Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

There shouldn't be any need to update the software via 19.2E, it's not the same as doing an update on Sky or FreeSat (or Freeview) for example. If you're missing channels, its easiest to find out what TP (transponder) they're on (from flysat.com), and scan the individual TPs, or do an Autoscan from the menus. You can then delete/reorder channels as you feel fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bamjames

i have the system set up, im pointing it at the satellite that has bbc(astra 19.2 i think),but the bbc channels dont show up i have all the other channels just not bbc

anyone know whats wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

If you have all the other channels (ITV, Ch4 and so on), the BBC channels can be found on these frequencies:

10.773, H, 22.0, 5/6

BBC One London
    BBC Two England
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    Cbeebies UK
    BBC Three
    BBC One Northern Ireland

10.788, V, 22.0, 5/6

BBC One West Midlands
    BBC One North West
    BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
    BBC One Yorkshire & North Midlands
    BBC One East Midlands
    BBC One East

10.803, H, 22.0, 5/6

BBC One Wales
    BBC Two Wales
    BBC One Scotland
    BBC Two Scotland
    BBC Two Northern Ireland
    BBC Radio Five Live
    BBC Radio Five Live Sports Extra

10.818, V, 22.0, 5/6

BBC One West
    BBC One South East
    BBC One South
    BBC One South West
    BBC One North East & Cumbria
    BBC One Oxford

10.847 V, 22.0, 5/6

BBC One Cambridge
    BBC One Channel Islands
    BBC HD

11.954, H, 27.5, 2/3

BBC News
    BBC Parliament
    BBC Stream 4 0
    BBC Stream 4 1
    BBC Radio 1
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4 DAB
    BBC Radio 4 LW
    BBC Radio Scotland AM
    BBC Radio Wales FM
    BBC Radio Ulster FM
    BBC Asian Network
    BBC World Service UK
    BBC Radio Cymru
    BBC 1Xtra
    BBC 6 Music
    BBC 7
    BBC Radio nan Gaidheal
    BBC London 94.9 FM

12.441, V, 27.5, 2/3

BBC Stream 3 0
    BBC Stream 3 1
    BBC Stream 3 2
    BBC Stream 3 3
    BBC Stream 3 4
    BBC Stream 3 5
    BBC Stream 3 6

mj

i dont have itv or channel 4 either,
    i have none of the lets say england based channels even tho its at the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

you are pointing at the wrong sat-you should be pointing at Astra 2A, 28.2°E,
    so-try, try again:p

• Advertisement

but my reciever says that it is pointed at that sat!

Astra 19.2 is not where the BBC channels are. What channels are you getting? Chances are that there are loads of German channels, so you will need to move your dish more east (9 degrees), and point it slightly lower.

The reciever isn't clever enough to be able to tell you that it's pointing at any particular satellite - you have to know the receiver well enough to determine where it's pointing; invest a little time, ask some questions, and it'll all become clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

Okay

I got the lidl package a few months ago and set it up fine and got it working - i did notice that in the rain some of the channels stopped working so i go a defunct bigger dish from a friend of mine and hooked the equip up to that put it in place and it worked fine - still not great in the rain but somewhat better - i went back up the ladder yesterday to give it a tweak but now i have lost channels e4,e4+1 , more 4 bbc1 2 and 4 and for the life of me i cannot get em back no matter how much i try to set the dish in the right position . i have done a rescan also and to no joy -

is there a tp setting which is best set at to work off the signal meters- i am also using the earpiece scanner povided with the package .
    regards and any help will be greatly appriciated
    Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

don't suppose anyone knows which chipset is in the latest lidl-silvercrest sl65 unit?

addition to above ****

i've managed to find the bbc channels now by deleting and running a tp scan - i've also done this with the e4 / more 4 channels but they are coming thru broken up - signal int 93% quality 35-60% - for the rest of the channels i am getting the intes is 93% and qual is around 70 and stable .
    tp 10729v for e4/more 4 channels
    channel 4 and more 4 +1 are okay

hope this helps somewhat

oh no wait - more 4 +1 film 4 channel 4 are now also gone

***smashes head against wall*** :)

• Advertisement

addition to above ****

i've managed to find the bbc channels now by deleting and running a tp scan - i've also done this with the e4 / more 4 channels but they are coming thru broken up - signal int 93% quality 35-60% - for the rest of the channels i am getting the intes is 93% and qual is around 70 and stable .
    tp 10729v for e4/more 4 channels
    channel 4 and more 4 +1 are okay

hope this helps somewhat

oh no wait - more 4 +1 film 4 channel 4 are now also gone

***smashes head against wall*** :)

Dish could be slightly out, but also probably a LNB skew issue - as you look at the dish/LNB from the front, you need to rotate the LNB in it's holder clockwise. If you imagine the LNB sitting straight in the holder (cables coming straight down out of the bottom), it's at 12 o'clock; rotate it so that its pointing to halfway between 1 and 2 o'clock for a start, and then tweak until you get the maximum signal QUALITY; you should be able to get all channels stable above 80% with an LNB in the prime focus.

