Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas are now friends of Immigrants?? but not Turkey

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Libertas believe immigration is good but then treat us to a tirade of nonsense about immigration Irish Ferries style. They also say that in 2007 90% of new jobs went to non Irish - well considering we were at full employment in 2007 it wasn't as if Irish people were being left on the dole queue.

Libertas then go on a ridiculous rant against Turkey and how they are now the only one's going to stop Turkey joining the EU. Talk about fear politics.

This is despite the fact that a huge number of countries including France etc will not let it happen but according to Libertas without them we will be swamped by Turks.

I mean give us a break!!

They are really scraping the barrell now. Its disgusting and scary all at once. Is this the future of politics in Ireland?? I really hope not.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/libertas-views-misrepresented-1746381.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Declan Ganley was himself an Irish immigrant in Britain and has huge respect and empathy for all immigrants.

Err... wasn't he born and bred there?

Surely he means he is a British immigrant in Ireland?
    A vote for Libertas is a thumbs up for friendship, free-travel and free-trade throughout the EU.

We currently have free travel. Blue Cards will RESTRICT free travel. RESTRICT!!!!!

Wtf is this orwellian sh*t? War is peace? Restrictions are freedom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Err... wasn't he born and bred there?

Surely he means he is a British immigrant in Ireland?

Actually, both, to a degree. His parents were Irish immigrants in Britain, and he is a British immigrant in Ireland. It really depends on how pedantic you want to be, but the word 'indecisive' springs to mind about the Ganleys. But technically that just means he is Irish with a funny accent.

With the 'blue card' 2-year visa notion that was bandied about, I'd find that somewhat ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

kevteljeur wrote: »
    ... but the word 'indecisive' springs to mind about the Ganleys...

I prefer "protean".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Honestly guys, I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I guess that all depends on the results of the election! We can afford to laugh at them should they do terribly, but we could really be in for it if they do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Well, we'll have ourselves to blame. Just a random Googling of 'Germany 1933' threw this link up, and I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm

In a nutshell, it's times like these (recession, and Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) when people start clutching to anyone who promises real change, and revenge on the percieved enemies. It'll start with Turkey, but then move closer to home, and then the movement will need to find enemies further afield. Real enemies, to fight. It can only end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Libertas (or someone else?) removed the poster of Ganley in Eyre Square here in Galway where someone drew an Hitler mustache on him, i wish i took a picture now

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

ionix5891 wrote: »
    Libertas (or someone else?) removed the poster of Ganley in Eyre Square here in Galway where someone drew an Hitler mustache on him, i wish i took a picture now

Hahaha, brillient! :D

It's scary to think people might vote for that shower...

Not that I'd ever do such a thing but I'd be sorely tempted to white-out the word 'you' in the Libertas posters that say 'Let's get the European Union working for you. Declan Ganley'

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Libertas = the new face of fascism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Not that I'd ever do such a thing but I'd be sorely tempted to white-out the word 'you' in the Libertas posters that say 'Let's get the European Union working for you. Declan Ganley'

:pac:
    Did you mean "Let's get EU working for you, Declan Ganley"..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

From the Libertas book I got today, the blue card system basically means that someone can move wherever they want within the EU to work, volunteer, study etc but will be unable to get any help from the place theyre living such as health insurnace etc.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me; let's you use cheap labour without having any responsability towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

From the Libertas book I got today, the blue card system basically means that someone can move wherever they want within the EU to work, volunteer, study etc but will be unable to get any help from the place theyre living such as health insurnace etc.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me; let's you use cheap labour without having any responsability towards them.

'Tis the way of the right-eous...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adr

DFS UTD wrote: »
    Libertas = the new face of fascism

If you forgot it's Libertas who stopped Lisbon Treaty. If they don't do it again you will see what fascism means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

adr wrote: »
    If you forgot it's Libertas who stopped Lisbon Treaty. If they don't do it again you will see what fascism means.

Funny that considering Fascists all over Europe are jumping on the Libertas ship:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like the fact that their supporters are buying into this idea. It means that they'll never really grasp what they need to do to actually get elected in this country.

SF were the primary movers behind the no to Lisbon, that combined with Libertas and Youth Defence (or whatever they are called these days) formed a very interesting cocktail.

Libertas did well in the middle class as a respectible business man who made some solidish arguments against the treaty [solid in the sense of good sounding]. However those people would never vote for a Libertas candidate, just like they'd never vote SF. Hell even SF can't cash in on the no vote despite so much of it coming in Dublin, Mary Lou still looks like she's going out.

The idea that Libertas won the Lisbon Referendum is an press fantasy, one they are running with because it's slightly better than acknowleding the truth, that the Yes side were absolutely god awful (something they can't acknowledge because they'd be accused of disrespecting democracy etc. etc.) and that SF were the main drivers on the ground [Ya know, the people who rob banks, peddle drugs and knee cap people].
    As such, they focus on Libertas, because its a nicer thought.
    Libertas seem to be buying into press hype though.

Why wait? Look it up in a dictionary now!

cheekily,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Was Fine Gael's first leader not one Eoin O'Duffy the blueshirt facist?

The founding fathers of what would become Fianna Fail and Labour used violence in 1916 to achieve their own ends in spite of the overwhleming voice of Irish people opposed to them.

I fear Declan Ganley has some way to go to match those facistic thugs....:cool:

Was Fine Gael's first leader not one Eoin O'Duffy the blueshirt facist?

The founding fathers of what would become Fianna Fail and Labour used violence in 1916 to achieve their own ends in spite of the overwhleming voice of Irish people opposed to them.

I fear Declan Ganley has some way to go to match those facistic thugs....:cool:

Nearly a century of intervening history, for one thing.

shooting fish in a barrel,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Why wait? Look it up in a dictionary now!

cheekily,
    Scofflaw

Hes busy posting elsewhere, oh wait whats that he has 1 post :D

Nearly a century of intervening history, for one thing.

shooting fish in a barrel,
    Scofflaw

Ah yes but the 'esteemed' politicans you would have us for vote for - Cowen, Ahern and so on - idolise these facists who tore up Dublin in 1916 without any public support - Ahern had a picture of PH Pearse in his office!!

So no distance has been put between FF and their facist founders like DeValera and Lemass - hardly in any position to lecture anyone else I reckon. :p

• Advertisement

Ah yes but the 'esteemed' politicans you would have us for vote for - Cowen, Ahern and so on - idolise these facists who tore up Dublin in 1916 without any public support - Ahern had a picture of PH Pearse in his office!!

So no distance has been put between FF and their facist founders like DeValera and Lemass - hardly in any position to lecture anyone else I reckon. :p

Actually I vote Green - and while Ms McKenna may have injected a certain note of hysteria to the proceedings, I don't recall any actual bloodshed. On the other hand, I'm quite a fan of Michael Collins, who was, of course, a murderous bastard - but a competent murderous bastard.

As a side note, assuming people's political preferences is inclined to make one look foolish. Still, one is one's own keeper. On an entirely different side note, I see that it may be time to institute something of a purge of the misuse of the term fascist (or 'facist' as you have it) around these forums. Calling people you disagree with fascists is too low a form of 'discussion' to be worthwhile - and in that respect, I am your current keeper.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... As a side note, assuming people's political preferences is inclined to make one look foolish. Still, one is one's own keeper. On an entirely different side note, I see that it may be time to institute something of a purge of the misuse of the term fascist (or 'facist' as you have it) around these forums. Calling people you disagree with fascists is too low a form of 'discussion' to be worthwhile - and in that respect, I am your current keeper...

You're taking a fascist position.

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There was a time when people understood the term. It's a shame that the time when people understood the term appears to have passed entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Lisbon greatly increases the powers of the European Parliament giving MEPs co-decision making powers with the Council of Ministers in approx. 95% of all EU decision making areas. If you remember there are democratic elections about to take place to choose MEPs in a less than a fortnights time.

Personally, I'm puzzled how you seem to be of the opinion that this will lead us all to "see what facism means". Is this a case of "Democracy = Facism" or something like that?

Calling people you disagree with fascists is too low a form of 'discussion' to be worthwhile.

Shame that precedent wasn't set at the beginning of this thread.

Or maybe you had taken your third latte of the morning over your Sunday Times and what with all the excitment of that wonderfully sporting Leinster victory you just couldn't contain yourself could you? :D

Declan Ganley is standing in the West and North West of Ireland - some distance from you latte supping Leinster folk on the other coast.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Shame that precedent wasn't set at the beginning of this thread.

Or maybe you had taken your third latte of the morning over your Sunday Times and what with all the excitment of that wonderfully sporting Leinster victory you just couldn't contain yourself could you? :D
    If you've nothing of value to contribute, please refrain from posting.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you've nothing of value to contribute, please refrain from posting.

I'm pointing out that tags such as fascism were introduced onto this thread by opponents of Ganley without challenge.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm pointing out that tags such as fascism were introduced onto this thread by opponents of Ganley without challenge.
    I'm sorry, I could have sworn you were being a smartarse, what with all the talk of lattes and all.

The admonition to understand the, y'know, meaning of a word like "fascist" before using it applies across the board. Back on topic, now.

Declan Ganley is standing in the West and North West of Ireland - some distance from you latte supping Leinster folk on the other coast.

Yes but this particular Leinster folk lives in G-G-G-Galway and is putting Ganley last on the ballot...

Honestly... west v east? Is that the best Libertas can do? Would you vote for Robert Mugabe if he came from Kiltimagh!?

Must try harder...

• Advertisement

how would you describe him?

Advertisement