Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere nice to eat...

Options
  • 21-05-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm looking for somewhere nice to bring herself when she finishes her exams, we were in The Winding Stair a few months ago and loved it so I might just bring her there, but if anyone has any better ideas then please post em!

I'm also thinking about Chapter One (but is a bit too fancy Smancy?!)

Seven on Manor Street

Or Trocadero.

Never been in the last three so if anyone could tell me what they're like too would be great! Shanahan's is out of the question too!!!

Or maybe that place Fire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Not eaten out much in Dublin recently was in the winding stairs for lunch on sunday and it was nice.

Just to say about seven on manor street though I'm from round that area originally I've have heard bad things about it.

Check out Darwins on Aungiers street which I enjoyed and I've a friend who highly recommends Dax on Pembroke street though I have never been myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Luigi Malones in Temple Bar is quite reasonable and the food is tastey. Tante Zoe's is worth a shot too. Personally I'm rather fond of Ciao Bella Roma (sp?) on Parliment street. It's simple, food is excellent and it won't break the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

cant recommend enough the mill stone on dame street. girlfriend literally dragged me in about 6 months ago and i've eaten here about 6 times since.

776864_frontedited2.JPG.jpg

Reviews:
    http://www.menupages.ie/search/restaurants/millstone_restaurant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Chapter One is delicious but it's really pricey. I've only eaten there when my boss has been footing the bill, I wouldn't want to have to pay!

Diep Le Shaker off Baggot Street is awesome. The food's delicious, and not too pricey. They also do all kinds of cocktails too if you're looking to splash out. I'd definitely recommend it!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Right so! Thanks so far, heard that place Fire is lovely but it looks far too expensive, think the same goes for Chapter One. Gonna look into a few of the places yall recommended this evening.

What's Trocadero's like?

Been in Tanta Zoes, loved it myself too, Louigi Mallones is nice but we go there for lunch mostely, want to go somewhere kinda fancy because she's finished college for good! I know Winding Stair isn't really fancy but we quite liked the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

In my opinion Chapter One is worth it. It was possibly the most exquisite meal i have ever eaten. Certainly the finest in this country. 3 course meal is 35ish quid too so its not that bad. Total class start to finish. I paid 100 quid for the 2 of us with fancy bottle of wine + tea and coffee (was a special occasion) and didnt feel ripped off at all. compare that to when i was in Milano's couple nights before WITH the 2 for 1 voucher and still came to 40 quid. Wasnt worth 20 quid, was totally ripped off. At least Chapter One was amazing! Fantastic staff here as well (NO, i DONT work for them!! ha ha!)

Luigi Malones is also very nice, as was mentioned. Good food, but sometimes CAN be a little dodgy. Ive been about 7 or 8 times and i remember twice the food not being great. Other times was lovely though, and its cheap enough, you wont feel like you just ripped your pocket out for lunch.

Fire does seem overpriced. Never been (actually cancelled a reservation in favour of Chapter One) but i have heard that while it is decent and good food, its way too expensive and is really trying to be something it isnt - upmarket.

Otherwise, most places in Dublin are good these days. Prices are coming down, so take advantage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd have to agree about Chapter One - it's my and my wife's favourite restaurant.

We also like Peploes on St Stephen's Green North and the Town Bar and Grill on Kildare Street.

Grahamo999 - are you intending to eat at lunchtime or at night? The reason I ask is that some of the expensive restaurants do great value lunches and early bird specials.

Twill be at night, heard Chapter One's Early Bird is great alright, gonna ring em at lunch time and see if I can get a table!

Africa and Wishbone Ash talked me into it!

Rang just there and they close every Sunday and Monday even on Bank Holidays! So thats that one out the window

Either does Trocadero! She wants to go out on the piss with her college friends on Saturday...hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

another great alternative for you is the tea room in the clarence. They have a 3 course market menu at 26 euros. great value for great food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

- chez max just off dame street - beautiful french food
    - bleu bistro on dawson street

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll check all these places this evenin, has anyone ever been in Peploes on Sthephens Green? Looks pretty nice?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

des, i hope you have read and noted the op's original post

ahem, exams are finishing tomorrow :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

des, i hope you have read and noted the op's original post

ahem, exams are finishing tomorrow :p:p:p

Do any of these places have decent Vegetarian options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Des wrote: »

abrakebabra do a nice veggy kebab dessy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

abrakebabra do a nice veggy kebab dessy:pac:

I also know a place that doesn't do veggie options :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Des wrote: »

Chapter One has one veggie starter, gotas cheese something or other, and they have a choice of two veggie mains. Well they did when I was there. I'm a veggie too and I hate being left with no actual choice in a restaurant, but either of the two mains are delicious!

