Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another TF2 Free Weekend

Options
  • 20-05-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you without a copy (seriously?) there is to be yet another Free Weekend starting Tomorrow and ending Sunday/Early Monday to celebrate the release of new content for both the Sniper and the Spy. Preload now! Or buy. Cos I mean, what have you been waiting for? 20 euro? Pfft. Its a steal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/

http://www.teamfortress.com/sniper_vs_spy/

Heads up: turns out its 50% off this weekend as well. You could buy your own can of awesome for just a tenner. Thats less than 2 pints!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its rubbish - they'd do anything to shift it.

Css/hl or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

It's rubbish???

It's the best ****ing game evar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

TFC > TF2 !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wish they'd hurry up and release some of those multiple updates on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

they would have already but are having trouble fitting it all under the 360s memory limitation.

youd have to be sad not to own TF2 for the asking 20 euros.

• Advertisement

Valve don't like consoles.

Especially PS3 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Valve don't like consoles.

Especially PS3 tbh
    Agreed, I have it on the PS3.

It sucks ass.

I also have it on the PC (the whole orange box 8)) and it is.. The best game evarz.

What's your steam id?

CutzEr wrote: »
    Agreed, I have it on the PS3.

It sucks ass.

I also have it on the PC (the whole orange box 8)) and it is.. The best game evarz.

What's your steam id?

It's above the WipEout avatar up there.
    |\
    | \
    | \

Giggsy664. I also have killing floor.

Looks like its on sale 2, for less than the cost of 2 pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

enjoying playing left4dead atm but getting a good friend only game only happens a few times a week, the whole pub gaming on it is boring.

Havnt played TF2 yet, am i too late? Many still playing? Would love to give it a try. Also many Irish playing?

Whats the learning curve like?

21 questions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Havnt played TF2 yet, am i too late? Many still playing? Would love to give it a try. Also many Irish playing?
    Whats the learning curve like?
    21 questions :D
    1. no
    2. Yes, lots
    3. Yes ,lots
    4. Not too steep at all. A bit strange at first but easy to get the hang of.

1. no
    2. Yes, lots
    3. Yes ,lots
    4. Not too steep at all. A bit strange at first but easy to get the hang of.

I second this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the updates a load of balls.

items are now randomly unlocked instead of unlocked through acheivements

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Have to agree with the poster above - they removed the link between achievements and unlocks so its completely random now. Some people are getting loads of the new weapons others have none so far or dupes of existing weapons. Whoever in Valve thought this was a good idea needs a kick in the head.

the updates a load of balls.

items are now randomly unlocked instead of unlocked through acheivements

I second this

I was surprised by it too. Robin Walker has been back on to say the system atm is glitched. But theyre working on it. A full explanation is here:

we wanted to take a moment to talk about the new item drop system in the update, since we're getting a lot of questions about it.

Why did we build a new system?

* With our first four class updates we were tying the new weapons for each class to a set of achievements. Our intention was to make a set of achievements that eventually all players would get, and would be fun to get along the way. In some cases we did a good job at this (Scout), and in some cases we did a bad one (Medic). Across all of the class packs we were disappointed in the number of people that got to play with the new weapons, and feedback from the community was generally not favorable with this approach.

What did we do?

* For the last number of months we've been working on using the Steam Cloud to store a player's inventory. With that finally in place, we were able to deploy a new system focused on the giving of items to players. That new system watches the amount of time that players are playing TF2, and gives them a chance to find items at regular intervals. They aren't guaranteed to get the item at those points, but they have a pretty good chance. We based the system on granting items on the amount of time played because we don't want players to have to do weird things like join achievement grinding servers to get new content. Basing it off time also has the benefit of ensuring that if you play a lot of TF2, you're going to get more items than players who don't.

How long do I have to play to get an item?

* When we were tuning this system we first looked at the average amount of time that players spend playing TF2 daily. From there, we set the goal of most players having around 20 items in their inventory after a couple of weeks of play. If you're someone who plays a lot of TF2, you're going to get items a lot faster than that. In the first few hours after the release yesterday, we had some issues that prevented the system from working properly, so that timeframe was not indicative of the system as it's designed.

Is this the way we'll find items from now on?

* Like everything else we build, we'll be iterating on this system for a while, and have a lot of features planned. Some of the next things we have planned are:

- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

- Giving players a method to influence the system so they can work directly toward getting specific items.

- Adding more rare items like the hats.

We're going to be working on and rolling these out while we're also working on the next class pack, with the goal being to get it all released before then.

TF2 has become an RPG. People were saying it, I didn't think it was true.

But this is reality. I don't want an RPG Valve. I want my TF2 back :(

Its not really. Only in how you change your weapons. The day to day play of the game remains largely unchanged despite a few new toys.

And this new Pipeline map is Awesome.

Overheal wrote: »
    Its not really. Only in how you change your weapons. The day to day play of the game remains largely unchanged despite a few new toys.

And this new Pipeline map is Awesome.
    Agreeed, Pipeline is the most awshumz map yet.

CutzEr wrote: »
    TF2 has become an RPG. People were saying it, I didn't think it was true.

But this is reality. I don't want an RPG Valve. I want my TF2 back :(

I secon.... You get the point.

• Advertisement

When I go the game ~5 weeks ago, I jumped straight into Portal and then TF2. I noticed people had different weapons (ie. natascha, flaregun) and I wanted to get these, so I went onto an achievemnt server regularly. I did this because I thought they got a head start on me. With the Sniper Spy update, I decided I was going to play fair and unlock them properly, but then Valve give me another Flare Gun and I'm like WTF? I said people were finding stuff.

Afaik you can still unlock them via achievements. I saw someone complete Pyro 3 and get the Axtinguisher.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I guess you can still unlock the Medic, Pyro, Heavy and Scout items the old way but the Sniper and Spy unlocks are part of the new system solely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I sort of preferred the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think a hybrid of both would be the best approach. That way those who are willing to grind achievements to get their stuff can do that and the more casual players can just get stuff randomly like they can now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's true. Some people already have most of the unlocks. Its pointless to try and stop them. However it can be difficult/boring to get some achievements so random surprises are a good way to go. Perhaps some sort of thanks of voting system might we worth considering. That way the 8 year old mic spammers and the trolls would be left with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Played it for a while yest, not really impressed tbh.

People where killing me with every shot, While i was sniping and hitting people a few times and they would still be alive wtf?? Even when i used the normal guns i'd start to spray someone and they'd shoot and kill me with 1 or 2 shots.. Also how do i change charactor mid round.

People where killing me with every shot, While i was sniping and hitting people a few times and they would still be alive wtf?? Even when i used the normal guns i'd start to spray someone and they'd shoot and kill me with 1 or 2 shots.. Also how do i change charactor mid round.

Comma ,

So far: The Ambassador x2
    Razorback
    Soldiers Stash (Soldiers helmet)

And all the previous ones I unlocked already (and now x2 ubersaws)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Atlas, were you "charging" the sniper rifle? The longer you stay scoped, the more damage it does. If you just click to shoot it will take 3-4 shots to kill heavier classes, unless you headshot them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I didnt think much of it at first either.

I forced myself to play for a few hours, then i really got into it. Took me a while to figure out the goal of each map, and each classes particular role and how they all complement each other for the team to win the map.

This game has far more longevity than left 4 dead imo, got bored of that in over a week, TF2 is still fun after a long time.

Advertisement