped to for a second before jumping back to 14%, which was pretty constant.

I just read that the LNB arm should be pretty much horizontal (which mine isn't), and that the dish could even need to be at an acute angle to horizontal?

So it's back up the ladder for me this evening...

Can anyone see anything in my TV screenshots that says I'm on track or if doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Mark#1 wrote: »
    My dad can't find CH4 yet on his set.

I just read that the LNB arm should be pretty much horizontal (which mine isn't), and that the dish could even need to be at an acute angle to horizontal?

So it's back up the ladder for me this evening...

Can anyone see anything in my TV screenshots that says I'm on track or if doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

To say you're on track, unfortunately, no. You could be just 3 degrees out, or you could be 30 degrees out. The alignment has to be fairly accurate, and it's either all or nothing (more or less).

The arm (from dish to LNB) needs to be more or less horizontal, so if you're having trouble, maybe put it in that position, and swing it left/right to see if you can home in on any satellites, using the beeper. If you get a strong signal, but none of the BBC's etc are showing, check the other satellites to see if any are showing there (Astra1, Hotbird, etc). It can give you an indication on which direction you need to swing the dish to get Astra2.

Channel 4 isn't listed/named "Channel 4"; it's a number (can't remember offhand, something like "8341" - check the other threads). If the transponder has been scanned, it should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Earthnohow

As biologikal said CHANNEL4 is not listed as "CHANNEL4. CHL 4 CH4 or otherwise, it is listed as a 4 digit number that I have edited out, so I can't remember it exactly, but it is nested between INSPIRATION and the E4, E4 +1, More4, and More4+1 channels around channel no. 186 on my freshly wiped channel listing that was Auto scanned.

MARK#1: I would suggest moving the vertical axis up and down slowly once you get the high pitch audio signal from the horizontal alignment. Have someone call out the Signal Quality level reading as you continue to listen to the audio feedback. This will give you a positive idea of where you should be aiming. Try not to pay any attention to how the dish profile (side view) should be. Signal intensity will rise to approx. 90% as your Signal Quality jumps to approx. 65-75% level in today's clear weather conditions.
    Don't forget to make slight adjustments with a half tightened dish fittings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

@Mark#1 Looks like you're on the wrong satellite, Astra 1 19°e probably.
    C4 is on 10.729, 22000.

How do I know which satellite I'm pointed at?

Is it not a given that because I have BBC1 London, I'm pointed at 28.2E?

Sorry for my ignorance...
    biologikal wrote: »
    The arm (from dish to LNB) needs to be more or less horizontal, so if you're having trouble, maybe put it in that position, and swing it left/right to see if you can home in on any satellites, using the beeper. If you get a strong signal, but none of the BBC's etc are showing, check the other satellites to see if any are showing there (Astra1, Hotbird, etc). It can give you an indication on which direction you need to swing the dish to get Astra2.
    Earthnohow wrote: »
    MARK#1: I would suggest moving the vertical axis up and down slowly once you get the high pitch audio signal from the horizontal alignment.

Aren't these cantradictory pieces of advice?

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Yes

Ch4 is listed as 8350
    More4 is More4
    E4 is 8389

How do I know which satellite I'm pointed at?

Is it not a given that because I have BBC1 London, I'm pointed at 28.2E?

Mark

Are you getting a picture and sound when you have BBC1 London selected?

Doesn't look like it from the pictures you posted; some of the picture should be visible around the edge of the Info page you've called up.

If you're unsure about which satellite you're pointing at, you need to find a channel that you can actually see pictures and hear sounds, check the Info page for details like frequency and PIDs etc, and then find the corresponding entry on a satellite site like flysat.com or lyngsat.com

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php
    http://www.flysat.com/astra19.php

Also, it's not enough to just check the transponder frequency, as 19E and 28E in particular use the same transponder frequencies, for example 10733 H 22000 is used by both these satellites. So unless it's obvious what channel you're seeing, you may need to check the audio and video PIDs as well.

Aren't these cantradictory pieces of advice?

Mark

Contradictory, no, just 2 ways to help that will both be needed you get your dish aligned correctly.

What I suggested is fairly easy to do, as all it involves is loosely attaching your dish so that the LNB arm is horizontal, and then swing the whole dish slowly until you hear the tone go to a high pitch and you see a picture on your TV (assuming all your connections have been correctly made as per the instructions in the manual).

After you've found the satellite you want to keep it pointed at, you may then need to fine-tune the vertical adjustment to maximise the signal intensity/quality so that the signal won't be prone to breakup in adverse weather conditions.

It's also important to keep in mind another thing I mentioned before:
    If you get a strong signal, but none of the BBC's etc are showing, check the other satellites to see if any are showing there (Astra1, Hotbird, etc). It can give you an indication on which direction you need to swing the dish to get Astra2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

i have been using one for nearly 2 years with no problems,mine is connected to a standard issue sky dish and not the one it came with, alli done was looked to see what way my neighibours dish was facing and faced mine the same,
    when you search for channels click on free channels in the menu otherwise it downloads all sky channels , but they are coded and you cant watch em,
    also it will down load the same channels quite a few times ie bbc1 could come up 10 or more times, nothing you can do except save all channels then go to list and select edit , it asks for code which is 0000 then start deleting all channels you dont want, you also need to put the channels in order ie bbc1 bbc2 bbc3 an so on, it sounds hard but its not and the selection of channels is good, bbc 1,2,3,4 itv 1,2,3,4, e4 more4, {recent additions} men an motors, 4 zone reailty channels film4 true movies music channels kids channels sport news an loads more, i am very happy with my system

I had Channel 4 for a while on channels 9211, 9212, 9213, but they have become scrambled since yesterday. Anyone recieving Channel 4 on any another channels?

The original FTA C4 is still FTA - 10729 V 22000 - name: "8350"

A quick scout at flysat would tell you that: http://www.flysat.com/astra28.php

biologikal wrote: »
    The original FTA C4 is still FTA - 10729 V 22000 - name: "8350"

A quick scout at flysat would tell you that: http://www.flysat.com/astra28.php
    Thanks for that, but I can't seem to get it on that channel. I've found it in the list, but just get "No signal" onscreen.

Thanks for that, but I can't seem to get it on that channel. I've found it in the list, but just get "No signal" onscreen.

Did you rescan? I think there was a PID change recently. Delete the channel, and rescan the transponder. It was working last night, and I haven't seen any reports of it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

The Lidl System is so good. We can get everything bar sky and subscription channels. We have had ours nearly 2 years. We did hit a problem this week though as it stopped working. We called up the customer service number as it came with a 3 year guarantee. They told us to either post it back or bring it back and they would replace it. I did that and with NO drama (they didn't even want a receipt) they replaced the box, explained what the fault was - and we are watching ALL the channels again. In fact the replacement is getting a better signal that the old one!

I am so impressed with how simply the problem was solved. Great customer service! I didn't expect that having only spent €99!

sso wrote: »
    The Lidl System is so good. We can get everything bar sky and subscription channels. We have had ours nearly 2 years. We did hit a problem this week though as it stopped working. We called up the customer service number as it came with a 3 year guarantee. They told us to either post it back or bring it back and they would replace it. I did that and with NO drama (they didn't even want a receipt) they replaced the box, explained what the fault was - and we are watching ALL the channels again. In fact the replacement is getting a better signal that the old one!

I am so impressed with how simply the problem was solved. Great customer service! I didn't expect that having only spent €99!

Glad you got that sorted without any problems. As a matter of interest, what was wrong with the box that failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

Apparently the connection where the co-axial cable comes in had come un-stuck (un-soldered). We could have taken it apart and done it ourselves - but this was much simpler - and we got a new box which is giving us a really clear signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Earthnohow

Apparently the connection where the co-axial cable comes in had come un-stuck (un-soldered). We could have taken it apart and done it ourselves - but this was much simpler - and we got a new box which is giving us a really clear signal.
    Sounds like your box has had a weak solder joint all along, thus giving you less than 100% signal connectivity.

I was glad to hear it was not a component failure, as the system is a good one and sold at a good price. Just been looking at a good coated 90cm dish in Maplins for €56 and stronger wall bracket for €22. A motorised version with single LNB less wall bracket is €120+-.
    That single dish can use the Lidl Silvercrest twin LNB and allow me to get rid of my sky dish. The colour of the 90cm dish is more in keeping with the building and so less of an eyesore.
    Just wanted to pass that on as winter approaches....or are we already there :rolleyes:.

Thanks for letting us know what was wrong - something to check if I'm having similar problems in the future with mine.

