Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Tax on Halifax's Visa Debit Card

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I currently have an account with BOI with a Laser Card but my online buying options are very limited.

So I've had a look at the Halifax Visa Debit Card and I see that it can be used in most stores, and some people have recently passed it off as a Visa Electron (free fees) card on Ryanair.

But if I'm to open a Halifax account just to use for online purchases -
    1. Is there an annual government tax on the debit card? and how much?
    2. Will they even allow me just open an empty account with no income (student) to lodge the odd €20 to spend online?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes - same as other banks €2.50 a year if you use only as an ATM card or only as a Debit card. If you use both functions €5.

They'll probably let you open an account once you have the right documents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Ah sweet, I thought the taxes were much higher than that.

Visa credit card would be standard €30.

Visa debit is no different than Laser from other banks. BTW, I don't think it works as Electron on Ryanair.

Well I saw over on another board that people have gotten them working now - just in the last month or two! Would be a brilliant saving - especially on those €1 flights - they'd really cost €1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thats good - I had assumed it was the standard €30 charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

gary82 - can you post the details?

It didn't work for me on Ryanair 3 weeks ago as Electron, so that's why I suspect they got wise and tweaked there payment system to pick up on it..easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Yep, i chanced my arm 2 weeks ago with the halifax debit card on ryanair and you will be told that it is not electron and to re-enter your details. I could have sworn it cost me 10 euro in tax for the card per annum also, i may be wrong though.

Ah ok, apparently it worked for some guy on this thread, but that was in March... they must have patched that since.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Yep, i chanced my arm 2 weeks ago with the halifax debit card on ryanair and you will be told that it is not electron and to re-enter your details. I could have sworn it cost me 10 euro in tax for the card per annum also, i may be wrong though.

Shouldn't do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Putting it through a credit card machaine it shows as a delta not an electron, just another type of visa debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

there is a government duty of €5 in total on the atm debit card
    this is broke down into 2 charges : €2.50 if you only use at an atm and another €2.50 incurred when used to purchase online or at point of sale

in relation to the lodgements of money - if you choose to refund the account by €150 a month then you are paid 7% interest which is calculated daily and paid monthly. if you do not fund the account with 1,500 then you will be paid less than 1% interest - but the account is ideal if you just need to card for occasional online purchases

Advertisement