Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I think it already has this "external power supply unit and 12V adaptor "

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Wow. How well does this work? I have a spare LNB and would like to pick up Hotbird 13 (maybe Astra 1 later on). Do you combine the the outputs from each LNB at the dish (preferable to having to run a second cable)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

b318isp wrote: »
    Wow. How well does this work? I have a spare LNB and would like to pick up Hotbird 13 (maybe Astra 1 later on). Do you combine the the outputs from each LNB at the dish (preferable to having to run a second cable)...

Works fine with an 80cm dish, any smaller, not so good. I have mine with the dish looking directly at 19E, then two more LNBs either side looking at 13E and 28E. I've only seen a few channels go down during torrential rain (last Sat in Dublin) or hailstones (mainly more obscure ones on 13E IIRC). All 3 outputs from the LNBs can go to a DiSEqC switch behind the dish, which then output to one cable to feed the receiver.

If you're doing it, do it all at once, get yourself 2 more LNBs, some kind of bracket to hold them all together, and a 4-way DiSEqC switch. It's mightn't work as well if you were to look directly at 28E, and hang another to look at 13E. Instead, point somewhere in between (19E), and get the other two either side.

You can always get another dish later on for filling the 4th input on the DiSEqC, and experimenting with what else is available by moving it about manually.

Tried to upgrade the firmware on the SL65 today via RS232 port.
    Seemed to be going ok but its now bricked I'd say.
    It powers on but only half the last Led digit is on.Black screen,nothing happening.
    Fecking idiot I am ,I was initially only going to edit the channel listing but then I got a mad urge to flash it.
    I used the firmware here http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=51&av=2
    This box is very fussy with flashing,I've flashed lots of other boxes in the past and never had a problem.

Did you backup the original firmware before flashing? If you did, it might be easy enough to get it back on. Sometimes it seems like the box is dead, you may get something like "test serial status" on the loader, and if you power OFF/ON, it might be able to load.

The box isn't really fussy. The problem is that there are several SL65s with different chips inside, and maybe you tried flashing incorrect firmware to the box for your particular chip. There's a wiki helping you ID what chip is inside, but you'll need to open it to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think its dead allright.
    It just hangs at 'test serial status' for ages.
    I checked the chipset before I flashed it ,its the newest one E1.
    Looks like I'd going to have to Jtag it ,will have to get my hands on a cable or make one.
    I didnt backup the firmware before I flashed it but I have since found a compatible firmware image.
    Will post my findings later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You use a diseq switch

b318isp wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

I want to run 3 satellite signals to 3 STB's.
    I want each tv to be able to watch any channel regardless of what is on the other tv.

Will the follwoing options work ?

Option 1.
    Use 3 quad lnb's & 3 diseq swtiches.
    Run a cable from each lnb to the first diseq switch and run the o/p of the diseq switch to first STB.
    Run another cable from the o/p's of the lnb's to the second diseq switch and run the o/p of the diseq switch to second STB.
    Run another cable from the o/p's of the lnb's to the third diseq switch and run the o/p of the diseq switch to third STB.

Option 2
    Use 3 quad lnb's and 1 multiswitch
    Run all cables from the lnb's to the i/p's of the multiswitch.
    Run the o/p's of the multiswitch's to each of the STB's.
    From reading about the multiswitches the i/p's appear to be grouped together, a quad lnb is assigned 4 i/ps even if I am only using 3.
    So this would mean that I would need a multiswitch with at least 12 i/p's.

What is the best way to do this ?

Has anyone used any of the options above ?

Option 1 appears to be the cheaper option as the multiswitches appear to be expensive.

Can you get a diseq switch that will combine the terestrial signal aswell ?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Biod

I've seen ye are all talking about the Lidl SL65 Receiver. Sorry to butt in , BUT ......
    Does anyone know how to add new satellites after setting up a motor on this system. I'm tracking all preset satellites perfectly, signal is averaging 78% on them all! When I press "2.Add" in the Antenna Set-Up Menu I can create a name for a satellite but I can't find where to input the longitude of the desired satellite. When I click on the USALS field it shows the satellite name I've entered with "(0.0E)" beside it. HELP!!! It's doing my head in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Option 1 should be quite a bit cheaper as option 2 ideally requires 3X quattro LNBFs and a 12/13 input X 4/5 output multiswitch - some selected models will work with quads too.

