Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what strange food

Options
  • 21-05-2009 7:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Would you like to try...?

I want to try, rattle snkae, scorpion crackers, blowfish, Horse, and many other which i can't currently remember but im curious how brave and adventuris are you ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I tried Horse once

It didnt really appreciate it, kicked me on the head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

A Grape, one day, one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've eaten Zebra, crocodile, elephant and various other African animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Donkey ( In Sardinia ) , very nice . Sort of a cross between veal and lamb , quite sweet.

Horse , did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

horse is wonderful; as far as I know snakes are not tasty, there should be a reason why they are not eaten in Europe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have eaten

Camel
    Kanga
    Croc
    Snake

Would like to try

Horse
    Dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have had, Monitor lizard, king cobra, panther, freshwater turtle, horse, crocodile, I hope to have some more to add yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm open to everything food wise ... have eaten horse, alligator, whale, grasshoppers and probably the strangest (because I didn't know that was what I was eating at the time) duck tongues (in Szechuan).

I'm seeing that people have eaten very 'strange' food :D
    can you please tell us how they tasted?

Crocodile is like Fishy Chicken (or Chickeny Fish ) :)

Kangaroo is like any red meat, but a bit more "gamey" probably closest to Venison I suppose.

Camel is tough as old boots, I probably wouldn't eat it again.

Snake is like Crocodile-lite

• Advertisement

horse - (France, Belgium, Netherlands) not too different to a good beef steak really

alligator - (in a cajun restaurant in the US) rather like a cross between chicken and monkfish, a bit rubbery though. It's only the tails that get eaten BTW.

whale - (in japan) imagine a slightly fishy tasting fillet steak :)

grasshoppers - (again in japan) tasted predominantly of the chillies they were cooked with really, but with quite a 'nutty' background taste

duck tongues - (in Szechuan province China) again the spiciness of the dish masked them a bit but (like many things!) a bit like small pieces of shredded chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Croc, kangaroo and ostrich are just the three I'd like to taste. Only because I've seen them in a butchers a few times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Ostrich is pretty good. It's also like a good fillet steak. I had some deep fried water beetle bar snacks in thailand and they tasted just like crisps. Pretty good with beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Would like to try fermented shark from Iceland, casu marzu, and live octopus (but not all at once)

Would like to try fermented shark from Iceland, ...
    Sounds a bit like surströmming, a rather disgusting fermented herring from Sweden. It's usually sold canned, and ferments so much that the tins bulge on the shop shelves, and even sometimes explode. I tried to eat it once but just couldn't get past the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Would like to try fermented shark from Iceland, casu marzu, and live octopus (but not all at once)

Hey man shark is the single most enjoyable sea creature I've ever had :D:cool:

The single strangest food I've ever heard of is Balut.
    A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell.

I won't actually post the picture, it is extremely distasteful looking, so do not click this if you are squeamish

http://manalang.com/philippines/images/lrg_philippines_0026.JPG

I don't know if I could eat that tbh.

Here's the Wiki article, complete with more pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Des wrote: »
    The single strangest food I've ever heard of is Balut.

I won't actually post the picture, it is extremely distasteful looking, so do not click this if you are squeamish

http://manalang.com/philippines/images/lrg_philippines_0026.JPG

I don't know if I could eat that tbh.

Here's the Wiki article, complete with more pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)
    :D:eek:

thats difficult to stomic looking at it....
    But thats damm near weird :D

The wiki entry looks great! I never tried this though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I had raw horsemeat in Japan. I was tricked into eating it -my friend told me it was tuna sushi. It was delicious however. I also tried whale and live squid in Korea. The live squid is tasty but sticks to the inside of your mouth as you try to eat it^^^

Never got around to trying dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Casu Marza - quote:

"The larvae have powerful mouthhooks which can lacerate stomach linings or intestinal walls as the maggots attempt to bore through internal organs."

Think I'll give that a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

The live squid is tasty but sticks to the inside of your mouth as you try to eat it^^^

A last-ditch effort to save itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

CJhaughey wrote: »
    panther,

Where and how? And whats it like?

I didn't think people ate big cats.

Ive had cicaddas. They were like crislpy oily spring rolls. Snake in a jar of whiskey not so good. Kangaroo is nice. Goat is fantastic.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I tried Horse once

It didnt really appreciate it, kicked me on the head.

Something simular happened to me, I was halfway through though and I thought to myself "I'm not as hungry as I thought."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

WindSock wrote: »

I had it in a small roadside foodstall in Malaysia, TBH I didn't see myself eating big cats either but it was in a sort of dark soya type sauce and after biting into the second shotgun pellet I enquired as to what the provenance of the meat was.
    Answer: Panther
    I finished the meal but would be in no rush to have it again.I recall it was kind of tough but tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

WindSock wrote: »

Ive had cicaddas. They were like crislpy oily spring rolls. Snake in a jar of whiskey not so good. Kangaroo is nice. Goat is fantastic.

Mmmm had some milk fed kid last year (goat veal, I guess).
    I was given a side of ribs from the kid and BBQd them.
    Was like the nicest pork I've ever eaten.
    Yumm

Advertisement