Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best View of Cork City

Options
  • 21-05-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a spot that offers the best photographic view of the city?

(& no, I can't afford a heli nor will I sky dive)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

• Top of the Kane Science building in UCC
    • The Elysian
    • Top of this hill
    • ???

I'm not 100% sure the Elysian folks let civillians go up to the viewing deck though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

kaki wrote: »
    • The Elysian
    • Top of this hill
    • ???

I'm not 100% sure the Elysian folks let civillians go up to the viewing deck though :/

You get a better view from Collins Barracks by the RTE mast. Also, I'd say Hollyhill water tower would be a good one, but I've never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

kaki wrote: »

you can't get out onto the the top of the Kane, and without that it's hard to get a photo that's much better than this:
    3550452331_20fdbe35ae.jpg

(taken 5 minutes ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Ahh that's^ from like the 3rd floor or something.
    You could stick the camera out a window on the top floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Bill-e wrote: »
    Ahh that's^ from like the 3rd floor or something.
    bang on. that's where my office is :)
    You could stick the camera out a window on the top floor...
    I'll try that later and see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

deRanged wrote: »
    you can't get out onto the the top of the Kane, and without that it's hard to get a photo that's much better than this:
    3550452331_20fdbe35ae.jpg

(taken 5 minutes ago)

Oh, damn, I forgot that it was for photographical purposes. You can walk to the top of the building (8 or 9 floors, I think) and you do get a good view out west, to Bishopstown and the Lee Fields and beyond, but it's through glass, which isn't the cleanest...
    You get a better view from Collins Barracks by the RTE mast.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Illkillya wrote: »
    You get a better view from Collins Barracks by the RTE mast. Also, I'd say Hollyhill water tower would be a good one, but I've never been there.

I climbed that mast, great view from up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Christians on top of the hill, it's a private school so you'd have to be subltle though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

I drove around for a bit, still couldn't find a good vantage point. I wondered around the hillside behind MacCurtain St. ....

Jhazon wrote: »
    I drove around for a bit, still couldn't find a good vantage point. I wondered around the hillside behind MacCurtain St. ....

That's the hill where Collins Barracks is - you can see the big RTE mast from most of the city, but they sometimes don't let the public in.

A good choice, as you are new to the city, is climbing the steps of Shandon steeple - really nice view from there and the church is also a tourist attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

On the back road route from the airport that brings you into togher theres a point up there that gives a lovely view of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

The walk up to Sunday's Well gives a nice view of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Christians on top of the hill, it's a private school so you'd have to be subltle though!

Skulking around a school, with a camera, trying to be subtle, is an fantastic idea if you fancy being branded a pervert. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Léan wrote: »
    The walk up to Sunday's Well gives a nice view of the city.

+1

There is a great vantage point near the junction of Prospect Place (Sunday's Well Ave) & Sunday's well Road:
    Here

You could always go the the top of the Multi Storey Car Park at the end of North Main Street:
    Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Frankfield golfclub has a decent enough view of the city but t'is a bit far

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Got to be tthe Elysian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

There's a few places around the city. I've some pics up here that might give you a few ideas

http://stockireland.ie/view_photog.php?photogid=7&page_num=9

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sareail

Well obviously the top of Patricks Hill is always a good one. Its really nice at night, too :) theres an apartment block with a rooftop when you're leaving the city going towards Blackrock area, I'm not sure what its called though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Corcaigh abu

Go to the top of the County Hall - up to the Vertigo level! Floor 13 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

I always liked the view from the parapet of the Elizabeth Fort at the bottom of Barrack St but it's been closed for what seems like forever now.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    I always liked the view from the parapet of the Elizabeth Fort at the bottom of Barrack St but it's been closed for what seems like forever now.

What is the story with it?
    I've tried to get up there but all the gates were locked.
    I wonder would the lads in the station have access and the time to help?

Go to the top of the County Hall - up to the Vertigo level! Floor 13 I think

The top 2 or 3 floors are now privately rented so only staff for that company have access to those floors ( unless you know a man that knows a man, check my sig for pics ).

The highest you can get is the 14th floor (I think) and this is the view

CountyHall88copy.jpg

ajsp. wrote: »
    The top 2 or 3 floors are now privately rented so only staff for that company have access to those floors ( unless you know a man that knows a man, check my sig for pics ).

I was on the top floor once fixing a wireless link... nice view alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I think you're all missing the obvious solution:

Viewing Platform of Shandon Steeple. Its a few quid to get in but well worth it and has 360 degree views of the City:
    cork-city-skyline.jpg
    www.inphotos.org

Also, the views from the top of Richmond Hill and Rathmore Park are second to none!
    2850689-Cork-City-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

County Hall? Sound like a plan. Too bad the Elysian wasn't open to the public because that would be superb! Might also try the Shandon Steeple if I have some extra coins. After numerous attempts of driving around Collins Barrack area, I could not find a spot suitable for a nice few of the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dennisc24

If you have a car, go down this narrow road where the green marker is. On Google Maps it just shows as a tiny little cul-de-sac, but there's actually a narrow country road that runs paralell to the Airport Hill. Halfway down, you will see what is by far the most magnificent view of the whole city. I work near the airport and some evenings I will go to the trouble of driving down this narrow road/track on the way home from work just for this view. Sorry I don't have a pic for you.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.849202,-8.474414&sll=51.897865,-8.471094&sspn=0.055099,0.128059&ie=UTF8&ll=51.849194,-8.474321&spn=0.012672,0.027595&z=15

The narrow road ends at this green marker, just so you know where you're gonna end up:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.866165,-8.479393&sll=51.849194,-8.474321&sspn=0.012672,0.027595&ie=UTF8&ll=51.863772,-8.469901&spn=0.012668,0.027595&z=15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Cool_CM wrote: »

I doubt anyone wud mind you taking photos in christians during the school year! The hall monitor is sound out anyway so if u ask him he shud say its ok :-D some nice views over most of cork city if the day is good! Also you could try to get into bruce college too which also has nice views.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RubyLamb

Top of Patrick's Hill - easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There is a nice view from Blarney St Community Centre, near Shandon. Though access to the yard and railing from where the view is, is locked when not in use, so you would have go there when there some sport being played in the hall, but it's worth checking out.

You can see the green fields beyond the city in a good 180 arc from that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

The top of Patrick's Hill and of course Shandon are the two that traditionally spring to mind. Now there's the Elysian and you can't forget The County Hall either!

Advertisement