Diep Le Shaker do a gorgeous veggie pad thai, the tofu is so so soft and light. Yum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Louie's Bistro, newly opened on Mountjoy Square East - near the junction with Fitzgibbon Street.
    Very nice indeed.
    Reviews

spurious wrote: »
    Louie's Bistro, newly opened on Mountjoy Square East - near the junction with Fitzgibbon Street.
    Very nice indeed.
    Reviews

don't know anything about louies bistrot but menupages is pretty pointless to look at for reviews as they remove bad ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

don't know anything about louies bistrot but menupages is pretty pointless to look at for reviews as they remove bad ones
    Probably, but it doesn't change the fact that Louie's is fantastic value.

I was delighted to see it was full yesterday evening as they got off to a sort of slow start. I think people see it and think it's going to be much more expensive than it is. Their latest offer is a pre-theatre menu - three courses for two plus a bottle of fairly decent wine for 65 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Seven on Manor St is an abomination. Expensive and ghastly food, diffident service and cramped conditions. All that's wrong with this country over the last few years.

I was in Indian Ocean recently (on Montague St. (between Camden St and Harcourt St.)). I went for the meal deal for two: that's two starters, two mains and a bottle of house red for 40 quid. The food was as good an Indian you get this side of Wolverhampton, service was excellent, good spacing in relaxed environs. Top notch and cheap as chips to boot.

That deal runs all night, there are other deals earlier in the day.

humberklog wrote: »
    Seven on Manor St is an abomination. Expensive and ghastly food, diffident service and cramped conditions. All that's wrong with this country over the last few years.

I was in Indian Ocean recently (on Montague St. (between Camden St and Harcourt St.)). I went for the meal deal for two: that's two starters, two mains and a bottle of house red for 40 quid. The food was as good an Indian you get this side of Wolverhampton, service was excellent, good spacing in relaxed environs. Top notch and cheap as chips to boot.

That deal runs all night, there are other deals earlier in the day.
    Yeah the family were telling me Seven isn't great earlier, not able to go out when she finishes her exams because we're both busy every weekend and the day we were gonna go is off!

So we're going to wait till she gets her results to celebrate, so it gives me a lil bit more time to choose somewhere nice! Tried Chapter One and its booked every Friday and Saturday for the next 10 weeks:eek: No recession there I tell ya!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I'm also thinking about Chapter One (but is a bit too fancy Smancy?!)

I've heard great thinks about that restaurant and it's on my list to get to asap.

My fav restaurants in Dublin at the moment are:

l'Ecrivain
    The Balzac
    Hugo's
    Chez Max
    The Still in the Dylan Hotel.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Le Cave (Sth Anne's St.)would be my favourite.
    OP you could do a lot worse than have a look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Beruthiel wrote: »
    My fav restaurants in Dublin at the moment are:

l'Ecrivain
    The Balzac
    Hugo's

l'Ecrivain's portions have gotten so small it's ridiculous. Love the room that Balzac's in, had the most disappointing meal of last year in Hugo's was terrible, neither me nor contact I was meeting ate half of the main course and waiting staff didn't ask why, which is always a bad sign. Haven't been back since. Thought it was awful. Other choices get a thumbs up from me though.

jdivision wrote: »
    l'Ecrivain's portions have gotten so small it's ridiculous. Love the room that Balzac's in, had the most disappointing meal of last year in Hugo's was terrible, neither me nor contact I was meeting ate half of the main course and waiting staff didn't ask why, which is always a bad sign. Haven't been back since. Thought it was awful. Other choices get a thumbs up from me though.

agree with this although i still love l'ecrivain, but chez max and hugo have really gone to sh it in the last six months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Very nice indeed.
    Reviews

Couldn't disagree more. Such a disappointment, particularly after the rave reviews on that menupages site. Service was slow and food lacked flavour.

All in all, for that kind of money Chapter One is close by and their pre-theatre menu never disappoints.

ODS wrote: »
    All in all, for that kind of money Chapter One is close by and their pre-theatre menu never disappoints.
    Chapter One's early bird is 50% more expensive than Louie's.

I would agree Chapter One is definitely the best restaurant in that part of town, but it's not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Chapter One's early bird is 50% more expensive than Louie's.

I would agree Chapter One is definitely the best restaurant in that part of town, but it's not cheap.

37e for a top quality 3 course meal is far from expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

if you like indian food, Kinara in clontarf is amazing!!!
    its the nicest food ive ever tasted so far!
    plus they have a guy dressed up at the door, a door man u might call him! :)

Advertisement