Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Advice

Options
  • 21-05-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice on what type of dog would be best for us. Its a duplex, which means we don't have a back garden, but a balcony, however there is a green across the way from us. I really want to get a dog, but I'm not sure if it would be fair on a dog if we haven't got a back garden, or what type of dog would be best suited for this? I know that I would like a small breed, and preferably a dog that doesn't shed too much, any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

A Jack Russell? We've always had Jack Russells, great little dogs. As long as a dog gets walked at least once/twice a day they'll be happy to be inside. I'm sure most would prefer the run of an apartment than to be stuck in a little back garden all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You don't necessarily need a garden to have a dog ...just plenty of available time to take it out several times a day.

All the garden in the world isn't much good to a dog if it just gets chucked out there on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

A cavalier king charles or a whippet .terriers are great little dogs but are active.whippets make great pets .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

To be honest with you it doesnt matter what kind of dog you take as long as it is exercised daily and gets enough attention it will be happy to stay in the apartment while you are in work. I was 6 months off last year and had time to observe my dog's routine and when walked for a while in the morning and exercised properly in the evening (1 hr at least) he pretty much slept ( or observed the world through the window) and for the whole day knowing a long walk is coming. Just make sure the dog is compatible with you ( you prefer short hair, smaller dog, what gender, character). I agree with Morganna that lurchers and whippets are lovely dogs, they tend to be big though. 8 months ago we adopted a second rescue and they both stay in the house when we are in work ( again mostly sleeping and chilling) but get 1/2 hour in the morning and a proper 1 hour run in the eveninig. Have never seen happier, more chilled out dogs in my life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I agree with everything said above, you dont need a garden once the dog gets some excercise. Id recommend a cavalier king charles cos theyre great companions with loads of personality, dont need massive amounts of excercise and will love just being in the same room as you all the time! Just make sure you research about the breed dog your getting so you know what your getting yourself in for. Theres a number of great websites to look at thatll help and some of them hav questionnaires on them that you fill it out and it suggests a breed for you. Give it a go. I think theres one on dogbreedinfo.com and the kennel club website, just google them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know if you'd consider a greyhound, but they are the biggest couch potatoes in the world. They just need a couple of 20/30 minute walks a day to run around like lunatics for a bit. There are loads of greyhounds in rescues around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Thanks a million for all the replies, I have been looking at King Charles, Shih tzus and Yorkies, so I'll keep them all in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Poodles don't lose their coat ... :) and they're not too big ...

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Seconds (maybe thirds) for the greyhound/Whippet/Lurcher. Lovely pets and take up very little space for their size. :) Soooo lazy!

Yorkies and westies are fab too, any I've met have been spoiled little prima donnas who love their comfort (I mean that in a good way). My grans old King Charles died recently but was a complete house dog and did very well on a few shorter walks a day.

A toy poodle would be small and don't shed, a standard would be pretty large though.

JRTs are very very active and intelligent dogs and I've know loads who've given problems without the proper stimulation, but then the same can be said of any dog I suppose. They have huge personalities for their size. Little clowns.

Another you could look at, maybe a bichon, as far as I know they don't shed either.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Will you post pics when you get your new dog home please.

Advertisement