Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

There is a recent thread here about BBC News:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055369342

You probably just need to do a TP (transponder) scan to get it back.

C4 has been available for months, ITV 3 much longer. Again, you probably only need to do a TP scan to get them, you can find the details required here:

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

The manual tells you how to scan individual transponders, but basically to get to the menu, it's something like "Menu" on the remote, then Installation>TP Scan, then select your satellite at the top (Astra 2), then find the TP below that, then scan.

Play around with it, it's difficult to do any damage that can't be rectified, and you'll learn more by mucking about with it, rather than being spoon-fed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

AZTEC818 wrote: »
    I have one of those Lidl systems.
    There not bad.
    Only recently i lost BBC News 24. Anyone know how i can get it back ?

Also is ITV 3 + Channel 4 available yet on this system?

Is there a website that lists what you can get and how to tune / re-tune them in ?
    :) Hi you can go into menu then scroll down to installations, go to TP Scan then TP Freq. enter 110906 smybol 22000 Polarity V for ITV 3 and search. You can repeat this for BBC News but the freq is 11954 Symbol 27500 Pol H. And Chanell 4 which comes in under the name 8350 Fr. 10729, sym 22000 Pol V. I got all this information from my List on my remote control. Hope this works for you. One thing is that at first when I got the Lidl system I had the signal only to 71% and could not bring in BBC News when the weather was bad.

biologikal wrote: »
    There is a recent thread here about BBC News:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055369342

You probably just need to do a TP (transponder) scan to get it back.

C4 has been available for months, ITV 3 much longer. Again, you probably only need to do a TP scan to get them, you can find the details required here:

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

The manual tells you how to scan individual transponders, but basically to get to the menu, it's something like "Menu" on the remote, then Installation>TP Scan, then select your satellite at the top (Astra 2), then find the TP below that, then scan.

Play around with it, it's difficult to do any damage that can't be rectified, and you'll learn more by mucking about with it, rather than being spoon-fed everything.
    Hi biologikal, This enquiry came from Aztec not from Micratoyota I have been learning from Boards.ie since I first got The Lidl 57 dish in April/May this year and thanks to Boards and also the easly understood booklet with the Silvercrest system I understand a lot of what is going on with regarding new channels etc. Thanks again anyway

[ quote=micratoyota;57132075]:) Hi you can go into menu then scroll down to installations, go to TP Scan then TP Freq. enter 110906 smybol 22000 Polarity V for ITV 3 and search. You can repeat this for BBC News but the freq is 11954 Symbol 27500 Pol H. And Chanell 4 which comes in under the name 8350 Fr. 10729, sym 22000 Pol V. I got all this information from my List on my remote control. Hope this works for you. One thing is that at first when I got the Lidl system I had the signal only to 71% and could not bring in BBC News when the weather was bad.[/quote]

Hi the channel frequencies have for Channel 4 (8350) have been changed. Channel 4 and is now named as such and can be found under freq. 10714 H 22000 as are Film 4 Chanell 4+1 can be found under 10729 V 22000 as 8313. You can go to list on remote (2) and move the old channels backwards to a free space and dont forget to save. A very good source of information is www.flysat.com/28east.php Hope this will help you

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

This is back on Sale thisThursday, 11th

Anyone now if you can get Eurosport (non UK) with this dish

• Advertisement

The Fool wrote: »
    This is back on Sale thisThursday, 11th

Anyone now if you can get Eurosport (non UK) with this dish

Yes, with German commentry, from Astra 1, 19E.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Eurosport in german on 19.2 (good for the US Open tennis)
    Astra 1H 12.226 GHz H / 27.5 (German, FTA)

It is also still on Analogue I think
    Astra 1F 11.259 GHz V (analogue, German and English)

I See lidl has another offer on thursday 11/09/08

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080911.p.SilverCrestDigitalHomeSatelliteSystem

Is it a 65 or 80cm dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

scaller wrote: »
    For an Extra 15 euro you will get this http://satworld.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=100

or

For an Extra 20 euro you will get this http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-28201R

Either of these two would be better value than whats on sale in lidl.

Even though the lidl one is 80cm in size as opposed to both of these which are 60cm?

