Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspergers Syndrome and Non-Verbal Learning Disability

Options
  • 21-05-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all

This summer I'll be working at an american summer camp where a lot of the kids have been diagnosed with one of the above. I'll be teaching sport to them for about 3 hour long sessions a day, and I guess playing surrogate parent/friend/mentor the rest of the time. The kids are all aged 9-16.

I've very little experience working with kids with Aspergers or NVLD so I was wondering if anyone who has a child with one of those could give me a few tips before I go? I will receive training, of course, but I'd like to hear a little from parents/relatives so that there's no real "breaking in" period where I'm getting used to adapting to their needs.

I have tonnes of questions but can't seem to articulate them :o I guess just are there any tips on how to communicate best with them and how to help them to communicate back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

My 5 year old nephew has Aspbergers/PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified). As with other children on the autism spectrum, he dislikes being touched or cuddled.

He takes things said to him very literally, so wordplay such as "you're so cute I could put you in my pocket!" is out of the question, and if he's told that at such-and-such a time he'll be able to do such-and-such an activity, you can bet your boots he won't forget, and will be highly distressed if there's no follow-through.

He generally prefers to play alone, so needs gentle encouragement and extra patience when trying to engage him in group activities, as he gets easily overwhelmed when there's a lot going on around him.

He also has dietary restrictions, which we're all careful to abide by; letting him have anything with dairy in it can mean days of hyper-activity and extreme mood swings.

He doesn't understand social tact, and will say exactly how he feels, which can be unsettling for those with easily bruised feelings (I think it's a breath of fresh air, myself).

All that said, he's a loving and intelligent boy. He follows rules to the T, is affectionate - in his own way, and on his own terms - and is kind and gentle to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

I have a non verbal child but she is younger than the kids you will be working with. I would recommend that if you want to do some advance preparation, look into Pecs(picture exchange communication system) and Lamh(Irish sign language system, I don't know the name of the American equivalent) .There may be more methods but I only have knowledge of these.
    I have also done the Hannen parents it takes two to talk program which is great at teaching you to engage young kids in play and keep their attention.

Best of luck.

Advertisement