Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With My Bad Diet

• 21-05-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was having a look at a few threads and am suddenley worried that my diet is very unhealthy... I'm about 130 pounds and id say around 5 foot 6/8.

A usual days food;
    2 weetabix, full fat milk and sugar
    Microwave lasagne/ chinese or chippers for dinner
    Pack malteasers or an ice cream
    Toasted sandwich or pitta bread
    2 slices toast

I'd cook a proper homemade dinner only around once a week.

Any easy ways for me to improve my diet? Not looking to lose weight just to eat a bit healthier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

You don't say anything about what you drink!!!

Number one thing to do is to try drink at least 1.5 litres of water every day!!!

Can also try any of the following:

1. Cut out the microwave dinner, chinese or chips!!! Do you have a freezer?? When you cook the proper dinner cook extra protions and freeze and have it again!!!

2. Add some fruit and veg too...

3. Try salad / soup for lunch rather than salad but if you eat on the run its not practical!!!

Try one of the above!!! Even only have the take away once a week!!! Hope this helps... Its hard and more costly to eat healthy!!

Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I think you probably know yourself where you're going wrong. It's not too bad of a diet but -

- use low fat milk (no reason not to :confused:)
    - put fruit on weetabix instead of sugar ( i put kiwi everyday)
    - can't beat a sandwich for lunch everyday I reckon
    - if you have to eat microwave meals choose healthier ones (eg chicken curry etc) but unless you've a really hectic schedule you chould cook for yourself in the evenings. Pasta is cheap, quick and affordable and there are tons of variations you can make on it. Rice and grilled fish, chicken etc with frozen veg is another easy option.
    - Instead of a toasted sandwich and then toast have a toasted sandwich and then nuts or a yogurt or something

This is assuming you're not overweight though - if you are you should probably eat less than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

A usual days food;
    2 weetabix, full fat milk and sugar
    Microwave lasagne/ chinese or chippers for dinner
    Pack malteasers or an ice cream
    Toasted sandwich or pitta bread
    2 slices toast

I'd cook a proper homemade dinner only around once a week.

Any easy ways for me to improve my diet? Not looking to lose weight just to eat a bit healthier.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the weetabix. might be an idea to mix it up every now and again with oats/eggs/fruit/yougurt

why is there no fruit or veg in your diet? replace the maltesers/ice cream with fruit/nuts/cottage cheese or if you really just crave something sweet switch to dark chocolate 60% or higher - preferably 70% or above. you may not like the taste at first but it really grows on you!!!

you already know how bad your dinner is. switch for lean meats like chicekn, turkey etc and cut of visible fat on meats/ plenty of veg - full of fiber and bulk you up/ sweet potatoes etc. i love stirfrys with veg,prawns and lots of seasoning - loads of flavour in it.

swap your toast for ryvita maybe with some banana/peanut butter or other nut butters

no need for a toasted sand/pitta AND a further 2 slices of toast.

ideally you should have portion of veg/fruit and a healthy fat at every meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭salonfire

Buy an electrical steamer - Tesco Value ones are available

Chop up the veg into pieces, stick it in the steamer and cooked veg is ready in 20 mins.

Surely you have twenty mins every evening !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You only eat crap. You need much more vegetables and fruit etc. You eat none. :eek:
    Try stir fries or roast vegetables or something, until you find something you like. Eat nuts or seeds or something for snacks, maybe make your own popcorn as a start, not the microwave ones. You could try eggs for breakfast too, nom nom.
    You should also eat less bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

+1 on roasted veg, they are so delicious. Roasted squash and sweet potato only take 20-25 mins to cook, just drizzle with olive oil, bung in the oven and you're away. They are really filling so you shouldn't be reaching for the ice-cream afterwards.

It's all about getting in to good habits, when you feel like you want to snack, drink a glass of water and wait a few mins, sometimes it's easy to mistake thirst for hunger. Also, try and keep yourself busy, I find boredom will send me running for the biscuits. Try eating healthy snacks like chopped fruit, or a handful of nuts when you really need a snack. If I really fancy something sweet, I will have a cheap ice lolly (they're practically all water anyway) I know i'd be better having nothing, but a Tangle Twister only has about 60 cals, so better than a half tub of Ben&Jerry's!

My best tip is not to have junk in the house in the first place! It's so easy to eat if it's just sitting in the press, whereas if you have to physically have to go and buy it, you're less likely to want it.

Advertisement