Another question for anyone who may have bought one of these in the past....how heavy/large is the whole package? I'm hoping to pick one up on Thursday but I havent got a car so I'll be carrying it the approx 1.5km home and I'll probably be doing it solo unless i can coerce the boyfriend into coming with me.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Even though the lidl one is 80cm in size as opposed to both of these which are 60cm?

60cm dish size is perfect for picking up signals from Astra 2/ Eurobird satellite
    The lidl dish might be 80cm but either of the other 2 i mentioned would be far stronger in our winds than the lidl dish. Their is no comparison between the lidl dish and any of the other two.

Are the fittings for attaching the lidl one to the wall not the sturdiest?

• Advertisement

The wall fittings are crap and the back bracket of the dish is made from plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

the package is not heavy but it is awkward to carry.
    though there are many comments on the fittings-remember it is intended for a wall definitely not a chimney.
    install over your back door-you will be able to manipulate it better there if you need to.
    it come with a sat finder-which you initially connect between the dish and the connecting cable-you then listen via an earphone for the signal. The signal makes a high pitched sound when it latches on to a satellite. If you read the forums you will realise that finding the signals is the hard part. This sat finder actually works. For €80 it is a great bargain and a great introduction to sat viewing.

For 20 euro more you will get a better setup with stronger brackets and wall mounts.
    not every ones back wall and door are facing south/southeast and the philix kit that power city sell also comes with a satfinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

For 20 euro more you will get a better setup with stronger brackets and wall mounts.
    not every ones back wall and door are facing south/southeast and the philix kit that power city sell also comes with a satfinder.

but not a 80cm one for 20euro more :-(

but not a 80cm one for 20euro more :-(

The 80cm dish lidl sell have a plastic bracket.
    A 60cm is well suited for the Astra2/ Eurobird signal. Its the most common size dish here in Ireland
    If people wanted a 80cm dish any installer would recommend a Triax dish.

The 80cm dish lidl sell have a plastic bracket.

And what's wrong with with that? At least it's not going to rust. The plastic is a very dense plastic, and very thick, it's not going to break, unless you get seriously medieval with it.

For the record, I've had the 80cm dish installed for a year now, and the only times it's moved is when I've loosened the bolts, and moved it myself. The ONLY signs of rust are on the wall bracket, where the teeth of the clamping profile have dug into the bracket, and removed some of the galvanised material, when I've been moving it around. I'd say it will last a very long time before this becomes a weak point in the system.
    A 60cm is well suited for the Astra2/ Eurobird signal. Its the most common size dish here in Ireland
    If people wanted a 80cm dish any installer would recommend a Triax dish.

True, but you can forget about any *reliable* multi-LNB arrangement with a 60cm dish. Also, people in the north-western extremes of the country might have something to say about a 60cm dish and some of the weaker TPs when it's bucketing down, like it has been recently.

biologikal wrote: »
    And what's wrong with with that? At least it's not going to rust. The plastic is a very dense plastic, and very thick, it's not going to break, unless you get seriously medieval with it.

For the record, I've had the 80cm dish installed for a year now, and the only times it's moved is when I've loosened the bolts, and moved it myself. The ONLY signs of rust are on the wall bracket, where the teeth of the clamping profile have dug into the bracket, and removed some of the galvanised material, when I've been moving it around. I'd say it will last a very long time before this becomes a weak point in the system.

True, but you can forget about any *reliable* multi-LNB arrangement with a 60cm dish. Also, people in the north-western extremes of the country might have something to say about a 60cm dish and some of the weaker TPs when it's bucketing down, like it has been recently.

We can discuss the Lidl satellite kit here for years. but any one who sells and installs dishes for a living will tell you that compared to the majority of kits thats available to buy nowadays for around 100euro the Lidl kit is not good value for money. If you want a multi lnb set up buy a triax 80cm dish with multi lnb holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

hardly worth having a row over-the lidl comes with a dual lnb which is handy-The dish is lightweight and very easy to fit and align by yourself. No doubt we will all move on to better gear when we see the possibilities that this kit gives us.

