Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rough shooting

Options
  • 20-05-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

well, I dont really come from a shooting backround, my da has 2 shotguns and we would go out the odd day shooting rabbits etc, but my friends are realy into their shooting and they have got me really into shooting. When Im older I want to release pheasants and do some rough shooitng, can anyone give me any pointers as to best type of woodland to have a release pen in, best ground to shoot them over, best tactics etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Hi East Tyrone,

Im from that area myself and I use this little book which has been a great help.

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

EastTyrone wrote: »
    When Im older I want to release pheasants and do some rough shooitng, can anyone give me any pointers as to best type of woodland to have a release pen in, best ground to shoot them over, best tactics etc?

That's great to hear, we need more people like you.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

mallards wrote: »
    Hi East Tyrone,

Im from that area myself and I use this little book which has been a great help.

Mallards.

cool, thanks mallards, what type of land do you shoot over?

Rough pasture, rushy fields, bog, small clumps of trees, mountainy ground, overgrown streams. A bit of everything. You can get all sorts of game on it.
    How about yourself, are you near the lough?

Mallards

Rough pasture, rushy fields, bog, small clumps of trees, mountainy ground, overgrown streams. A bit of everything. You can get all sorts of game on it.
    How about yourself, are you near the lough?

Mallards

naw im in the mountains lol what do ye mean rough pasture, like overgrown fields? aye i'd have that same stuf, and loads of moss covered mountains, I actualy think i've to much land like proper bogland lol aye i got woodcock and snip i know for certain

• Advertisement

Rough pasture is small fields grazed by sheep or cattle. Mostly grass but plenty off weeds and rush in it. If your way up in the sperrins and the bog is dry, partridges do pretty good there. I released some on ground like that and they did well. Pain in the back side carrying food and water out onto the release site but.

Mallards

Rough pasture is small fields grazed by sheep or cattle. Mostly grass but plenty off weeds and rush in it. If your way up in the sperrins and the bog is dry, partridges do pretty good there. I released some on ground like that and they did well. Pain in the back side carrying food and water out onto the release site but.

Mallards
    aye im at the foot of the sperrins lol I don't know much about partridges here, i know about the woodcock and snipe cause I've seen them lol, have you ever shot in kildress?

No but Im not too far away in Pomeroy.
    My ground looks mostly like this, ignore the dog in the way!

IMG_0240.jpg

Mallards

No but Im not too far away in Pomeroy.
    My ground looks mostly like this, ignore the dog in the way!

IMG_0240.jpg

Mallards

thats exactly what my ground looks like, lol

Witha bit of planning and do a little bit every year you will soon have a great shoot with a variety of game on it. Like I said at the start, if you get a great book and follow its advice you won't go far wrong.

Mallards

• Advertisement

Witha bit of planning and do a little bit every year you will soon have a great shoot with a variety of game on it. Like I said at the start, if you get a great book and follow its advice you won't go far wrong.

Mallards

lol i hope you're right, was that pic taken out towards rockwell?

Advertisement