Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way of freshening up a helmet?

• 21-05-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Is there any way of freshening up a helmet which after three years of wear (not 24 hours a day mind you -jJust a 30 minute commute) is beginning to pong from perspiration? The pong is not horrible just a little off-putting. Or do I bite the bullet and buy new? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

wait4me wrote: »
    Is there any way of freshening up a helmet which after three years of wear (not 24 hours a day mind you -jJust a 30 minute commute) is beginning to pong from perspiration? The pong is not horrible just a little off-putting. Or do I bite the bullet and buy new? Thanks

Some helmets like the Arai Rx7 let you take out the inside lining and wash them. If you can't, you could always try Oust spray to kill the bacteria causing the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

As far as I know, even if the lining on the inside can't be removed, it's still ok to put the helmet in a basin on soapy water and give the inside a scrub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Put one of those tumble dryer sheets in side the helmet, and seal the helmet in a plastic bag for 24 hours.

Will freshen it right up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

Great folks - will try the tumble drier sheet first then move on from there.
    There's an advert here somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking someone elses post but, is it not common place for helmets to have removeable linings or it just reserved for high end stuff like the ARAI mentioned already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

wait4me wrote: »
    Is there any way of freshening up a helmet?

Or do I bite the bullet and buy new? Thanks

Yes there are way's of freshening up a helmet, if its worth it

But after three years of wear and tear its probably only good for the bin

bite the bullet and buy a new one, you only get 1 head ;)

LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Vanish carpet foam , follow instructions and then leave to air dry. BTW have u checked the expiry date on ur lid!! ur lid could well be out of date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Bryn wrote: »
    As far as I know, even if the lining on the inside can't be removed, it's still ok to put the helmet in a basin on soapy water and give the inside a scrub

I also read in a magazine that you can dunk a helmet in a basin and it wont cause harm.

But as said before....3 years is about the lifetime of a helmet for safety reasons....arai claim 5 years but thats from date of manufacture (on chin strap) and not date of first use.

Advertisement