Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goose and Pheasant - where to get

Options
  • 21-05-2009 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

I am interested in cooking Goose and Pheasant but am having trouble finding them. I was told by a butcher that its not the season for pheasant currently, is this the case ?

Does anybody know where I can find them, whens the best time for them, and any idea on their cost ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the buthcers beside donnybrook garda station sells them when they are available

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I am interested in cooking Goose and Pheasant but am having trouble finding them. I was told by a butcher that its not the season for pheasant currently, is this the case ?

Does anybody know where I can find them, whens the best time for them, and any idea on their cost ?

it is! ah the season is from firts of Novemeber to the end of january.ah i think lidl had them a while ago but my money is they are farmed ones!no chance of wild irish this time a ther year!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As ayapatrick rightly said the pheasant season is over since the end of January. Lidl regularly have geese in the freezer section. Usually €20+.

If you said what general area you were living in it may help posters direct you to a butcher in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Sorry should have mentioned that, am in Sandymount, close to the Dart line so can do bit of a travel for this

the buthcers beside donnybrook garda station sells them when they are available
    I know the place, it looks really good. I was planning on trying there actually

I don't really want anything frozen, I suppose I can wait till they are back in season.

I actually have a few more requests, a little weirder though and no doubt tougher to find.

Squab
    Rabbit <<< not just a leg like you get in Fallon and Byrne
    Oxtail
    Honeycomb tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Aldi and Lidl have big frozen gooseses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

as mentioned dunnes of donnybrook will source most things for you. they're great although a bit pricey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

felix buckleys on talbot street sell honeycomb tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

the butchers on moore st always have rabbit (whole) and any butcher should have ox tail, ive never had a problem getting it.

Cheers everybody

Any idea on squab and tripe ? I hear squab is really tasty

tripe on moore st again, havent been brave enought to try it, what is it like

• Advertisement

Cool I will try all the places mentioned this weekend

Tripe I've never tried but according to the Italian cook book I have, its a great piece of meat thats relatively inexpensive. Will let you know how it turns out when I cook it as well

I like cooking things a little bit off the norm. I much prefer a shoulder of lamb over a leg, so tastier.

+1 for the shoulder of lamb but i'll let u taste the tripe first :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

During the proper season Lawlors butcher on Upr Rathmines Rd and in Mortens by Beechwood Luas stop sells wild pheasant for about €9 each. They also sell partridge and quail.

They also have whole rabbit and many other tasty things like poussin and guinea fowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hear squab is really tasty
    Pigeon is very tasty.

Pan fried in olive oil & butter with garlic & a hint of thyme. Throw a few field mushrooms sliced thickly into the pan too. Finish with a good glug of balsamic vinegar & serve on a bed of rocket or other strong salad leaves.

Advertisement