Thanks for all your replies. Think I might chance it...The wall i'm putting it on is fairly sheltered and I shouldnt have to put it too high up judging by what the neighbours have up. Now the only issue is getting out of bed early on thursday morning :pac: Easier said than done!!!

I've noticed that the Lidl kit hasn't been flying off the shelves like it was a year ago, probably because anyone who want's one, probably has one at this stage - you probably won't have a problem getting one.

Also, don't forget that you get a 3-year guarantee with it - I don't know how long you get with other kits, but I'd say it's the standard 1-year.

A sheltered, easily accessible spot is the best place to put it, if it's possible, and will make any maintenance or upgrades much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I already have sky so I have a dish on the house ,can I use this dish with the set up from lidl,
    I want to cancel sky

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

80CM dishes are harder to install for amateurs than 60CM dishes due to a smaller focus point. This is definately a concern for many people...

do u think the existing dish will do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its currently receiving Sky, it will

If you currently have Sky, just cancel it and force the box to think its in the UK = same channels as this kit, no cost.

how can I do that?
    just cancel sky after I install the new lidl thing?

how can I do that?
    just cancel sky after I install the new lidl thing?

Depending on what you want, it might be enough to just cancel Sky, and continue using the Sky box - if you take the card out of the Sky box, and switch the box off/on, you will get to see what channels are currently free to air (FTA).

You won't get RTE/TG4/TV3, and I don't think you'll get C4, unless you manually tune it in. There may be others that are FTA, but not available on the Sky box, plus you can't delete any channels, but you'll still have the EPG. The Lidl box only has now and next programmes available on the EPG (for channels on 28E; some European channels have full EPG available, but not on your regular BBC1, or ITV). Not sure whether you'd get UTV or some other ITV variant.

Sure try it and see if what you get is good enough for you.

You won't get RTE/TG4/TV3 on the Lidl box either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bamjames

is it possible that you can use the lidle system to tune into sky digital after messing with the system for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I am also looking at getting one of the LIDL sets. I only have the 4 terrestrial channels at present, and have no experience of satellite systems. One question on this system..the Lidl product detail has this: "Software update via satellite Astra 19.2° east EPG(electronic programme guide)". It this a big deal if I want to set it to Astra 28? Will I really need software updates, or is there any way to download to PC and update the box.
    A more general query about the cabling in the house...we have a cable from the aerial to a powered unit in the attic which distributes the signal to the TV points in the rooms. Can I combine & connect a satellite cable into this unit so that both aerial and satellite signals come through the existing TV points. I want to avoid another cable from the attic. Also, there is a double TV point in the sittingroom, which I think is something to do with satellite. (the electrician explained it, but there was too much else going on at the time..). This room is not habitable/used yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

bamjames wrote: »
    is it possible that you can use the lidle system to tune into sky digital after messing with the system for a while
    You can use the dish, but not the box. That would have to come from Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

johnb25 wrote: »
    I am also looking at getting one of the LIDL sets. I only have the 4 terrestrial channels at present, and have no experience of satellite systems. One question on this system..the Lidl product detail has this: "Software update via satellite Astra 19.2° east EPG(electronic programme guide)". It this a big deal if I want to set it to Astra 28? Will I really need software updates, or is there any way to download to PC and update the box.
    A more general query about the cabling in the house...we have a cable from the aerial to a powered unit in the attic which distributes the signal to the TV points in the rooms. Can I combine & connect a satellite cable into this unit so that both aerial and satellite signals come through the existing TV points. I want to avoid another cable from the attic. Also, there is a double TV point in the sittingroom, which I think is something to do with satellite. (the electrician explained it, but there was too much else going on at the time..). This room is not habitable/used yet :)
    The box works with Astra 28. Only if you want to update the software, might you want to point it at 19.2. But I think it is possible to do that via a PC alternatively. I've noticed a lot of the channels on my box are not up to date, so that is something I would like to do.

You can combine the terrestrial and sat signals onto one cable, and then split them in the room, where that cable reappears. The thing you need at both ends is called a satellite splitter/combiner. I'm not certain about this bit, but I suspect you can only do this on one cable down-stream of the existing box you have. ie. you can't split satellite signals to multiple rooms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement