Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block laying: Tying in question.

Options
  • 21-05-2009 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the correct name for the "L shaped" thingys used to tie in to an exsiting wall? I have used them before but never bought them. They get fixed to the exsiting structure and you can insert supports at right angels for the new block to sit on. I have no idea what there called though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

azzeretti wrote: »
    Does anyone know the correct name for the "L shaped" thingys used to tie in to an exsiting wall? I have used them before but never bought them. They get fixed to the exsiting structure and you can insert supports at right angels for the new block to sit on. I have no idea what there called though!

I think its a wall starter kit you are after.

there is a similar post about this in the last few week where it was discussed in a bit more detail.

search back at check it out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Yeah, wall starter- Halfen, Bluebird and others do them..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Those kits are crap are you building a cavity wall?
    Are you building onto a cavity wall?
    If yes then first run a consaw up the full hight you intend to go in the centre of the cavity wall, make sure you cut right through then get a lenght of 6" damp course and slide it into the cut you made make sure its neat from bottom to top.
    now after every 2 courese nail in a L strap with a washered steel nail 30mm will do.
    I take it you are building onto an outside wall?
    The trouble with the kits is they are designed to the exact 225mm 215mm for the block and 10mm for the bed joint so if you put to much bed down over 5,6,7 courses you will find yourself getting high with your blockwork and low if your bed joins are small by putting the ties in when you need them gives you full control of the build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

You can get wall starters in any builders providers they come in sizes for solid blocke or cavity's and the L brackets can slide up and down to allow for even the worse block layer with huge beds of moter. Oh you get clips fore every course DONT FORGET :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The better quality kits have sliding ties to allow adjustment for each course. The problem with using L brackets and washered nails is that these won't be stainless steel and may corrode over time, causing far more problems in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement