Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Charge for Pack from England

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I have a quick question and dont know where to post it, I purchased stuff off www.mymemory.co.uk which came to a total of €60.09 or something to that extent and received a notice this morning that there was customs charge of €19 something on it. It only came from England. Is it right that I'm charged for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Probably because they're based in Jersey. Was there any mention of vat, as some Channel Island businesses register as part of a special UK vat scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

ive never been charged for stuff comin in from the EU and that does sound excessive, but again.... Desperate times, desperate measures.... Government are trying anything to claw back money !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

no , there should be no customs charge from within the EU.

Are you sure the item was actually posted in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am sure they are Jersey based as bought stuff from them before and it says on their site that its shipped from Jersey hence every right to charge VAT on it I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cough cough "Channel Islands" cough cough.................:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ring the courier company and look for a detailed breakdown of the charges. If it is from the UK there should be no duty (inter-EU), but it's a different story if it's from Jersey etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It was An Post that were delivering it. I have a sneaky suspicion there was Jersey on the pack. He didn't give me the pack, he said to collect it in the post office:( in future I'll know to seperate the orders. €20 customs, I shoud've went and ordered something from American Eagle instead:mad::mad:

How do you work out the customs, is there a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

mymemory.co.uk are not in the UK. They're in Jersey (Channel Islands), as per their website - http://www.mymemory.co.uk/contact-us

So, products bought from them are liable for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Ok that solves that. Dam Channel Island.:mad: I suppose its still cheaper than if I was to buy the stuff here. And yes I do rather support our economy but €20 for a 16GB Memory Stick is better than I could find around. Lesson learned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Charges are normally VAT + handling fee. The handling fee is anything from 5-15euro. 19 sounds about right for your order, as a quick rule of thumb is to add 1/3 of the order cost to cover for possible customs fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I order from mymemory all the time, great shop, cheap & genuine, cheaper than DX and the like. Always from jersey
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Lesson learned
    The real lesson to be learned is to order your stuff from them individually, they have no postage charges so there is no saving to be had by ordering in one big order. I put individual orders in at £21 all the time, since they come separate they do not get you for customs (though in theory they actually can get you if loads arrive around the same time, I have never heard of it happening though)

Advertisement