Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old N8/R639 closed near Horse and Jockey due to "very large" fire

Options
  • 20-05-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about this? I can't think of too many buildings - apart from Germinal Ireland and the Horse and Jockey hotel - that would result in a blaze of the size reported.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

it cant hav been 2 serious. i didnt here anything and i live only c. 10km away so if it was serious someone wud have heard.

ill ask one of the local gossips tomorrow and let u kno if i here anything

just on the radio.

a garage near the H&J hotel exploded.fire out, no one infured, road cordened (sp?) off till tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks for that danny. I think I know the one. It must've been some bang!

Furet wrote: »
    Thanks for that danny. I think I know the one. It must've been some bang!

no prob.

any idea why wud they keep the road closed till morning?

Probably because they can now. If the M8 wasn't there they'd hardly have it closed that long.

Actually, come to think of it, back in pre-M8 days if an incident occurred on the N8 between Cashel and Urlingford and the road had to be closed, what was the alternative route to Dublin?

Similarly between Mitchelstown and Fermoy: where does diverted traffic go? I remember in 2007 there was an accident involving four articulated lorries close to the Corbett Court at some ungodly hour (one fatality), and the road was closed all day. Where did they send all the traffic?

• Advertisement

Actually, come to think of it, back in pre-M8 days if an incident occurred on the N8 between Cashel and Urlingford and the road had to be closed, what was the alternative route to Dublin?

well around urlingford (dont know bout the rest) traffic was sent up through the back ass of no where along L and R roads till it came to Mary Willies pub.

Actually now that i think of it, bout 2 yrs back, the ex N8 was closed due to a crash or something so to gt to thurles u were sent back roads. But they had 2 diversions, one for traffic going sth bound and one going nth bound. the back roads were effectively turned into one way streets

Figured as much. How is Urlingford anyway since it was bypassed? Josephine's will stay open after all I'd say. The busses still stop off in large numbers, don't they?

the shops in town (Centra etc) are busier apparently, prob cause people have somewhere to park now.

the garages and fast food places were all expecting armageddon. as far as i can tell, they are all a bit quieter but not much. one of the fast food places has reduced its opening hours but that's not such a bad thing.

town itself is still horrible tho!!:pac:

I don't think Kilcoran Lodge has suffered too much either to be honest, and I'd say the Corbett Court will survive too.
    The reality is that the tiresome ministerial refrain about giving towns back to their people is true - I bet Urlingford is a more pleasant place than it was, and this in turn generates more custom. They still need to tear down that god-awful shell of a building on the outskirts of the town though - my impression when approaching from the south was always that I was entering Stalingrad or a poor area of Minsk circa 1994.

I bet Urlingford is a more pleasant place than it was
    hmmmmmm.......no
    ha Urlingford will never be a pleasent place, ever!!
    They still need to tear down that god-awful shell of a building on the outskirts of the town though - my impression when approaching from the south was always that I was entering Stalingrad or a poor area of Minsk circa 1994.

ye they do it really is an eye-sore, jus makes the place seem worse!! and i still have no idea what the hell happened with it either, tis a mystery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

A big pile of tyres right beside the N6 in Galway City was set on fire a couple of years ago by a few kids. The smoke coming out onto the road was so thick it caused one serious and one minor accident - you couldn't see 2 metres in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandygall

Firefighters are battling a major blaze at a car sales room in
    Tipperary.

A hotel and homes near the premises have been evacuated and the old N8
    Dublin to Cork road has been closed to traffic. Motorists are warned to
    avoid the area if possible.

The fire broke out in the service area of John O'Keefe Motors, a used
    car garage, on Wednesday evening. Gardai said residents in the Horse and
    Jockey Hotel and nearby properties were evacuated as a precaution amid
    fears flames could spread to oil tanks and other flammable materials on
    site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

How very unsuspicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Ste.phen wrote: »

Speculation! :mad:

Could just as easily be an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ste.phen wrote: »

:D Was thinking the same thing myself.

How may car dealers around the country have spent a lot of money in the last few years building fancy new showrooms and are now sitting with a lot of stock on their forecourts that they can't shift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 popmart

Probably because they can now. If the M8 wasn't there they'd hardly have it closed that long.

Similarly between Mitchelstown and Fermoy: where does diverted traffic go? I remember in 2007 there was an accident involving four articulated lorries close to the Corbett Court at some ungodly hour (one fatality), and the road was closed all day. Where did they send all the traffic?

I was travelling upto work the morning of that crash.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lorry-driver-killed-three-hurt-in-fivetruck-pileup-701957.html

The traffic was diverted through Kilworth, Ballyporeen, Clogheen, Ardfinnan and into Cahir.

I'm certain the section of crash barrier that the truck driver crashed into was never repaired.

Ah, so they made use of the medieval-18th century route.

And yes, that crash barrier is still damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Anglo Upah

serfboard wrote: »
    :D Was thinking the same thing myself.

How may car dealers around the country have spent a lot of money in the last few years building fancy new showrooms and are now sitting with a lot of stock on their forecourts that they can't shift?

These kind of comments are disgraceful. It was not the showroom that went up, it was the maintenance area. The owner has built up a big business in the Horse & Jockey and employs a lot of local people, and would not stoop to such low acts as arson as is being incenuated in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandygall

I know nothing about this garrage, but in fairness It aint fancy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anglo Upah wrote: »
    These kind of comments are disgraceful. It was not the showroom that went up, it was the maintenance area. The owner has built up a big business in the Horse & Jockey and employs a lot of local people, and would not stoop to such low acts as arson as is being incenuated in this thread.

Exactly. And is a very repuatable family business at that. I hope there was not too much damage and they can get up and running very quickly and get people back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Actually we were sent down a side road towards Fermoy town. :mad:

I hadnt got a clue as Id only ever driven the main road and did get lost. Ended up getting back to dublin after 1 a.m. A trucker I think it was that was killed that night.

Advertisement