Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Garlic - when?

Options
  • 20-05-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm the proud owner of a small raised bed. I have lettuce, spinach, potatoes, leeks (tiny seedlings), cucumbers, onions & garlic. Sounds great when I read that list!

Regarding the garlic, as it's my first time to grow it, when can I harvest it? I planted it before the heavy frosts in late January . . . . I read somewhere that garlic needs frost to get it started.

When will it be ready to pick?:confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Fishy1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Allow the flower heads to develop but not to split open - once they have developed, cut them off - one per plant. The plant will start to die back after flowering and the necks of the garlic - the first 4 inches above the soil will start to dry and go straw like. At this point you can lift the bulbs and hang them out of the weather to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Thanks for that Minder. No flower heads on the garlic yet. I presume that will happen later in the "summer".

Advertisement