Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK week 8

Options
  • 20-05-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Feck! I thought he had fired James and was think he sound very like Ben with that apology(half working here).

Ben is gone!

Should he have fired Ben? 32 votes

Ben (He was right)
    0% 0 votes
    James (How did he get past yet again?)
    43% 14 votes
    Debra (what she stilling doing there?)
    6% 2 votes
    Yasmina (Very lucky to have Ben and Debra with her on the lossing team)
    43% 14 votes
    The other team
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

He was absolutely, completely right to fire Little Mr. Sandhurst. He was overblown, arrogant windbag - even by the standards of The Apprentice!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

He deserved to go simply for using the phrase "raw acumen" to describe himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He was a little sh1ght! but he was entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I'm so relieved with that choice. It really sounded like he was going to fire James towards the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Yeah, I thought the decision came a bit from leftfield alright.............but most people won't be sorry to see him gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

How to become fluent in Ben-speak: simply replace every fifth word with "Sandhurst" and every other fifth word with "graft". It got a bit monotonous near the end! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

For the first time this whole series I was actually glad Debra survived the boardroom. Her and James both defended themselves well, Ben just blabbed on about how great he was. That's why he was fired. Still, neither James nor Debra are going to win anyway so he might aswell have just fired the three of them.

BTW who voted that Yasmina should have been fired? :confused: She's the only one on that team who actually stands a chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I voted for Debra 'cos I can't feckin' stand her. Efficient she may be but she's not a team player. She's cold and stubborn and she doesn't listen. Ben is a waste of space at times but he doesn't bother me as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

BTW who voted that Yasmina should have been fired? :confused: She's the only one on that team who actually stands a chance of winning.

True but she doesn't really do very much, she just happens to be on a team with Debra and James.

I didn't vote for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'd like to see a good head to head with Yasmina and Debra. That'd be great:) a good auld scrap!!! I think Yasmina is a good contender but I'd prefer Kate. She's a warmer person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Thought James or Debra were gunna be up for the chop, didnt see the Ben thing coming tbh! ah he was the only half decent looking lad there :D

really cant believe debra is still there!! thought he hated her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Elmo wrote: »
    True but she doesn't really do very much, she just happens to be on a team with Debra and James.
    I don't think it's a matter of her not doing much. I'd say they just showed less of her tonight because she wasn't going to be in the firing line.
    Similar story with Howard - they never focus attention on him because he never looks like the person who'll be fired.
    They show slightly more of Kate because at the moment she's the most likely to win.
    James, Debra and Lorraine are the remaining candidates most likely to screw up or cause conflict and so the spotlight shines mostly on them.
    Ann22 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a good head to head with Yasmina and Debra. That'd be great:) a good auld scrap!!! I think Yasmina is a good contender but I'd prefer Kate. She's a warmer person.
    Yes, Kate is warmer than Yasmina, and that's the reason I prefer Yasmina! :D

Next week looks like fun.
    Lorraine + new products + live TV = Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I didn't want any of the 3 in the Boardroom to be fired last night, particularly Ben. Mainly because I wanted to see him in the interview episode, he'd be torn to shreds!
    But having said that, Sugar was right to fire him as he seemed pretty much out of his depth.

Anybody notice the strange editing when he got fired?

When Sugar was doing his final spiel and he mentioned about the light going out, you could see Ben shaking his head which I thought was strange as he didn't mention anybody's name up until then. But on the "You're Fired" show when they replayed the scene Sugar says "the light has gone out Ben" and then you see him shaking his head and then Sugar tells him he's fired.

Looking forward to the Telesales next week, it's normally car crash tv. Remember your man last year (or the year before) with the Trampoline! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody notice the strange editing when he got fired?

When Sugar was doing his final spiel and he mentioned about the light going out, you could see Ben shaking his head which I thought was strange as he didn't mention anybody's name up until then. But on the "You're Fired" show when they replayed the scene Sugar says "the light has gone out Ben" and then you see him shaking his head and then Sugar tells him he's fired.

Ben knew he was talking about him to because a few moments earlier, when summing up each of the three candidates, Alan said that along the way he thought Ben showed potential and thought there was light at the end of the tunnel. When he said the light had gone out, Ben knew he was talking about him.

While I hated Ben and thought he was completely vile, I think Debra should have been fired last night. She pushed the rocking horse idea and didn't leave them with any other option. The risk didn't pay off. She's not a likeable person at all, doesn't listen to anyone else's ideas. I thought she should have been fired last week too. She didn't contribute anything to the task, and she was PM.

James might be a dark horse. He seems ridiculous and comes across as a bit silly and foolish but I think he had some good ideas and is a good leader. If only he could keep his mouth shut!

luvlylady wrote: »
    Ben knew he was talking about him to because a few moments earlier, when summing up each of the three candidates, Alan said that along the way he thought Ben showed potential and thought there was light at the end of the tunnel. When he said the light had gone out, Ben knew he was talking about him.
    Ah that makes sense now. I was fairly tired watching it last night.

While I hated Ben and thought he was completely vile, I think Debra should have been fired last night. She pushed the rocking horse idea and didn't leave them with any other option. The risk didn't pay off. She's not a likeable person at all, doesn't listen to anyone else's ideas. I thought she should have been fired last week too. She didn't contribute anything to the task, and she was PM.
    Actually James was. You must've been tired too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭unichick

Really thought Debra would get the bullet last night. Not sorry to see Ben go either. Even in the programme afterwards he came across as an arrogant ass and the audience and panel said he was the right person to go. James is so funny. I'd love to see him win but more likely be colgate girl Kate. What more does Debra have to do to be fired? Nick and Margaret can't stand her and she doesn't even make good tv! Maybe it's cos she's a fellow cockney and Alan sees something in her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

At least Ben can now feck off to Sandhurst.

Apparently he might

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭unichick

He said the scholarship is available until 2011. 1 years education and 3 years in the army. Might make him a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Remember your man last year (or the year before) with the Trampoline! :D

ahah, one of the funniest things i've seen today, what a muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Actually James was. You must've been tired too. ;)

I was talking about last week, read the preceding sentence. Still tired? ;)

I was talking about last week, read the preceding sentence. Still tired? ;)
    Ha. Obviously so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I totally expected Debra to go; Nick and Margaret's dislike of her, coupled with Margaret's stated affection for her fellow Nordie meant that I thought Ben would survive. Based on the task, he wasn't the worst, but he made the fatal flaw in the boardroom of relying on rhetoric and cliché and not defending himself like the other two did. Interesting that we are left with 4 girls and 2 guys, although it was obvious from early on that the girls were stronger, I think the show usually ends up with a balance of the sexes til the final.

I too expect Lorraine to flop next week based on the subject matter, and her abject failure to operate the buggy until a Joe Soap showed her. Howard must be due a PM, as he hasn't been one since Week 1 and the washing task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Has everyone seen James's description of being PM?

It was on YF last night, and I literally didn't hear anything past the first sentence because I was laughing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I have to say for a lad of 22 he looked about 32 and was more cock sure of himself than Sir Alan is about himself :eek:

He tried to play down the "immaturity" on YF last night but sorry that didnt wash, the lad wasnt very good really and made an arse of himself each week by trying to talk himself up or act like some sort of big shot, major issues there. Trainee stockbroker, Id say the emphasis is on the word trainee, was probably making the tea or doing the mail drop :rolleyes:

WTF was going on with his Gordon Gecco suits FFS? Who wears them, seriously?

Debra is a weapon it has to be said, James is not very articulate but is hanging in there, the interviews will flush him out if he doesnt go next week.

If I had to put my money down now it will be between Yasmeena and Kate in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

I agree. They are definitely the two strongest.

The last show was great. I am convinced that as part of the process, that BBC give them some sort of counselling when they get fired. Lots of them have appeared as complete prats with no clue on the show, and then like Ben the other night, have been very self effacing and humble on the YF show - it feels very PR-handled if you know what I mean!

I thought that Debra was for the chop for sure. By rights she should have been fired. SAS definitely overplayed the /thumbs out/ "not your greatest fans" line - it was funny the first time, but not the 3rd. She pushed the horse idea and it flopped, so the failure of the task was down to her, plus she hasn't excelled at anything for a long time. Horrible person, but as someone pointed out, she'll be great TV in the interview round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AJ2012

Have to agree with Sizzler above. I'd be very surprised if it's not Yasmeena and Kate in the final. Think either would be a worthy winner, but my money is on Yasmenna. Really looking forward to the QVC episode next week - it has been a highlight the two times it has previously featured.

Advertisement