I've not seen a Diseqc switch that can diplex a terrestrial signal. I guess you could just connect a diplexer after the Diseqc output to combine the aerial signal and again near the TV/receiver to resplit the sat and terrestrial signals - assuming the diplexer doesn't interfere with the Diseqc pulses.

http://www.emp-centauri.cz/products.php?menuId=13&nazev=P.164-TW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

biologikal wrote: »
    If you're doing it, do it all at once, get yourself 2 more LNBs, some kind of bracket to hold them all together, and a 4-way DiSEqC switch. It's mightn't work as well if you were to look directly at 28E, and hang another to look at 13E. Instead, point somewhere in between (19E), and get the other two either side.

Would it not be better to just motorise the dish? Any visible satellite could then be picked up in optimum quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Biod wrote: »
    I've seen ye are all talking about the Lidl SL65 Receiver. Sorry to butt in , BUT ......
    Does anyone know how to add new satellites after setting up a motor on this system. I'm tracking all preset satellites perfectly, signal is averaging 78% on them all! When I press "2.Add" in the Antenna Set-Up Menu I can create a name for a satellite but I can't find where to input the longitude of the desired satellite. When I click on the USALS field it shows the satellite name I've entered with "(0.0E)" beside it. HELP!!! It's doing my head in!!

Posted a fix to this last year but cannot find it...

The firmware does not allow you input a satellite longitude. If you want to add a new satellite use diseqc instead. You should first go to the nearest existing sat and then add, select positioner then diseqc and then move left or right till u hit it. Remember to select a position number and save it.

The other way is to use the editor to add in your satellites, as it allows you to enter a satellite longitude. You will lose all of your favourites though, unless you backup and then reapply your user settings. Be careful and use the correct editor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭photo_gaa

Hi
    where is the BBCI on this system, I can only find BBC 1, 2, 3 etc....

i cant see the snooker

thanks
    m

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

photo_gaa wrote: »
    Hi
    where is the BBCI on this system, I can only find BBC 1, 2, 3 etc....

i cant see the snooker

thanks
    m
    Have you scanned the frequency mentioned in the other thread?

12441 Vertical 27.500

On my Technomate, the channels are listed as "STREAM-0" up to "STREAM-6"

byte wrote: »
    Have you scanned the frequency mentioned in the other thread?

12441 Vertical 27.500

On my Technomate, the channels are listed as "STREAM-0" up to "STREAM-6"
    hi
    what dores this mean:-

12441 Vertical 27.500

and

STREAM-0" up to "STREAM-6

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's the frequency you need to scan on your satellite receiver. I'm not familiar with menu system in a Silvercrest box, but maybe somebody here can give you point by point walkthrough on what to do.

STREAM-x is the channel Idents/names.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

What that frequency brings in id streams 0 to 6 (BBC) which is the equivalent of pressing RED on sky or Freeview to get programmes such as live snooker or if 2 matches are on at once and bbc are only showing 1, then you will probably see the other on one of these streams-they are quite usefull to have when Darts, Snooker are on, or soccer updates on saturday...I wouldnt be without them...they dont always have something on, but when the do it is well worthwhile...enjoy:)

muincav wrote: »
    What that frequency brings in id streams 0 to 6 (BBC) which is the equivalent of pressing RED on sky or Freeview to get programmes such as live snooker or if 2 matches are on at once and bbc are only showing 1, then you will probably see the other on one of these streams-they are quite usefull to have when Darts, Snooker are on, or soccer updates on saturday...I wouldnt be without them...they dont always have something on, but when the do it is well worthwhile...enjoy:)
    i did a scan of all stations, cant find bbc 1

ASTER satellite 19.4E (i think its on)

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

You should be 28.2-and this link will give you freqs for all BBC regions
    http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

muincav wrote: »
    You should be 28.2-and this link will give you freqs for all BBC regions
    http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

to get 28.2 can you scan it, or do you have to move the dish on the wall?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

photo_gaa wrote: »
    to get 28.2 can you scan it, or do you have to move the dish on the wall?

As Byte says, providing you're still getting BBC 1 etc. coming in clear, you're on the right satellite, so in order to recieve the BBCi's......

....go into

-->Menu
    --->Installation
    ---->Auto Scan

Choose the satellite = Astra 28.2E, scan mode = free and then select search.

Give that a few minutes to finish and look through you're channel list and you will find some channels called STREAM-0, STREAM-1 etc.

