Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text list of emails to CSV file - what program does this??

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi
    Anyone know what program will easily change a text only file of email list - one email address per line, ie email address, carraige return, email address... - change this into a standard CSV file that can be imported into Gmail contacts

I mean how hard can it be... but believe me it is and nowhere can an easy solution be found easily, I've been trying with word, excel and so on and nothing works, I dont' want to have to go through all my emails line by line and put commas in and delete the return entry between each line...

Is nothing easy? please tell me what to do, and why doesn't someone tell everyone how to do this, there's millions of people out there who cant get their email lists into their gmail account

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not exactly programming but anyway

1 -Download JEdit.

2 - Open Find/ Replace

3 - Check use regular expressions box.

4- Find: \n Replace: ,

5 - Done

I am sure there are loads of other ways and editors to do this but I couldn't figure it out in word or notepad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Copy and paste the list into Excel, it has a "Save as .csv" option (I assume Open Office does as well, it generally has better file type support)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Copy and paste the list into Excel, it has a "Save as .csv" option (I assume Open Office does as well, it generally has better file type support)

[Facepalm]D'Oh[/Facepalm] :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The_Saint

Thanks so much for your help with this

Marco_polo I'll be trying that right now, thanks so much for the attachment showing me how to do it exactly, otherwise I wouldn't have been able

Amadeus - I did try the Excel save as csv but it kept saving it as the same old line of text without any commas, (I'm using a Mac on osx leopard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Use a formula in Excel to add the ,

Eg put all your email addys into col A

in cell b1 type your comma (,)

In cell c1 type in =A1&$b$1

Fill down for all the values

Copy and paste special / values on col c to replace the formula with the new text

Del cols a and b

save as csv

Should work!

• Advertisement

amadeus thanks I appreciate, I think my brother can try help me with what you describe he uses Excel

I have tried and sucessfully converted the list into csv text file using the jEdit as Marco-polo suggested, but will my address book or gmail account accept it NO! it's now just a text file with emails seperated by commas and wont import, and when I put comma space between emails, still wont work, when I open this csv file in Excel and save as csv it still wont import

I'm telling you there's money to be made in someone designing a simple program that is fool proof for doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

did you try a simple file with just two email address seperated by a comma i.e
    email1,email2 and see if that works?

you need to narrow down the issue. Is it he csv file or the import process

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

From playing around, it seems that Google contacts wants entries for the contact name too, with each contact detail on a seperate line.

To get that, set up the Excel file as in the attachment before exporting as csv. As long as you paste the email addresses from C2 down, it should be fine.

Thank you all, I'll try that and let you know how I get on

Advertisement