Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic conversion

Options
  • 21-05-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

have a basic 2 story detached which I bought last year. Attic area is large and has velux windows. Got quotes originally to convert with proper open riser stairs. All I want up there is 2 rooms, so basically I need stairs supply and fit, slabbing all round, insulation, electrics (lights and 3 & double sockets in each room) and plastering.

Last years quotes for above ranged from 27K - 11K (in rural galway BTW). Didnt go ahead for various reasons, but want to do it this year. rang the guy who gave the 11K quote and he remeasured, with a 2009 quote of 14K saying that materials had gone up in price...

I rang 6 other builders who had ads placed in the local press and looked for quotes. 2 didnt want to talk as they were busy, the remaining 4 agreed to call out at the weekend and give a quote...none turned up or even rang..

Almost going to go with the 14K quote (he will not drop any more). Or half thinking of getting the stairs direct and getting a chippie to fit and go on from there...
    thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Carpenter09

hi im a carpenter and can help if you want.if you want to give me a call my number is 087 6399205 thanks stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If you wanted to do it on the cheap you could insulate it with fiber glass ur self.

2 days work for a 2nd 3rd year aperentice to first and second fix it. 300 euro roughly.

Carpenter to fix stairs and doors in new rooms (if its stira stairs) say 700 euro (guess)

Slabbers to dry line it. 2 days work by the look of it for 2 of them 600 roughly.

Plaster. 2 of them it would take a day/ day and a half 800 roughly.

Go to ur local brooks/chadwicks/tennats and get a deal on materials.

It will cost u no where near what ur being quoted. Shop around alot of builders are out of work and will bite your hand off for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

back again..havent moved on this for personal reasons...but going to get started in the next few weeks.
    For the record, the stairs going in is a solid ash open riser, so supply and fit of that (cutting out hole in floor etc) is 2600.
    Outside of that the quote of 14K includes
    insulating the rafters,
    slabbing the whole area
    OSB flooring
    stud partitioning either side of the stairs to make 2 rooms and a landing
    red deal doors, architrave and skirting
    light fittings in each room, 6 * double sockets in each room, telephone and TV fitting
    plastered throughout.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

Seems a bit deer worth getting a second quote from someone. And tell the builders you were thinking of starting the work soon they wont be long in coming out to give you a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Not trying to be smart but you only get one chance at insulating this properly and when you open up the stairwell don't forget heat rises.

The point I'm trying to make is get a good specification drawn up and give it to everyone who is quoting that way you get exactly what you ask for or they don't get paid, it appears from your post that the details are not being taken care of.

How many times have you heard the phrase "He got what He paid for" ?

If you buy on price alone there are plenty who will take your money and leave You with both the consequences and the real long term costs.

Best of luck with your project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There are a lot of fire regs that need to be satisfied if you intend selling the house. And I *think* you need to look at planning permission if you are making habitable space up there too (sounds like you are).

Fire resistant slabs on 2nd floor ceiling and self closing doors on any door that opens to either stairs afaik.

Advertisement