Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR remote access setup

Options
  • 21-05-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have a BT Voyager 2110 modem/router and the DVR is a Genesis SR04 and I have two external house cameras rigged up to the DVR. At home on my laptop I can access the DVR to view the cameras no problem by typing the DVRs IP into the address bar. If I do the same from an external PC, no joy. What I am asking is how do I setup the DVR and BT modem so I can view the cameras remotely? Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ok there are a few step involved here and really you need to let us know how good you are at this stuff because the detail will vary on your knowledge.

Firstly I presume you have a Dynamic IP at your house and not a static? This means your IP changes for time to time unlike a static which stays the same all the time. What this means for you is the IP your currently typing in on your laptop is your internal IP 192.168.1.100 or whatever. What you need to be typing in on the outside is your external IP. On a dynamic this changes on a statt doesnt.

So these are the steps:

If dynamic, srt up the DVR with a website that tracks your IP. The DVR's I sell have their own website so check if your DVR offers this.

Then once this is done you need to set up the router for port forwarding

Then dial in externally and test.

Now thats what you need to do, can you know tell me what part of that makes sense if any and we can flesh it out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

Hi there FusionNet,

1. My DVR has a static IP address setup.To setup port forwarding on my router (BTVoyager 2110), the PC needs to be setup to have a static IP address, is this correct?

2. On the DVR network menu when i go into PORT, the default settings are:- WEB 80, PORT 9091, RTSP 9092, RTP 9093 ~ 9099.

If you have a look at the following website it shows exactly what the router port forwarding looks like, but I am unsure of what to type in on my own router??
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager2110/QSee_QSDF8204.htm

3. Do you think there is anything else on the router software that I will have to change to, ie disable firewalls etc...?

Thanks again, hope the above info isn't confusing you... if so just ask...

Anyone, FusionNet.... run out of steam !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Usually, remote access requires that you set the router to pass on the ip address that your isp supplies to the PC that you wish to access. I presume that this would also apply to the DVR. (hope this makes sense?)
    I don't know about the Voyager but it's certainly easy to do on the Eircom netopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Didnt run out of steam no, just thankfully we're very busy right now :)

now Ill answer as you asked.

1) you give your DVR and IP and subnett, you also need to find out what its trigger ports are. The PC does not need and IP dynamic is fine

2) Hmm ok this is a little tricky to do here. Are you unsure which details for example (dvr ip 192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, trigger port 80) where to put these in on your router???

3) yes you may have to diable firewall. The main thing and most crucial thing your missing is your external IP. There is no point doing all this if you cant find it on the Net!! I presume this is a home system so more than likely you have a dynamic IP. Can you confirm this? Its one of two that you have, a static or dynamic IP. For a static you usually pay 50 quid for it and they only give to business accounts on eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Origipolo wrote: »
    I have a BT Voyager 2110 modem/router and the DVR is a Genesis SR04 and I have two external house cameras rigged up to the DVR. At home on my laptop I can access the DVR to view the cameras no problem by typing the DVRs IP into the address bar. If I do the same from an external PC, no joy. What I am asking is how do I setup the DVR and BT modem so I can view the cameras remotely? Thanks...
    See attached word doc for Voyager screenshots. You may have to open ports from 9091 to 9099.
    I am not saying that this is the best way to do this but it will work. You can then fine tune it to reduce the risks. At least it will give you the heart to carry on. Setting up DMZ is definitely not recommended as it opens up way too much. To redirrect to your own dynamic IP you can use the likes of dyndns or no-ip, both of which will allow to to set up a free account. Just google either and set up. I have used dyndns with the voyager. Be careful because they dont like IP update requests when there is no change of IP and will block the account for abuse.

Hello again people, I have given up on the static IP setup for the dvr. Its just not going to work as BT will not give me a static IP. Now, here lies the next problem. I signed up to dyndns.org, this enables me to use the dynamic IP. However when I type in my hostname in the address bar, I keep getting my router/modem configuration page. Why wont it log onto the dvr, any ideas what I am doing wrong? Is there something or some option on the bt voyager that I am missing out on. If I disable NAT... no connection at all.... please help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You need hostname:<port> usually

E.g. origipolo.dyndns.org:8080 or something similar......even with Dyndns you'll need to do port forwarding from your router to whatever port the camera app is running on.

Hmmm, tried that but to no avail. ***Pulling hair out now***:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Have you tried logging in from somewhere other than your own router. I always had trouble logging in from my own network using web address (no problem using 192.168.1.xxx). Could you borrow a mobile USB gismo. Thats what I alway use when setting up a voyager. Try getting a friend to log in from their web access. Are you using a web front end or a client front end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The port forwarding is the key here. It seems as though your router is listening on port 80. Therefore, if you login to your dvr, you should have the option of reassigning the port number that the dvr listens on for web connections. you should specify something like 8080.

Once complete, you will have to setup port forwarding on your router for tcp port 8080 to your DVR.

Advertisement