• Advertisement

Finally got a chance to go back up on the roof with today's good weather today to try again...

I got all excited just now when I finally got TV channels on screen - perfect picture & sound, 78% intensity & 74% quality. Pity it was 19.2.

Much as I'd love to leave it there (there seems to be plenty of "evening" channels...), I got it for normal day-to-day TV, so I had to go back up on the roof to move the dish further left (I'm guessing it should be pointing the same way as my next-door neighbour's Sky dish?)

Problem is, the dish hits the chimney before it turns enough to where it looks like it's pointing the same way as the neighbour's.

So it looks like I either need to relocate the bracket further accross on the chimney so the dish clears the brickwork (on the neighbour's side, though I'm sure they wouldn't mind), or down to the front of the house in a position where the dish's orientation angle isn't obstructed.

It'd be easier & less of an eyesore if I just move it on the chimney. Anyone else have this trouble?

At least I know the system works...

EDIT: Sort of got it going. I moved the bracket on the chimney so the dish now rotates more freely. I've got the CH4s and some news, shopping & Asian-oriented channels, but the BBCs & ITVs are all still saying either "weak signal" or "no signal", and showing either broken picture or none at all.

The signal intensity is now consistently at 93% and signal quality is flicking around between 49% and low 70s.

I thought it was "all or nothing" with satellite reception?

I'm reluctant to muck around any more. I got a bit cheesed off with it and started to wonder if I should just take my Lidl dish down and get Sky+ now that it's just €50 for the box and €50 installation.

I've no idea which way I should move the dish now to get all the channels I should be getting. I only got this far by sitting on the roof with that whine in my ear and either my wife or son shouting up, "88, 14". "87, 21-no-61-no-14" for over an hour.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Before re-adjusting your bracket, try slightly turning the LNB. Getting the Satellites is pretty much all or nothing, but there are different transponders and different channels are on different transponders, I think all of the BBCs are on the same or adjacent transponders, and usually a tweak of the LNB or a minor adjustment of the dish is all you need to pick up the other transponders.

Thanks.

I'll try that when I get a chance.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

josh59 wrote: »
    Apparently this is due to happen later on this year when CH5 etc start broadcasting on the Freesat patform - ( what you are getting with your Lidl system) There are some other posts on this elsewhere on boards.ie but in essence what I've said above is the situation.

Cheers[/quote Hi. How can I find out when new channels are due to go to FTA. Would there ever be a time when UTV Gold. Drama etc would go FTA. Love oldies

The satellite forums at digitalspy ( http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141 ) are a good place to keep an eye on; lots of speculation, insider info, and usually first with news of new channels, changes or news. Noteworthy news will eventually find its way to boards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oneeyedman

I have a small but still annoying problem -
    i can get most channele except it seems BBC 3+4 - can get the cbeebies version ans CBBC butthe problem is that the now and next EPG goes to bed at 7pm with the babies - in the midlands with a 60cm Lidl dis hand overall happy with the return on what is a modest investment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Would there ever be a time when UTV Gold. Drama etc would go FTA. Love oldies

It's Possible and was hinted at a while ago, they are another crowd who would have a lot of rights issues to deal with aswell, but a lot of broadcasters seem to want some freesat action at the mo.

I agree though, they would be great additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

:)
    celticfc wrote: »
    It's Possible and was hinted at a while ago, they are another crowd who would have a lot of rights issues to deal with aswell, but a lot of broadcasters seem to want some freesat action at the mo.

I agree though, they would be great additions.
    :):) Another reply said watch www.digitalspy.co.uk. forum they seem to keep up to date. while browsing through i came across a thread which said that RTE!! were coming on ftv in about 4 weeks time and are about to start testing. Has anybody in boards heard this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

:)
    :):) Another reply said watch www.digitalspy.co.uk. forum they seem to keep up to date. while browsing through i came across a thread which said that RTE!! were coming on ftv in about 4 weeks time and are about to start testing. Has anybody in boards heard this?

Dont get too excited about that just yet ;)

There's another thread about it here

Five on the other hand should be available FTA shortly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

I have one of those Lidl systems.
    There not bad.
    Only recently i lost BBC News 24. Anyone know how i can get it back ?

Also is ITV 3 + Channel 4 available yet on this system?

Is there a website that lists what you can get and how to tune / re-tune them in ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement