Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lock down windows/PC

• 21-05-2009 12:03pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I sell PC's and provide a credit facility of 30 days. In the last 6 months I have lost 2 PC's to people but instead of 100% removing the facility as it does have more pro's than con's is there a way to put a 30 day access on the PC or the OS?

I am a programmer so MAYBE i am in the wrong forum but is there a way to do this say in Windows normal and safe mode?

I was thinking of writing an app that runs on startup, after 30 days it locks windows and requires a activation key, if they dont have the key they can't access windows, but this maybe open to clever people getting in,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone with a little bit of technical ability could just format the disk and install their own OS. I don't see any way to prevent that in software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

you could reinstall the OS on the pc yourself and don't activate it.

take any stickers off the pc with the product key.

then only activate after receiving payment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you'd have to lock down the BIOS to stop it booting from Floppy , CD, USB , etc. but too easy to bypass this to bother.

there are apps you can get to phone home, but not really worth unless you have a high rate, if you had an ftp server or mail server you could have an app write the IP to them, but messy on privacy and not much an individual can do with just an IP

Another option would be to name and shame, local ads or shop windows, small claims court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

cant lock down a PCs bios until after they don't pay and by then he'd have no access.

you could write a call home program and have a kill switch in it.

but really you should be repossessing the PCs. not sure the procedure.

activation would work but there are cracks that bypass that, but non IT people might not be aware. just reduce credit to 28 days, and that gives you 2 days to go activate/email the product key to them

Advertisement