Once you're getting Zone Horror and Film24 (and other Eurobird TPs) with a quality approaching that of BBC1, you're more or less at the best you can get it.

You may also find that pushing the LNB towards the dish (or pulling it back) in the holder may also help.

Chip is *probably* an E1 - only way to find out for sure is to open it up and check against details in wiki for SL65.

TANX

biologikal wrote: »
    Dish could be slightly out, but also probably a LNB skew issue - as you look at the dish/LNB from the front, you need to rotate the LNB in it's holder clockwise. If you imagine the LNB sitting straight in the holder (cables coming straight down out of the bottom), it's at 12 o'clock; rotate it so that its pointing to halfway between 1 and 2 o'clock for a start, and then tweak until you get the maximum signal QUALITY; you should be able to get all channels stable above 80% with an LNB in the prime focus.

Once you're getting Zone Horror and Film24 (and other Eurobird TPs) with a quality approaching that of BBC1, you're more or less at the best you can get it.

You may also find that pushing the LNB towards the dish (or pulling it back) in the holder may also help.

Chip is *probably* an E1 - only way to find out for sure is to open it up and check against details in wiki for SL65.

many thanks for that - will try again tmrw weather permitting and let u know

went up the ladder this eve to get the earpiece off - turned the lnb like u said but didn't chk channels till i got home just now - after midnight - pouring rain and they are all there !!! 77-80% also !! :)

many thanks for the help biologikal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm in the same boat regarding no BBC, etc. I must be obviously on the wrong satelite but that was where the highest frequency sound was on the tester that came with it.

i think the solution to that is to point the receiver to a bbc channel and then "listen", that worked for me.

Astra 19.2 is not where the BBC channels are. What channels are you getting? Chances are that there are loads of German channels, so you will need to move your dish more east (9 degrees), and point it slightly lower.

The reciever isn't clever enough to be able to tell you that it's pointing at any particular satellite - you have to know the receiver well enough to determine where it's pointing; invest a little time, ask some questions, and it'll all become clearer.

Thanks man worked brilliantly,i took the tv and the reciever outside so i could view it from the ladder

Got BBC wales just in time 4 da leinster game and cant wait for the Munster game 2moro

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat regarding no BBC, etc. I must be obviously on the wrong satelite but that was where the highest frequency sound was on the tester that came with it.

Try what was recommended for Dey were Sooted up above; it's a very common mistake to point to 19E instead of 28E.

If you do get a strong signal, you should check the other satellites that are preset in the menus (Astra 19.2, Hotbird 13, Turksat, etc). If you can see channels coming in on any of these when you get a strong signal, it will give you an indication of which way you need to swing your dish to get 28E.

Another option is to use www.dishpointer.com . Select the sat you want to see, zoom in on your house, and it will show you where you need to point to get that satellite.

Ok bioglikal, I have tried moving the dish approx 10 deg more east than the Astra 19 signal that I was receiving but still no signal for the BBC channels. I am getting pissed off with it now and feel like dumping it because all I can get are 100's of German channels that I don't want.
    I must have 30 trips made up and down the ladder doing small adjustments to the dish.
    I can't use that dishpointer thing because there isn't broadband in my area.

before your next visit up the ladder-tune the receiver into the preprogammed bbc on astra 28e
    then "listen"- and toggle the dish-when you hear the high pitched tone it should be ok

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    Ok bioglikal, I have tried moving the dish approx 10 deg more east than the Astra 19 signal that I was receiving but still no signal for the BBC channels. I am getting pissed off with it now and feel like dumping it because all I can get are 100's of German channels that I don't want.
    I must have 30 trips made up and down the ladder doing small adjustments to the dish.
    I can't use that dishpointer thing because there isn't broadband in my area.

Don't give up on it! Once you hit the right spot, it'll be worth it.