They are the feeds with the live snooker etc.

Happy viewing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Biod

Puggy wrote: »
    Posted a fix to this last year but cannot find it...

The firmware does not allow you input a satellite longitude. If you want to add a new satellite use diseqc instead. You should first go to the nearest existing sat and then add, select positioner then diseqc and then move left or right till u hit it. Remember to select a position number and save it.

The other way is to use the editor to add in your satellites, as it allows you to enter a satellite longitude. You will lose all of your favourites though, unless you backup and then reapply your user settings. Be careful and use the correct editor...
    Puggy, where/how do I get the channel editor? I had guessed on doing it the DiSEqC way instead, but to be honest after setting up the motor to work perfectly, I want to be able to use USALS. Does using the channel editor mean it will fix the receiver or just that I have to use it everytime I want to add a satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    thanks bio, i rang my brother to do that and it sounds like he followed your instructions perfectly. he only came across scrambled channels like e4 and more 4 but no FTA C4. maybe its gone again or our satellite reception isnt good enough, i dont know.

turns out he thought i said A350 instead of 8350 over the phone! :rolleyes: dumbass!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Biod wrote: »
    Puggy, where/how do I get the channel editor? I had guessed on doing it the DiSEqC way instead, but to be honest after setting up the motor to work perfectly, I want to be able to use USALS. Does using the channel editor mean it will fix the receiver or just that I have to use it everytime I want to add a satellite?

You can use usals for all existing satellites, and use Diseqc for new ones if you want.

I need to find the editor. Its specific to the chip set of the box. There is one also on the comag or silvercrest web-site. Give me a day or two to find it all again.

You cannot use the editor in isolation though. You will need to use a bin loader to save your settings to and from the box. The editor "save" functionality is problematic. I'll PM in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have set up the lidl camping system tonight. I have a good quality signal on Astra 28.2. When I search for the channels I am only getting the german ones???

What am i doing wrong?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brianmcs

can anyone help !!!!
    I purchased the Lidl satellite kit yesterday.
    - All is connected and I'm getting "no signal".
    - "signal intensity" = 80%
    - "signal quality" = 14%.
    What am I doing Wrong ? :confused:
    I disconnected the dish from the Lidl Receiver.
    - "Signal intensity" = 0%
    - "Signal Quality" = 14%
    - What is this telling me?
    - Is there a faulty LNB?
    - Is there a faulty cable?
    Have now connected the Lidl receiver to the House Sky Dish
    - Have now connected the Lidl satellite receiver to the house Sky Dish and picked up all
    the Astra 28.2 channels.
    - Excellent Quality Picture.
    - "Signal quality" is far superior.
    - We now know the Lidl Receiver is working
    - Living in Kildare, Would that make a difference?
    - The Lidl Dish is much smaller than the SKY dish.
    - Does Size matter? :p
    - Haven't lost me sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

*Kol* wrote: »
    I have set up the lidl camping system tonight. I have a good quality signal on Astra 28.2. When I search for the channels I am only getting the german ones???

What am i doing wrong?:confused:
    Pointing at Astra1 19E and not at Astra2 28E.
    Probably the most common issue for people new to FTA satellite receivers. Plenty of discussion on it in this thread.
    Go back a few pages and all will be revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Exactly correct! I was on 19E. Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Thanks to biologikal's post I was able to get Channel 4 working on my free SAT from Lidl's but now the audio isn't working on transponder 10729 at channel 8350. It worked great for about a week, but the audio went last night, initially I thought it might have been a problem with Ch4, but it's still out today and all of the other channels seem to be fine, I suspect it might be intentional. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and is there any possible work around?

It's the same for us all, no workaround unfortunately. If you want to keep abreast with the Ch 4/Freesat stuff, have a look at the digitalspy forum on freesat:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142

News will eventually arrive on boards.ie, but most likely to be posted there first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

As mentioned on the Ch4 FTA thread, looks like someone unplugged the uplink audio cable:(
    Bozacke wrote: »
    Thanks to biologikal's post I was able to get Channel 4 working on my free SAT from Lidl's but now the audio isn't working on transponder 10729 at channel 8350. It worked great for about a week, but the audio went last night, initially I thought it might have been a problem with Ch4, but it's still out today and all of the other channels seem to be fine, I suspect it might be intentional. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and is there any possible work around?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement