Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far would you go to defend yourself & your home?

• 21-05-2009 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

In a nice deep sleep last night & got woken up by what I thought was someone breaking in. Instant panic set in.
    Looked out the front window & saw my neighbour doing his best (in his drunken state) to put his key in the door.
    Panic over I opened the window to tell him he had the wrong house but it got me thinking.
    I had stupidly left my phone downstairs, no house phone upstairs. I was also alone in the house.
    I also have access to a shotgun.
    So how far would you go to defend yourself? Or your home?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd pistol whip the burgler and set his dick on fire

or just let him take it, thats what insurance is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What ever it takes to keep my wife and kids safe. No if's or buts - no hesitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It depends who were in the house with me. If it were my family and it got to the stage where the individuals were physically in the house, I'd probably do the necessary to minimise trouble. It isn't worth it around family. In my own apartment yeah, I'd probably try to stop them I think.

Oh now I am here on my own and thinking about ths stuff and wait, was that the door?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

My stuff they can have. Its not worth risking my life or freedom over. If they threatened my family though I'd gladly send them to meet their maker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Biggins wrote: »
    What ever it takes to keep my wife and kids safe. No if's or buts - no hesitations.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If it came to family safety, my leg would be knee deep in his ass before he got a chance to say "I am not jeans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd pistol whip the burgler and set his dick on fire

or just let him take it, thats what insurance is for.

Let him/ her take what they want but I have a huge fear of someone attacking me. Insurance will cover it but even if they don't I can always buy things again.
    I was there last night with the shotgun on the floor beside me waiting for someone to come in.
    If it was a robber I think I would have sh!t my pants but I would be hopeful that the shotgun would go a long way to scare them into running out of here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have a sidearm and hollow-point ammunition loaded and within arm's reach of the bed.

I think you can guess my opinion. Should be a fairly low re-offender rate, I think.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I have a sidearm and hollow-point ammunition loaded and within arm's reach of the bed.

I think you can guess my opinion.

"Do whatever you want to me, just please don't take my gun!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

are you guys living in ireland? Didnt realise people had such easy access to guns over here... thats a little worrying... yeah if my family were threatened i think id do whatever i had to but its all very well typing this, id love to see what my actual reaction would be.. I dont think id cower away though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the styre is used by the irish army for a reason :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Nappy wrote: »
    are you guys living in ireland?

I'm not. But one of the things they got right here in the US is that they have said that you're not forced to be at a disadvantage when defending yourself.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Kill everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nappy wrote: »
    are you guys living in ireland? Didnt realise people had such easy access to guns over here... thats a little worrying... yeah if my family were threatened i think id do whatever i had to but its all very well typing this, id love to see what my actual reaction would be.. I dont think id cower away though...

Look at Manic_Moran's Location, not Ireland.

For defence of my family, I would do anything necessary to stop them being threatened.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Kill everyone.

Me too. I'd rather murder my own family than let some buzzed-off junkie thug do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Me too. I'd rather murder my own family than let some buzzed-off junkie thug do it.

I would high-five you but I'm covered in blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Someone tried to get in one night , not a good idea with 4 GSDs and a pyrenees mastiff there at the time (like this little guy : http://www.evcilkopekler.com/fotolar/1136917252pyreneesmastiff_09.jpg )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not. But one of the things they got right here in the US is that they have said that you're not forced to be at a disadvantage when defending yourself.

NTM
    Quite right. I have no doubt that a crook in Ireland has no moral quibbles or difficulties about breaking down your door with a loaded weapon. Good luck holding him off with the leg of your chair and a smile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Bad guy sushi is on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Overheal wrote: »
    Quite right. I have no doubt that a crook in Ireland has no moral quibbles or difficulties about breaking down your door with a loaded weapon. Good luck holding him off with the leg of your chair and a smile.

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people houses being broken into by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people house being broken by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.
    House shootings

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/man-shot-dead-at-house-in-co-antrim-1721687.html
    http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/shots-fired-at-house-in-graiguecullen-1676303.html

and some good ol' vanilla shootin's - theres plenty more, just search the Independent's website.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/gardai-investigate-crumlin-shooting-1728016.html
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/one-dead-two-injured-after-dublin-gun-attack-1731393.html
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/shooting-in-limerick-1734420.html

And thats just in the last month or so.

Its only BS until it happens to you.

Oh ho the Irish and their gunz - no srsly. Im tired of that US stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people house being broken by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.

Not hard to get, but quite expensive none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Overheal wrote: »

what the **** do any of those links have to do with burglaries?? :confused:

what the **** do any of those have to do with burglaries?? :confused:

The guns were stolen.

what the **** do any of those links have to do with burglaries?? :confused:
    They take your life dont they.

Its still someone breaking into your house to commit a crime. they have guns. and your govt has made sure you the law abiding citizen get a pointy stick to defend you, your family, your property and god forbid, protect whoever they have broken in to try and kill.

Also theres no conclusive evidence in the articles available to suggest that they werent armed burglaries. But thats sidestepping the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Quite simply.

They can get into my house, but they won't get out.

Quite simply.

They can get into my house, but they won't get out.
    I dont know why but this suddenly reminded me of

I suppose it could become the Irish Method to home security..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Once they seen me standing at the top of the stairs in a gimp suit with a chainsaw they would leave quietly.

Im not really a traditional Pj's type of guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think you can guess my opinion. Should be a fairly low re-offender rate, I think.

NTM
    Anyone stupid enough to break into a house with a tank in the driveway deserves all that they get. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Obsidian

I would have no qaulms about doing anything to protect my family, whether it means losing my freedom or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Touch my stuff and its 'say hello to my little friend' (9-iron that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

hard to say untill you find yourself in such a posittion,
    but i have quite a strong sence of survival, so at least a few people will get badly hurt.

just hoping it wont be me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I have a CCTV system outside as well as a silent alarm. Even if I slept through the entire fiasco I'm fairly certain that the perps would be caught.

If I woke up, I'd split them with a hurley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

If you broke into my home,and attempted to steal from me,threatening my family,I wouldnt just kill,it be a bitta torture first,a nice hard death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ive got
    a 50 kilo rotwiler crossed with a boxer... If they brake in I think il be protecting them allso have a cricket bat in my room amongst other bits and peace's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd cower in the bathroom and offer them dibs on the wife and kid if they left my laptop and CDs alone. I'm sure we could reach some compromise.

I wouldnt think twice about causing as much injury as possible to anybody who tried to break into my house and steal stuff/harm other family members. That would include use of a shot gun! Scum deserve what ever they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I would do whatever necessary, and go as far as was required to ensure the safety and well being of my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I have been woken up before with a weird bang
    Grabbed my tennis racket and ran about the house like a woman posessed (sp) in manky t-shirt and knickers with bed hair. Not a pretty sight for anyone.
    After checking whole house and each room/window no one, my adrendalin was up and ready for anything. It was the air vent that fell off wall into the bath that caused the bang.
    I live to fight scum another day

Alternatively, I have bolt lock on bedroom door. If someone did break in and I was on my own. Bolt door, got into ensuite and call the cops.
    Paramoid! moi!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Mace & an extendable wheel brace can go a long way to destroying an intruders enjoyment when urinating.
    I have previous experience with causing this.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I'd grab the shotgun and tip toe into the spare bedroom where the wife sleeps. Naturally I'd scare the sheeite out of her so once I've achieved that I'd jump into the bed beside her and bite hard on the duvet while giving a fearful running commentary as to what the burglar is doing. At this stage the burglar will be coming up the stairs. I turn to my terrified wife and say to her "It's you he wants. Offer him yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

Funny thing is my house was broken in last year, I slept all the way trough it. They took about 4k worth of stuff and the car (which they wrote off). Initially I was like “god If I had of woken up we would have a reservoir dog incident in my living room”. But after taking with my neighbour he told me his garden shed was broken into and they took his Lump Hammer and screwdrivers (not the normal ones but those massive ones that are about a foot long and really thick). So if there had of been a fight I doubt me, my good morals and superman boxers would stand a chance against these little scumbags

I don’t think you can answer honestly unless you have been in that situation. We can all say we would beat the living fcuk out of them but in all honestly some of us might actually kack ourselves.

Think about it. You’ve just been woken up and are walking around the house holding baseball bat or whatever you still don’t really expect to see anyone when you search those rooms (unless he is a really bad burglar and making loads of noise). So it will still be a shock when you see them. Where as they fully expect to see someone and come prepared to do whatever they have to to get away. They will have the upper hand straight away because they are mentally prepared for something to happen.

Even if you do catch them by surprise and beat the living fcuk out of them your still in a tough situation. They know where you live and the scum that break into houses are not the kinda people to just go “ ah that caught me. Win some, Loose some” there is potential that they will be back for revenge.

If they were just downstairs stealing telly’s etc then id probably give a shout and hope they get the scare and fcuk off with what they have gotten. Its only material stuff and is all replaceable. If they put me or my family in danger then I’d like to think I could go as far as is needed.

Now where did I put my Stealers Wheel tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I'd construct a time machine, travel to the past and brutally murder their ancestors thereby ensuring the break in never takes place.

Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The uncle was woken by intruders falling over deck chairs.He awoke to get his shotgun,went down stairs to see one looking in window.The uncle opened the window and fired about a foot from the lads face.Cue him running with another lad and the uncle firing after them.He has never been robbed since,or attempted to be robbed.

The uncle was woken by intruders falling over deck chairs.He awoke to get his shotgun,went down stairs to see one looking in window.The uncle opened the window and fired about a foot from the lads face.Cue him running with another lad and the uncle firing after them.He has never been robbed since,or attempted to be robbed.
    If he had shot them he'd have been the one locked up and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

KerranJast wrote: »

How do you know his uncle's name wasn't Padraig? :)

KerranJast wrote: »

Why?

The legend that is Padraig Nally is not locked up? Cant see why people would disagree with shooting someone who is trying to rob/hurt you or your family.

Cant see why people would disagree with shooting someone who is trying to rob/hurt you or your family.
    Shooting someone who is trying to hurt your family is A-OK and no judge or jury in the land would convict you once you used appropriate force. Shooting some sap for petty theft is out of order though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Lot of keyboard warrior answers here. realistically it's not as easy to say 'I would beat the head off them' because it just wont happen. you are after waking from a nice sleep probly still in your boxers and they will be geared up, probably with a weapon. not a chance will they take a slap without getting in a violent scrap. unless you can handle yourself call the police and make noise, put clothes on.

alternatively call 'the citizen'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement