Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Library Closing Hours

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Library is opening Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:30pm. Which kind of sucks when you have a thesis due in. How do you feel about it. Who do we talk to about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

This is really awful. I have a thesis to do aswell.

If we contact the library they'll only respond with a quick line about cutting back etc.

It'd be interesting to know if the SU have tried to campaign against it. Who would you contact for this - Education or Campaigns and Communications?

I'm actually really shocked and a bit stumped. My college library is providing me with 9 hours a day in which to do thesis research.

I doubt Trinity will allow UCD students to avail of the 24 hour postgraduate rooms? Although we can use their library. They don't have their summer timetable up yet but it closes at 10pm up until June 11th which is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well I dont know about the SU at this stage. They are winding down for the summer so I dont think they will want to start any big campaigns. You do know they have a postgraduate officer?

Did you get that email that went around there. Someone is trying to organise something about it.

Dear postgraduate,

We would like to draw your attention to the severely curtailed opening hours of the James Joyce Library over the summer.

From Monday the first of June, which is in less than two weeks’ time, the library will only be open from Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.30pm for the months of June, July and August. This means that the library will be open for 45 hours a week.

Last year, proper summer opening hours started on the 30th of June and lasted until the 31st of August. In those two months, the library was open for 73.5 hours per week (Monday-Saturday).

While it is appreciated that financial cutbacks and reduced library users over summer may lead to changed opening hours, the proposed summer opening hours are a grave cause for concern. This summer the James Joyce Library is open for 28.5 hours less than last year, and this is a very worrying development.

Many postgraduates need the summer months to get a considerable amount of research and writing done but the university does not facilitate this by closing the library in the evenings and at the weekend. The library is the most fundamental research facility within the college and this curtailment does not reflect its importance in the academic community.

What are your thoughts on this?

It would be great if many of us could get together and contact the college administration to voice our concerns.

If you are concerned about this either on your own behalf or on behalf of your graduate colleagues then please reply with your message of support to <mary.doyle.1@ucdconnect.ie> or <rosalinde.schut@ucdconnect.ie> as soon as possible.
    Time is running out as the proposed changes will take effect from Monday the first of June.
    Best wishes,

Yes, I'm aware there is a postgraduate officer. Incredibly invisible, but yes I don't doubt he or she exists.

Thanks for sharing the email. Will send on my support and forward it to my classmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That's absolutely ridiculous - how can anybody get a thesis done in UCD with ridiculous opening hours like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I get that there's cutbacks and all that, but couldn't they at least manage to stay open late one night of the week or open on Saturday mornings or something.

One would imagine that given the range of PG courses run by UCD there are a sizable amount of people with theses due.

From next week on if I wanna go to the library I gotta take a half day from work, which really sucks balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Does anyone know, if and how long the arts block is open in the evenings and on weekends?
    I need JSTOR access, but work during the day and it isn't working from home.

Advertisement