Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old roadsigns around the county

Options
  • 21-05-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

saw a few very old ones from the 1950s and late 1960s. At the same time I noticed that some signs had been replaced by new Kilometre signs. Where can I find more of these old signs? I think the pole has to be painted black and white as well. It would be a shame to take them away as they are part of our culture.....When did you last see an old P&T Phonebox? There are two phoneboxes in Kinsale but they are ex GPO Telephones UK and dont really fit in, not with that dark green paint.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

should convert back to miles. or at least bring back all the old signs. the new ones look tacky and too 'european'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I strongly disagree with you towel. Road signs aren't ornaments for the misty-eyed.
    And the new signage is excellent: highly visible and very reflective. They are designed to be read while passing at speed. The old signs were awful from a functional point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

b103696515e67e308a99c722e4a0559f84da3eaf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

The old signs are part of our history and should be preserved. We do need the modern ones too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

The old ones were fine on the smaller roads but we need bigger and better signs on the new road system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

I'm sure there's one oldie "Rochestown" approaching from Passage West ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

or any oirish pub you venture into normally has one pointing to dingle:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

reic wrote: »
    b103696515e67e308a99c722e4a0559f84da3eaf.jpg

Are you on about the letter box or the titanic sign as the sign is only 10 or so years old lol.It was put in when the resturant was there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

It's the P&T postbox. Don't know how long it's there or whether they're still a common sight around the nation or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Furet wrote: »
    They are designed to be read while passing at speed. The old signs were awful from a functional point of view.

Probably explains the high number of accidents. I just noticed that a lot of old roadsigns are appearing in back gardens..........:( and I also noticed that Clonmel town council replaced the black and white miles signs (Fethard/Kilkenny)outside Easons and on the waterford road (Dublin 104 1/2 miles) this year with Green signs which have no distance.
    Shame........:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

marious wrote: »
    I'm sure there's one oldie "Rochestown" approaching from Passage West ;)

Yep, its CORK similiar to the Belgooly sign in my op, on the rochestown road.

Advertisement