In addition to moving it approx 10 degrees east, it also needs to be pointed lower. If you could *see* the satellites in the sky from this part of the world, you would see that they form an arc across the sky (google for "Clarke Belt" if you want to learn more this is a good picture as an example http://www.hasler-electronics.ch/images/mapsat01.jpg), so the satellite at 1W is approximately the highest in the sky, satellites either side (east or west) get lower in the sky as you move further away from due south.

The signal for 28E is very strong, so it's very hard to miss, just keep at it, and when you do find it, put some reference marks on the movable points of the dish/bracket, so if it does move for some reason, that you can find it quickly again. Take care when tightening up the nuts/bolts as well; do them evenly, as it is possible to knock it out of alignment by tightening too vigorously.

I must have been very lucky at finding the satellites when I was first exposed to satellite just over a year ago. I had it set up in a bedroom, upstairs, behind a window, with the dish on a swivel chair, happily swinging it around from 13E to 28E. I think understanding the concepts involved made it easier for me to come to grips with using it quickly.

Another thing to consider would be siting the dish somewhere where it's easily accessable - it makes a big difference (but I know it's not always practical, or desirable, by everyone involved - sometimes it hard to even get clearance to put stuff up in the first place!).

Lo and behold I checked it last night and the BBC channels were on it. I suppose I must have had it set close to the mark and eventually it picked up the signal maybe? Thanks for assistance bioligikal.

Glad to hear you're getting something you want now.

However, you might need to tweak it further to get the best signal possible, give yourself some extra insurance against wind or rain, as they can reduce the signal to the point where it might begin breaking up.

Best way is to select a channel, press the INFO button on the remote (twice, I think), then adjust the dish and LNB to maximise the signal, while watching the QUALITY percentage on the TV. The best channels to test it on are on the Eurobird satellite; I usually use Zone Horror. If I'm getting that in at 75-80%, I'm at about the max possible. Dish can be moved slowly left/right and up/down to get the best possible quality. And don't forget to skew the LNB; rotate it in it's holder to find the best position for it.

Once happy with the positioning, tighten everything up carefully (don't wring the bolts), and recheck the quality.

Good man, I must do that.

i used auto scan so many times that my channel list is full

can i delete channels of my reciever?

also now i think my dish is pointed at astra28E and sirus05 is that possible
    they are much the same channels!all bbc itv but there are a few extra 1s on sirus

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 Yobnned

I bought a second one in Longford just to see if it would be worth pointing to a different satellite, but Astra 28 is best, so I am going to sell it. i only set it up for a couple of hours and decided that it was not worth the hassle. there is loads on 28.1 for the price. Anybody near Longford interested? i have the receipt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You could also buy a twin output lnb with some cable and have BBc etc in another room.

Yobnned wrote: »
    I bought a second one in Longford just to see if it would be worth pointing to a different satellite, but Astra 28 is best, so I am going to sell it. i only set it up for a couple of hours and decided that it was not worth the hassle. there is loads on 28.1 for the price. Anybody near Longford interested? i have the receipt!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    You could also buy a twin output lnb with some cable and have BBc etc in another room.

Lidl LNBs have always been twins, as far as I know, so maybe no need to buy.

Second dish could be used to experiment with different sats, get the odd temp FTA channel, or feed-hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I stand corrected :)
    Lidl LNBs have always been twins, as far as I know, so maybe no need to buy.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Extremely unlikely. There are no BBC/ITV channels on Sirus. If you point the dish at 28E, and scan the Sirus list (or the Hotbird list, or the Turksat list) you will only get the channels on 28E if there is only one LNB on your dish. You could get a freak reflection off a window, but it's still extremely unlikely.

Are you certain there are a few extra on the Sirus list? If yes, if you give the details, or check against the lists at flysat or lyngsat, we will be able to see if they are indeed from Sirus.

You can delete channels no problem. Usually, go to view list (OK on remote), press 5 to edit, enter password (usually 0000), then you can delete one by one, by selecting the channel and pressing 1, or delete all by pressing 6. If all are selected to delete, you can de-select any channels by pressing 1. I usually use this method to trim down a list of the rubbish (more rubbish than good on any sat).

You may have many radio channels listed as well that you don't want, and you can trim those down in a similar manner.

ok il look in greater detail 2nite but i can view bbc from sirus and there are more BBc options ,plus i know it encrypted but scant found setanta sports ireland and its not on astra28E

il look again 2nite
    thanks for the deleting info

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement